Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Amazing difference in attitudes towards bicycling n Europe and the US

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Amazing difference in attitudes towards bicycling n Europe and the US

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-18, 10:10 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
You're getting into shallow waters there. You do know that many Dutch speak and write English better than the natives of that little country on a tiny island? Also, I thought bikeforums catered for all nationalities. Yes, there is an American bias, but it does a pretty good job for all other nationalities, too.
I am well aware of how well the Dutch speak English, having visited at least once a year for the 10 years I lived in Germany. In fact I only once came across a Dutchman who couldn't speak or at least understand English.

I think it would be a little more accurate to state that Bikeforums caters to bicycle enthusiasts and zealots of all nationalities who prefer to post and read about their hobby in English.
Old 09-14-18, 10:18 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by livedarklions
You're missing the point. It wasn't a put-down of Dutch posters, only a statement that neither US posters nor Dutch posters are going to be typical cyclists in their respective countries. Most people riding bikes in the US wouldn't be caught dead in lycra.
Exactly.
Old 09-14-18, 10:27 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by 700
I've read of people getting arrested for driving a wheelchair while intoxicated.
You can read lots of BS "somewhere on the Internet" about something that might have occurred somewhere at some time. Some of it might even be true, or written in an obscure passage in an archaic tome on a dusty shelf in somebody's attic.
Old 09-14-18, 12:25 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock71
I'm confused. I don't see anywhere that someone asked you to be a brand ambassador.
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
As corny as it sounds, we have to be "Ambassadors to the Sport"
I am a citizen of the cosmos, a denizen of the multiverse .... in real life, i try to be a decent human being and to realize how much more than that we all are.

But I have no interest in being a cycling ambassador.
Old 09-14-18, 12:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I am the Minister of Cycling War.

No lycra in the Thunderdome.
Old 09-14-18, 09:16 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Originally Posted by jasnooks
$99 Roadmaster Adventures 700c from Walmart, with a few upgrades.
Nuh uh no way. You're lying.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 09-14-18, 11:31 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 700
I've read of people getting arrested for driving a wheelchair while intoxicated. You telling me you can't get a DUI on a bicycle where you live?
Can I? Legally, yes. As a matter of practice, you'd have ro be acting in a fairly egregious manner. Far more likely you'd get something like drunk in public.

I left the bar Saturday night after 2am, and there were eight or so cops in the lot watching cars while two were cuffing people and it seemed a tow truck was on its way. Not a single one cared about me on a bike
Old 09-15-18, 05:57 AM

Bikes: 2017 Nishiki Maricopa.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Can I? Legally, yes. As a matter of practice, you'd have ro be acting in a fairly egregious manner. Far more likely you'd get something like drunk in public.

I left the bar Saturday night after 2am, and there were eight or so cops in the lot watching cars while two were cuffing people and it seemed a tow truck was on its way. Not a single one cared about me on a bike
I appreciate their common sense.
Old 09-15-18, 09:25 AM
jasnooks

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Nuh uh no way. You're lying.
Umm, nope
Old 09-17-18, 11:13 AM
pope

Bikes: Klein Rascal SS, Cervelo, Pivot.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
The meme I posted above says that when you're 60 you realise that no one was ever thinking about you in the first place ... I came to that realisation sometime in my mid-40s and it was really freeing!! It's also true, especially in this day and age of technology.

I can wear whatever I want to wear.
I can transport myself however I want.
I can go about with any expression on my face.

No one notices.

Well ........ except for my hair. I do get comments on that.
Perhaps the only benefit of my 40's so far is exactly this ^^
Old 09-17-18, 11:25 AM
pope

Bikes: Klein Rascal SS, Cervelo, Pivot.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by willpetras
In Belgium when I carry a bag of groceries, or other purchases, in a bag that hangs from the handlebars people give a look like "That's good. Enjoying yourself". It's like a status symbol. In the US I have literally had people, usually well-to-do older women, gasp in horror as if to say "How heathen! Our community is becoming a ghetto" I could actually hear the gasps. Amazing.
**GASP!!!!***
A STATUS SYMBOL**********???? In Belgium? Have you ever cycled there? Do you even understand their culture or national sport?
The only subjective statement, based on the everyday cycling that I experienced, was that "they" don't wear helmets.
I did. And I was teased! I'm pretty sure I heard GASPS!!!
Old 09-17-18, 11:52 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
To the OP's point, bicycling to the store / for utility for people of all ages is definitely more common in Europe, particularly Belgium (where I am from), the Netherlands, Germany (where i have lived), and I hear Denmark and other Scandinavian countries as well. It is common to see 60+ year olds ride their bike to the local grocery store, bakery, butcher shop, etc. My grandmother, 88 years old, still regularly bikes around her small town in Belgium to go to the local stores.

