Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

29" wheels and bus bike racks

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-13, 04:30 PM
ngateguy
Center of the Universe

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just bought a new Novara 29" steel framed MTB. I was planning on using it for comumting to work as well as off road fun. My commute is a combination of riding and bus. I picked it up from REI this afternoon and went to put it on the bus. The darn thing does not fit the arm will not go over the wheel. I know my 700cc tires work so it has to be the tire profile that is causing the problem. Have any of you experianced this and maybe know of a low profile tire that will fit on the bike rack?
Old 09-07-13, 05:25 PM
ncfisherman

Bikes: Canfield Yelli Screamy, Pivot Mach5, Specialized Roubaix, '65 Hercules, '79 Schwinn Stingray Lil Chic, '68 Schwinn Stingray Fastback, '89 Specialized Allez Epic, '86 Battaglin World Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about a spare 700c wheelset with road slicks? That would probably be the best option because going with something that will fit the bus rack will not likely be good for any sort of trail riding.
Old 09-08-13, 11:18 AM
ngateguy
Center of the Universe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ncfisherman
What about a spare 700c wheelset with road slicks? That would probably be the best option because going with something that will fit the bus rack will not likely be good for any sort of trail riding.
This got me to thinking and I mounted a couple of my 700cc tires on the 29" rims, problem solved. The wheel set is a good idea, but I do not have any with disc brakes. Like I did with my Fuji 26" I swap tires for off road ones when I take it into the woods. I am really looking forward to taking this baby cross country, I love the big wheels! It is also great to be riding steel again
Old 09-09-13, 04:00 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Not calling you an idiot or anything, and there's a very good chance your city has different bus racks than mine, but are you sure you gave the arm a good tug and got it extended all the way? Just a thought I figured I'd mention in case it helps. My friend runs 2.4"s on his 700c and it goes in the bus racks, but he has to give the arm a pretty good pull(along with jamming the tires down into the slots because of the width).
Old 09-09-13, 04:15 PM
ngateguy
Center of the Universe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
Not calling you an idiot or anything, and there's a very good chance your city has different bus racks than mine, but are you sure you gave the arm a good tug and got it extended all the way? Just a thought I figured I'd mention in case it helps. My friend runs 2.4"s on his 700c and it goes in the bus racks, but he has to give the arm a pretty good pull(along with jamming the tires down into the slots because of the width).

Not to call you and idiot or anything maybe you should read all the posts before commenting. This will be the last time I defend myself in this mater. I am very capable and have been using bus bike racks since they first showed up over 20 years ago. I know when it is fully extended and when it is stuck. This was a 29" with a 29x 2.5 tire on it. It was the tire, I am not the only one that has had this problem. Now that the horse is dead I have solved the problem the issue is moot. Thank all of you that gave good advice. Everybody else needs to think before they type,
Old 09-09-13, 04:46 PM
3speed

Might want to calm down a little there, big guy. Why did you ask if you're gonna go on a rant if someone offers help that isn't what you wanted to hear? And I did read all of the posts. You didn't mention that you're a 20yr experienced bike rack god that Clearly couldn't have Possibly accidentally not extended the arm far enough. Sorry I didn't sense that over the internet. I hope you can see where I might not have realized that from your first post, created asking for help, using phrases like "I just bought a new Novara 29"..." "Have any of you experienced this?" Considering your statement of "This is the last time I defiend myself in this matter." I'd say maybe you need to look at your own frustration issues a little more before getting upset at someone else for no good reason. Take a deep breath, slow it down a little, and have yourself a lovely day.
Old 09-09-13, 04:51 PM
ngateguy
Center of the Universe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Might want to calm down a little there, big guy. Why did you ask if you're gonna go on a rant if someone offers help that isn't what you wanted to hear? And I did read all of the posts. You didn't mention that you're a 20yr experienced bike rack god that Clearly couldn't have Possibly accidentally not extended the arm far enough. Sorry I didn't sense that over the internet. I hope you can see where I might not have realized that from your first post, created asking for help, using phrases like "I just bought a new Novara 29"..." "Have any of you experienced this?" Considering your statement of "This is the last time I defiend myself in this matter." I'd say maybe you need to look at your own frustration issues a little more before getting upset at someone else for no good reason. Take a deep breath, slow it down a little, and have yourself a lovely day.

A tip for you little guy starting your post " Not to call you and idiot or anything " tends to put people on edge. I must apologize for one thing since I had this poster on both the commuting and MTB page I forgot we covered everything you mentioned on the other forum. If I were you I would learn how not to be so smug when you answer a post. Have a nice evening little guy
Old 09-09-13, 05:02 PM
3speed

I wasn't being smug. I was trying to be helpful. I genuinely just didn't want you to feel like I was saying "just pull the lever out further, dumbass" so I basically said "I'm not calling you an idiot, your city likely has different racks, but I wanted to offer this suggestion just in case..." It's not my fault if you took such quick offense to it. Also, bikeforums mentions not cross-posting in different forums, such as making a thread about this problem in the MTB sub-forum and the Mechanic sub-forum. Perhaps if you avoid that in the future, your frustrations won't get the better of you so easily and you won't end up over-reacting to unknowing people who didn't happen to go read your other post in the mechanics forum.
Old 09-09-13, 09:09 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It's not my fault if you took such quick offense to it. Also, bikeforums mentions not cross-posting in different forums, such as making a thread about this problem in the MTB sub-forum and the Mechanic sub-forum. Perhaps if you avoid that in the future, your frustrations won't get the better of you so easily and you won't end up over-reacting to unknowing people who didn't happen to go read your other post in the mechanics forum.
Agreed. It is not very sporting for the OP to assume that people are taking pot shots at him in their first reply unless you're asking a question in Road Cycling or Trollheim.

Also, I would be pretty surprised if a Novara came with a 29x2.5 tire since that would be a downhill tire. Is this your new bike, ngateguy? https://www.rei.com/product/825375/no...29er-bike-2013

It and the other Novara/REI 29ers have 2.1" wide Nanos which are really more like 1.9", but clearly the rolling diameter is great enough to exceed the allowance of the particular bus rack you tried. I think you covered that adequately well.