Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

keeping weight off(50+)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

keeping weight off(50+)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-05, 06:02 PM
slickrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
keeping weight off(50+)

Each winter I have a terrible battle keeping 5-10 pounds off during the winter. The problem occurs when I can't ride outside due to ice and snow (notice I didn't say cold since I'll go out as long as it's double digits above zero). I belong to a gym but this year it is not working that well. How do you folks keep the weight down or off during really bad weather. I ride a stationary bike 3 or 4 times a week for 30 -40 minutes each time. Any idea?

Thanks.
Old 01-24-05, 06:48 PM
oldspark

Bikes: Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride my bike in a cycle ops 2 trainer 5 hrs a week and make sure I keep from eating empty calories, so far my weight has stayed put from the summer.
Old 01-24-05, 07:23 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Applause, Applause -

November 1st - 232 lbs

January 22 - 211 lbs!!

Increased exercise (walking, bicycling, trainer, gym - elliptical, stair stepper, treadmill, lifecycle, - weight lifting), portion control, no empty calories.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-24-05 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-24-05, 07:32 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Used to live in 'cold and snow country' . . . Michigan.
When there is snow on the ground, do some x-country skiing . . . great for the biking legs + upper body workout.
If dry out and at least 20 degrees . . . ride!
Old 01-24-05, 08:11 PM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
I've always had the same problem but a year ago in Jan. I tried the "anti-biker" low carb South Beach diet and dropped about 12lbs before the riding season in WI started. I felt so much better starting the season at the new weight and gradually added the carbs as needed. I'm 50 years old, 5'-10", and maintaining 160lbs by watching the carbs this winter. Most of the weight dropped off the mid section which made the jerseys fit better too!
Old 01-24-05, 08:39 PM
TysonB

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slickrock,

The only exercise that will help you now is the "pushaway." Pushaway from the dinner table, pushaway from the beer, push a way from the snacks. It is one boring exercise, if you ask me, but just like windsprints, they are good for you even though you hate them at the time.

Tyson
Old 01-25-05, 07:12 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

One more thread moved from the 50+ forum!

Remember to write, "I want to know how 50+rs keep weight off, rather than "I want to know how to keep weight off."

EDIT: AT my request it has been moved back and the title modified (50+)

Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-25-05 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-25-05, 09:12 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My normal resting weight is 11 stone. At the end of the summer, I am within a lb or so of this weight, but from September to January, although I slacken up a bit on the training, I do not gain a great deal of weight if any. However as soon as I start training down at the gym and get into the full swing of twice a week and the normal Sunday ride, the lbs drop off me till I have lost about 7lbs. This normally takes about 3 weeks. From then on, I start gaining weight up to my normal weight of 11 stone. I may not weigh any more in December, but boy, do I feel bloated and unfit.
Old 01-25-05, 10:56 AM
dthoman

Bikes: Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dnvrfox

You do deserve applause, good work. During that period I managed to put 6 lbs back on from what I lost last year (24 lbs). I do hate cold weather. Even with the proper riding clothes I have a hard time getting on the bike if it's below 50 deg. I have a trainer, but it's just not the same. Outside I can ride for hours. Inside, after about 30 minutes I've had it.

Dan
Old 01-25-05, 11:01 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by dthoman
Dnvrfox

You do deserve applause, good work. During that period I managed to put 6 lbs back on from what I lost last year (24 lbs). I do hate cold weather. Even with the proper riding clothes I have a hard time getting on the bike if it's below 50 deg. I have a trainer, but it's just not the same. Outside I can ride for hours. Inside, after about 30 minutes I've had it.

Dan
Thanks - down to 210 this morning.

I walk a lot, even if riding also. 4, 5, 10, 12 miles per day. Outside in whatever weather except the most extreme. I think walking takes it off faster than biking!
Old 01-25-05, 11:09 AM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank goodness for the trainer.
Old 01-25-05, 03:51 PM
Travelinguyrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Age between 50 and 70

6-1 180 been that weight for 8 years was 175 for decades before that

I don't eat bread daily, skim milk only, fruit juices, only FRESH fruits and vegetables

NO fast or junk foods ever, always eat breakfast, plus 4 other small or medium meals a

day,NOTHING with processed sugar in it, NEVER snack in the eve watching TV cause I

unplugged my tv years ago;on the treadmill, stationary cycle or stairmaster daily till

I'm sweating heavily, ride the bike every afternoon, walk the dog 3 times a day and

walk to and from the beach 6-8 miles round trip. Clean out the refridgerator, and the

pantry, throw the garbage in the trash
Old 01-25-05, 08:22 PM
plain.jim
old, fat, lazy wannabe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if I should talk about it yet (it's early days...), but I've kept off the 20 lbs. I've lost since August. In the Newsweek from a couple of weeks ago, there was an article about some fellow d'un certain age who had just written a book about staying fit into one's 60's, if I remember correctly. His advice:
  • Train 6 times per week, and
  • Don't eat crap.
That's what I'm doing, and it's seen me through Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, and numerous visits to my in-laws, where Sunday dinner isn't complete without a lasagna to accompany the roast pork, two kinds of potatoes, and butter in the applesauce.
Old 01-25-05, 10:11 PM
roscoe50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto on that 30 minutes on the trainer, I ride 30 minutes on my rollers and I've had enough! Just can't get into indoor riding and can't wait till spring rears it's beautiful head!
Old 01-25-05, 11:44 PM
77Univega
Drive the Bicycle.

