Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-15, 03:06 PM
bouldergeek

Bikes: Serotta carbon/Ti; Rocky Mountain: Team Scandium, Element, Vertex; Fuji Track Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, as someone who has done medical classes and blood-borne pathogens training, I try to keep my platelets and plasma to myself. I got back on the bike for a bit after, so I wouldn't develop awkwardness to the track and pedaling. But, I did go clean myself up afterward.

That was last Saturday, and I haven't ridden since. We went from 60s to a foot of snow, again.

I am going to go back for another class next Thursday. I do have a bit of second guessing and healthy fear...um, respect...for how fast one's drive wheel can disconnect if one back pedals ever so slightly in the high banking.
Old 02-19-15, 04:20 PM
MrMinty

Bikes: Cannondale Caad8, Claud Butler Roubaix, Raleigh Equipe

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How far down do you squat? I just can't seem to manage ass to the grass, even with no weight on my shoulders
Old 02-19-15, 07:17 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bouldergeek
After a get-off, how much time should I allow before getting back on the track?

More road rash on top of this road rash would be horrific.
I was told that after a crash I had two choices: either finish the race or go to the hospital. So, I usually ended finishing the race. With a foot of snow outside, I would be on the rollers the next day.
Old 02-19-15, 11:42 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dunderhi
I was told that after a crash I had two choices: either finish the race or go to the hospital. So, I usually ended finishing the race. With a foot of snow outside, I would be on the rollers the next day.
That seems like a ridiculous requirement. I can foresee situations where that requirement might involve the race organizers or officials in a lawsuit by the rider. Also there is no such requirement in the USA Cycling Rule Book.
Old 02-19-15, 11:53 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by 700wheel
That seems like a ridiculous requirement. I can foresee situations where that requirement might involve the race organizers or officials in a lawsuit by the rider. Also there is no such requirement in the USA Cycling Rule Book.
I think it was more of a "toughen up" lesson as a jr from his coaches.
Old 02-19-15, 11:57 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by MrMinty
How far down do you squat? I just can't seem to manage ass to the grass, even with no weight on my shoulders
Being that it's eas now with cell phones, a lot of lifters video themselves and have a look and adjust.

Maybe do that and see how you compare with photos of those exhibiting good form.

Also, "ass to grass" doesn't mean literally trying to put your butt as close as possible to the ground. Maybe use another cue like parallel thighs.
Old 02-20-15, 12:32 AM
dunderhi

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I think it was more of a "toughen up" lesson as a jr from his coaches.
Bingo! With a large team presence at most races, a spare wheel or a spare bike was always available. As an example of a positive result from this toughening, I won a crit that I spent maybe a dozen laps chasing the field after a crash. The abrasions and bruises healed in about a week, but I still have that gold medal three decades later.
Old 02-20-15, 01:49 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Bingo! With a large team presence at most races, a spare wheel or a spare bike was always available. As an example of a positive result from this toughening, I won a crit that I spent maybe a dozen laps chasing the field after a crash. The abrasions and bruises healed in about a week, but I still have that gold medal three decades later.
Pain is temporary (in most cases!). Pride is forever!
Old 02-20-15, 10:00 AM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

I was thinking about more serious crashes - for example at Encino some years ago we had two riders crash and break their helmets; the two race day paramedics questioned the riders and when they could not answer simple questions were told to stop riding.

I agree that there are accidents with no or minimal injuries.
Old 02-20-15, 10:36 AM
dunderhi

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 700wheel
I was thinking about more serious crashes - for example at Encino some years ago we had two riders crash and break their helmets; the two race day paramedics questioned the riders and when they could not answer simple questions were told to stop riding.

I agree that there are accidents with no or minimal injuries.
Yes, the serious accidents are the ones that warrant a trip to the hospital. I've made more than one trip to the ER to visit or to accompany a teammate. Actually, one trip to the ER was to visit multiple riders. It was almost like the ending to "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World." We were laughing so hard from everyone's crash stories that the nurse had to come in yell at us to keep it down.

Old 02-20-15, 03:50 PM
rndstr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like my SRM Powercontrol 7 head unit. I don't use powermeter cranks anymore. Just speed and cadence sensors. I can see max speed and cadence for each interval in the display. The best part is that it records as frequently as ever 0.5 seconds, which is one of the fastest rates around. Most record every 1 second.
That sounds great but it's a bit out of my price range. Have to be careful to not turn into that guy that buys expensive gear but stays slow
Old 02-20-15, 03:55 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll go ahead and say it:
if you can't afford a computer with 0.5" sample rate you should just sell all your **** and look in to Kite Surfing or Rock Climbing- because there is no way to get fast on a bike without it. Don't even try
Old 02-21-15, 12:20 AM
McRussellPants