I've lived in Atlanta for 4 years now, and I have NEVER seen a 60+ year old biking for utilitarian reasons (aka going to the grocery store or other destination). You regularly see 60+ year olds on a recreational trail though.

The amount of people biking here for utilitarian reasons / commuting are either;

- Young, in their 20's or 30's and clearly dedicated to leading a healthy and/or sustainable lifestyle or to avoid traffic.
- Extremely poor, minority groups, with beat-up bicycles and clearly have no other option to get around that they can afford. (which is fine, I am all for more people biking, no matter the reason)

This is Atlanta though, I cannot speak for other US cities / towns.

That being said, I think the attitude towards biking is neutral to slightly positive here in Atlanta, and getting better. People ask me about my bike trailer when I go to the local supermarket. Except when it comes to investing in cycling infrastructure or creating bike lanes, in which case people actually vote it down, because it takes space away from their precious cars. (true story sadly)

Last edited by maartendc; 09-17-18 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-17-18, 01:47 PM
Cruiser2112

Bikes: 1985 Bianchi Celeste, Custom Electra C1, Flying Machine Cycles custom E-Cruiser

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 16 Posts
Cycle of life

In Belgium when I carry a bag of groceries, or other purchases, in a bag that hangs from the handlebars people give a look like "That's good. Enjoying yourself". It's like a status symbol. In the US I have literally had people, usually well-to-do older women, gasp in horror as if to say "How heathen! Our community is becoming a ghetto" I could actually hear the gasps. Amazing.

But what's sick about it, and I mean actually sick, is the US is far, far less healthy than Europe, in large part because the emphasis and embracement on physical activity in Europe. I see 80 year men and women on bicycles that can ride with more vigor than any age American!
It is a sad testament. At least in & around most of the beach & seaside communities on the West coast (New England, Gulf states too) there is a HUGE reliance on bicycles to make grocery & errand runs. Now your whole "bags on the bars" approach just might incite a certain litigious fire in some overly reactive types concerned that you'll spill yourself all over the pavement. Now what you really need is a proper set of saddle bags/panniers or good sturdy cargo crate or basket!
Old 09-17-18, 02:12 PM
CalvinR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm familiar with that attitude, but I quit caring about it around 1970. (I don't try to read the expressions of passers-by, but I occasionally get it from people I meet who notice or if I mention it. I have a milk crate on my luggage rack that's a much better way to carry stuff.) I have noticed that I don't get much of that negativity nowadays in my less-affluent neighborhood. Probably that's because riding a bicycle for practical transportation has become much more common.
Old 09-17-18, 02:16 PM
lkoyanagi

Bikes: Tern D7e

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Why do you care?

W

But what's sick about it, and I mean actually sick, is the US is far, far less healthy than Europe, in large part because the emphasis and embracement on physical activity in Europe. I see 80 year men and women on bicycles that can ride with more vigor than any age American!
Why do you care? Are your comments in passing or a serious treatise on attitudes using Belgium to generalize Europe? I guess you generalize the US based on your limited experiences. You dont know what those ladies were saying. Maybe your fly was open.
Old 09-17-18, 05:57 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Maybe because I have been riding for over 50 years, I have learned to make much of the hauling possibilities using a standard mtb or road bike, by carrying some doubled-and-folded plastic grocery bags.

