Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Best replacement chain for 1987 MTB Suntour 6-speed Accushift?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-13, 08:47 PM
wernst

Bikes: 86 Nishiki Olympic Sport, 87 KHS Montana Team, 06 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

All,

Though it shifts surprisingly well, I am still rockin' the original chain on my 1987 KHS equipped with Suntour's first generation Indexed shifting system, and I'm thinking a replacement chain might not be a bad idea.

Specifically, this is the XC9000 group, with a 6-speed freewheel.

Though I am willing to spend for very high quality chain if it will improve shifting, something tells me that a pretty basic chain will still be an improvement over the original 27 year old SunTour chain. I'm thinking the current-generation of 9- and 10-speed compatible thin chains might actually make shifting worse on fat cogs this widely spaced, but what do I know?

Recommendations (and maybe links) please?

Thanks,
Warr
Old 09-07-13, 08:59 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,741 Times in 631 Posts
For a replacement chain for a 6/7speed accushift I would suggest a KMC 7/8 or similar chain with 7.1mm spacing.
Old 09-07-13, 09:06 PM
bikeman732

Bikes: 2004 Cannondale R3000, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1976 Raleigh International 1990 Jamis Explorer, 1989 Bottecchia SLX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you can find a NOS sachs/sedis "sedisport" chain, they worked well with the old SunTour systems. Ebay maybe?
Old 09-07-13, 09:44 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Not mentioned is the front ring spacing and chain width. Modern narrow chains are more likely to be caught in neutral (riding on top of the inner ring's teeth) the the wider chains of yesterday. Like many questions presented here the actual answer requires trying out the options. Andy.
Old 09-07-13, 10:41 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Depending how worn the chain is, the cogs might be too worn to work with a new chain. Do you also have a line on a new freewheel?

I'd put on a 6/7/8 speed KMC or SRAM chain, because they come with nice reusable master links. They've always worked great for me.
Old 09-07-13, 10:47 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FastJake
I'd put on a 6/7/8 speed KMC chain, because they come with nice reusable master links. They've always worked great for me.
+1

Basic KMC chains work, and work well. Basic bike, basic chain.

Any problems??
Old 09-07-13, 11:16 PM
wernst

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
Depending how worn the chain is, the cogs might be too worn to work with a new chain. Do you also have a line on a new freewheel?
Bike's been in storage for 20 years, and the freewheel and chainrings are in good shape. Good point though.

-Warr
Old 09-07-13, 11:51 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,741 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by wernst
Bike's been in storage for 20 years, and the freewheel and chainrings are in good shape. Good point though.

-Warr
In that case I would give a basic cleaning lube and go with the original chain and freewheel. Which are correct work with the accushift.
Old 09-08-13, 12:34 AM
wernst

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
In that case I would give a basic cleaning lube and go with the original chain and freewheel. Which are correct work with the accushift.
Okay, so that everyone is on the same page; late last year I took it out of storage and dip-tanked and relubed all the drivetrain components (either with Chain-L for the chain or TriFlow for basically everything else), and installed new brake pads, wires and housings, tires and tubes, the grips and the seat. I was a professional bike mechanic when I bought it new in 1987 and am aware of how items wear on a bike.

What I am not aware of is what new components are available today that offer the best compatibility possible with the old hardware, like the chain. I used Sedisport chains on all my stuff back in the day, but $60 for an NOS chain seems crazy when there may be other perfectly good new alternatives.

I've been riding the old girl hard on the trails this year, and having installed an NOS smaller oval chainring to lower the gearing slightly, I was going to take out a few links in the chain when it dawned on me that what I don't need is a broken 27 year old chain stranding me somewhere - maybe a new one would be a good idea.

I know I am not the first person in this situation who wants a new chain on an old but otherwise perfectly functioning Accushift drivetrain, and not wanting to re-invent the wheel, and not wanting to buy several different chains and experiment with trial-and-error, asked here.

Thanks for the suggestion of not changing anything out, but respectfully, what I really need are suggestions about what chain to get that'll still index shift the old suntour stuff. I can always re-install the old chain and keep riding if the new chain doesn't shift well, but I'd like to avoid buying chains more-or-less at random.

Thanks,
Warr
Old 09-08-13, 01:14 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I put a KMC Z51 (7.1 mm) on an Accushift 7-speed MTB. It worked great ...except the skipping on worn cogs. Not the chain's fault, though.
Old 09-08-13, 08:46 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
What I am not aware of is what new components are available today that offer the best compatibility possible with the old hardware, like the chain. I used Sedisport chains on all my stuff back in the day, but $60 for an NOS chain seems crazy when there may be other perfectly good new alternatives.
The SRAM 7-speed chain works well for me on vintage hardware.
Old 09-08-13, 08:58 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
I was a professional bike mechanic when I bought it new in 1987 and am aware of how items wear on a bike.

I've been riding the old girl hard on the trails this year, and having installed an NOS smaller oval chainring to lower the gearing slightly, I was going to take out a few links in the chain when it dawned on me that what I don't need is a broken 27 year old chain stranding me somewhere - maybe a new one would be a good idea.
Chains don't go bad with age... except when they're neglected and allowed to get rusty.

Going back to your original post, since I didn't catch the intent of your question, chains today are better than they were 27 years ago. When I've put a new KMC/SRAM 6/7/8 speed chain on an old drivetrain I've noticed better shifting.
Old 09-08-13, 09:06 AM
sreten
Banned.

Bikes: 20" Folder, Road Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi,

All modern chains even the very budget ones for derailleurs are now bushless,
the Sedisport being an early example of the then new fangled bushless chain.

Any modern 3/32" chain will be fine. I'd pay a bit more for nickel plated.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 09-08-13 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-08-13, 02:03 PM
bikeman715

Bikes: Bike Nashbar AL-1 ,Raligh M50 , Schwinn Traveler , and others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Shimano 's 6,7,8 speeds chain should work for you too .
Old 03-18-14, 12:53 PM
wernst

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
So from the "OP Delivers" category of old threads, I just thought I'd mention that I finally got around to installing a new chain this weekend. I used a KMC X8.99 chain, and it index shifts beautifully, which if you are familiar with SunTour Accushift 6-speed setups, is really saying something. It is a big improvement over the old chain. It also shifts well up front with the classic oval chainrings. I am planning on switching to a new crankset with smaller rings next week, and it comes with ramps and pins. Should it not shift well with this chain, I'll post.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

-Warr

Last edited by wernst; 03-18-14 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-18-14, 01:27 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
KMC Z51 is the go to chain for everything below 8 speed that's 3/32" for me.
Old 03-18-14, 11:36 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
I just bought a NOS Suntour XC 6-Speed freewheel and the seller, who has a bike shop suggested the Connex Wipperman 808. I ended up with the KMC X8.93 and it's awesome.
Likes For Velocivixen:
Old 06-25-19, 04:14 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
Thank you!