Bikes: Three-speed modified for comfort.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
-- OK this works for me... at age 56. I DON'T eat when I'm not hungry.
I took a while to get out of the habit of eating for the entertainment of eating.
Old 01-26-05, 04:59 AM
plain.jim
old, fat, lazy wannabe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roscoe50
Ditto on that 30 minutes on the trainer, I ride 30 minutes on my rollers and I've had enough! Just can't get into indoor riding and can't wait till spring rears it's beautiful head!
As we Quakers say, this friend speaks my mind. Beyond the boredom, there's another thing: I keep the trainer in the garage. At this time of year, the garage is AT LEAST 30° F colder than the house... and I'm STILL sweating all over myself, the bike, and the floor. Riding the trainer is grim, at best.
Old 01-26-05, 06:45 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by plain.jim
As we Quakers say, this friend speaks my mind. Beyond the boredom, there's another thing: I keep the trainer in the garage. At this time of year, the garage is AT LEAST 30° F colder than the house... and I'm STILL sweating all over myself, the bike, and the floor. Riding the trainer is grim, at best.
I find that videos/cd's such as spinervals.com are helpful.

That said, the weather has been so great around here that I am actually bicycling!
Old 01-27-05, 07:23 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I dropped 35 pounds from riding/eating right, but have put about 5 pounds back on this winter. Its hard around the holidays to not join in and eat, plus some other things I do that seem to center around eating.

I used a trainer when the weather started to turn, but I haven't been on lately. It is just too boring, and I've always found that getting back on the road does more in a week than the trainer does all winter long.

As long as I remain steady until around March I feel like I'll be OK, I know once I start riding again the weight will come off.
Old 01-27-05, 10:17 AM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Hey folks: I try to eat according to my excercise level. If I'm working hard then I'm eating hard, if I'm slacking then I fast. Like to eat so I tend to slack very little. I've always gone with whatever mother nature throws our way....rains I paddle, snows I xcountry ski, dry climbing and biking. I only lose to weather when it's 35F and rain. Charlie
Old 01-27-05, 10:48 AM
Galico
GALICO

Bikes: LOOK 555, SPECIALIZED

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I train or ride at 12 to 20 hrs/week, have for over 3 years (1 year of running-2year cycling) and work on my feet from 9 to 6 in retail. People who havent' seen me for a while first ask if I am sick (they think if your not pudgy you have cancer). But no matter how hard I try there is a little love handle left from my sedate days that just won't go completely away.
Old 01-27-05, 10:59 AM
jazzy_cyclist

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going to comment that it's been too icy to ride much here in Massachusetts, but not enough snow to xc ski (boy, did that just change!)

I've been going to the gym, doing some spin classes, and riding the trainer (w/Spinnervals) on occasion,a dn of course, shoveling snow. I was hoping to lose a little, but I seem to be just maintaining so far. At least I've made it through the holidays.
Old 01-27-05, 11:10 AM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
How is keeping the weight off any different at 50+
Are there supposed to be "tricks" for keeping weight off at that age?
Old 01-27-05, 12:07 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by FXjohn
How is keeping the weight off any different at 50+
Are there supposed to be "tricks" for keeping weight off at that age?
You have to work harder at it as you just generally slow down.
Old 01-27-05, 03:02 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
My normal resting weight is 11 stone. At the end of the summer, I am within a lb or so of this weight, but from September to January, although I slacken up a bit on the training, I do not gain a great deal of weight if any. However as soon as I start training down at the gym and get into the full swing of twice a week and the normal Sunday ride, the lbs drop off me till I have lost about 7lbs. This normally takes about 3 weeks. From then on, I start gaining weight up to my normal weight of 11 stone. I may not weigh any more in December, but boy, do I feel bloated and unfit.

Update on this posting. third week into my training programme and I am 10st 8lbs. 6 lb fat loss of the 7lb I expect to lose. From here on in I expect to start putting weight back on as Muscle Builds up. Mind you, I did perspire a bit tonight, but being a little bit leaner, I felt like working.
Old 01-27-05, 08:31 PM
oldspark

Bikes: Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I dropped 35 pounds from riding/eating right, but have put about 5 pounds back on this winter. Its hard around the holidays to not join in and eat, plus some other things I do that seem to center around eating.

I used a trainer when the weather started to turn, but I haven't been on lately. It is just too boring, and I've always found that getting back on the road does more in a week than the trainer does all winter long.

As long as I remain steady until around March I feel like I'll be OK, I know once I start riding again the weight will come off.
I'll ride my trainer all winter and you can ride your bike on the road for a week and we will see who is faster. LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.