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I couldn't really either till I got some lifting shoes, 75$ for some Powerlifts wasn't too bad. I feel like a dweeb lifting so light in them but they really helped me with going low without bouncing and keeping my knees right.
Old 02-21-15, 05:48 AM
MrMinty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How come male sprinters are proper beefy but women sprinters are more spelt? Is it purely down to testosterone or is there more too it? How come the women sprinters aren't built like Russian bodybuilders?
Old 02-21-15, 05:52 AM
MrMinty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by McRussellPants
I couldn't really either till I got some lifting shoes, 75$ for some Powerlifts wasn't too bad. I feel like a dweeb lifting so light in them but they really helped me with going low without bouncing and keeping my knees right.
Think I'll stick to parallel at the moment. I saw a really interesting video about squatting. I'll see if I can find it. I bought some compression leggings this week, so hopefully they'll support me a bit more. I'm going to add deadlifts into my routine too.

Last edited by MrMinty; 02-21-15 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-21-15, 07:26 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

How come male sprinters are proper beefy but women sprinters are more spelt? Is it purely down to testosterone or is there more too it? How come the women sprinters aren't built like Russian bodybuilders?
Has a lot to do with testosterone and androgen production. What you do see amongst the women is a lot more variation in body types when it comes to sprinting. The males aren't all as beefy as you think. Most of the guys would look pretty normal in street clothes, maybe with a hint of an athletic build (Forsty being an obvious exception). It's the body composition/leanness that makes the guys look really beefy. The women are much smoother, so don't look so muscular. Put the women in a line up side by side and you'll see the variation between them
Old 02-21-15, 08:03 PM
Godsight

Bikes: Felt TK FRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is Awang at the 2015 wc, he was 3rd in the keirin final but he is known for being a small rider both in height and muscle size. Still, is a very good sprinter at worlds level. Not everyone need the thighs of Hoy, Baugé, Forstermann and Pervis to get those watts out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
AwangKierinTW9_312-046.jpg (105.3 KB, 71 views)
Old 02-21-15, 10:38 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Godsight
That is Awang at the 2015 wc, he was 3rd in the keirin final but he is known for being a small rider both in height and muscle size. Still, is a very good sprinter at worlds level. Not everyone need the thighs of Hoy, Baugé, Forstermann and Pervis to get those watts out.
That photo is really dated.

But, I get your point.

Absolute Wattage does not guarantee success. Watts/Kg does not guarantee success. Watts/CdA? NOW we are talking.

(For those who don't know): What is CdA?

CdA is another term for Drag Area. It's a measure of how efficiently you convert your power into forward speed. The lower your Drag Area, the faster you'll go for the same level of effort. Let's break it down a little more. CdA is also a shorthand for Cd * A. Cd is the coefficient of drag, and A is the frontal area you project. A is the area you're presenting to the wind while moving forward on your bike.
Awang's advantage is similar to the advantages that Sandie Clair and Kristina Vogel enjoy. They make comparable power/weight as their competitors, but they gain a much bigger advantage from drafting. On top of that, they offer an opponent little benefit from drafting.

Example:

2 riders who are twins, Following Rider trails Leading Rider at 70KPH. Trailing Rider is expending about 75% of the energy that Leading Rider is expending to go the same speed. Now, when the size of riders relative to each other changes, so do the benefits. If Leading Rider is bigger than Training Rider, Trailing Rider will use, say 65% of the energy that Lead Rider is spending. If Trailing Rider is bigger than Leading rider, he may spend 90% of what Leading Rider is expending.

Source: I'm a big guy that hates sprinting against small guys. They have a significant advantage. Drafting off of them is almost pointless, yet when they draft me, it's like I pull them along behind me.
Old 02-22-15, 11:01 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Source: I'm a big guy that hates sprinting against small guys. They have a significant advantage. Drafting off of them is almost pointless, yet when they draft me, it's like I pull them along behind me.
There's a flip side, too.

I'm small, and I've ridden the wheels of guys that are so big that I barely get any draft - it all passes above me!
Old 02-22-15, 02:00 PM
MrMinty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Found the video I was looking for
Old 02-23-15, 05:29 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Found the video I was looking for
Thanks for this. Really interesting
Old 02-24-15, 08:46 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
There's a flip side, too.

I'm small, and I've ridden the wheels of guys that are so big that I barely get any draft - it all passes above me!
haha! yup. All that airflow through the legs - i'm hearing you.
Old 02-24-15, 08:54 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I know a guy who's about 5'5" who tells stories about his old leadout man, who was like waaaaay over 6 feet. He says he'd have to maneuver another rider in between them and conduct the leadout like that.
Old 02-25-15, 01:13 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

How is it legal for Bauge to wear the Giro Air Attack with the ear flaps? Doesn't that go against the rule of commercially available equipment (article 1.3.007 of the Clarification Guide of the UCI Technical Regulation)

Last edited by taras0000; 02-25-15 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-25-15, 03:32 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
How is it legal...
Saw a CZE female rider during the elimination of the Omnium with a PC7 on the handlebars and the screen not covered too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.