Tying bags to the bars can be done such that not only are the knots quickly untied upon arrival (by triple-knotting), but swaying is never an issue unless one has to ride out of the saddle, in which case one must try to pedal in circles.
The keys are to twist the handles before tying knots, and to first pull all of the slack out of the handles.
Where serious climbs require out-of-saddle efforts, securing the shortened handles to the bars, just above the brake levers, prevents bags from contacting one's knees or swaying at all, if at some cost to the bag's volume. It's the outside of the upper and lower bar that braces the load against the tension in the bag/handles. For relatively flat cruising, the bags can just hang adjacent to the headtube, usually just clearing the rider's knees, though the maximum steering angle may be limited.
Care needs to be used near the front brake QR lever, to prevent snagging/tearing the doubled-up-for-strength bags. Today's heavier bags (in areas where regular bags have been banned from grocery stores) require new strategies to secure to the bars, since the bags are bigger/longer and the handles a little shorter and harder to tie. So I stock up on the traditional bags at places like Home Depot, and double or triple them before folding into a tight bindle held with a rubber band.
I've also carried big cat/dog food bags on my shoulder, or a case of beer, but it's uncomfortable riding like that for more than a few blocks. I'm on some kind of road bike usually, and any of them can really haul the groceries without the need for panniers, baskets or racks.
I once tried hauling my truck's wheel/tire to the tire shop for a quick local repair, but made it just one block before turning around with a fast-fatiguing left arm.
On the other hand, I've ghost ridden more than a few used-bike purchases home over many miles, and once carried a small, light desk and drawers unit home in Silicon Valley. At the end of the day it's just exercise and reduced use of the motor vehicles.

Since I live in California I know that conditions are favorable for cyclists here, but can be very different in different regions of the country, any country.
To the OP, it sounds like there might be something about your attire or appearance that causes those people to react strangely. Do you wear your helmet inside of the store and is it a normal-looking bike helmet? Do People typically use bike helmets in your area?

Last edited by dddd; 09-17-18 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-17-18, 07:55 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by pope
I did. And I was teased! I'm pretty sure I heard GASPS!!!
Someday they'll crash in both America and Belgium, and realize it hurts equally as much in both countries and change their tune
Old 09-17-18, 08:41 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
It's easy to forget how painful crashes are. An excellent point that I hope we can all agree upon.
Old 09-17-18, 09:14 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
It's easy to forget how painful crashes are. An excellent point that I hope we can all agree upon.
They are, but have you ever cycled on wet cobble? SO mych easier to crash
Old 09-24-18, 11:39 AM
Cruiser2112

Bikes: 1985 Bianchi Celeste, Custom Electra C1, Flying Machine Cycles custom E-Cruiser

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 16 Posts
I keep seeing more "cargo bikes" popping up at our farmers markets lately & even trailers/kid haulers equipped with a small electric motor. If you're going to be carrying 25+lbs. of goodies, kinda makes sense.
Old 09-24-18, 04:01 PM
musicmaster

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
I won’t go so far as to say friendly, but Chicago is very bicycle aware.

Except for when it gets cold, something about riding in foul weather seems to threaten machismo.
I completely disagree, except in downtown Chicago. I grew up and lived in the Naperville/Wheaton/Lisle area. At my two jobs I had out there post college, I didn't know anyone in my office who biked to work (One office was in Downers Grove, the other was in Oak Brook). Not to mention, you had to be extremely careful when riding as outside of a handful of bike paths, there weren't many (if any) bike lanes in the suburbs and cars would rarely give me more than a foot or two of space on the shoulder. Even downtown, the Lakefront path is always crowded and many of Chicago's streets aren't in the best condition.

Moving to Denver 2 years back has been night and day. Bike paths everywhere that connect, plus bike lanes on many major roads and cars actually give you space when passing. Plus, three others on my street bike commute.
Old 10-04-18, 03:51 PM
fiat0

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did that "bag of grocerie in a bag that hangs from the handlebars" thing when I was younger and it just never worked out very well. Too easy to loose control, poor steering. A backpack is so much better.

But, I get the gist of what you are saying. Bikes are more popular in Europe or so it seems.
Old 10-05-18, 07:34 PM
bgeer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock71
I live in a small rural town in Iowa of about 1500 people and rarely see anyone out on bicycles(not even kids), I bicycle regularly to the store, a lot of times pulling the Burly behind my hybrid and yes those that don't know me often look at me like I could possibly be homeless.... LOL
Apparently RAGBRAI hasn't gone thru your small rural town? :-)