Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What have you found on the ground while riding?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What have you found on the ground while riding?

Old 01-17-24, 04:10 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
What's odd, is that both cats and dogs, if you're alert to them, chose the person they want to be their parents. We get all of our dogs from pounds and shelters, our first dog, and this is when I learned this, we went to several pounds and interacted with several dogs, none of them really could care less if we were there...except one, as we were leaving the cage area, one dog jumped up on the screen whining at us, the others could care less, my wife and I looked at each other and both of us learned that dog wanted to go home with us, so he did. After that experience, every time we go to find a dog, we let the dog chose us, and everytime we have been rewarded with a great dog.

When I was kid we got stray cats, they chose our home, and once my parents allowed the cat to stay, it was our cat from then on, they never ran off. Stray cats are very skittish, but for some reason they might find the right person, and won't be skittish to that person, and that probably happened to you NoGlider, that cat chose you.
We got our cat from the shelter. I was walking through the cat room full of probably a hundred cats. As I walked by, one of them stuck her paw out through the cage bars at me. We took her home and she's been the best pet I've ever had.
Old 01-25-24, 08:12 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
My cat Harry (aka Butthead) was literally dumped in my hands at a farmer's market; couple of young women walked by the booth I was helping at with a tiny six-week-old kitten, I asked for pets, and they dumped him on me with the sob story that he'd been dumped on them and they were flying home the next day and would I take him? I had been told explicitly, NO MORE CATS (we were up to I think four at the time). I told myself that we'd just foster him while we found him a home; that delusion lasted until Bev and Alan saw him. I still miss him.

Harry at 6 weeks

Harry at 17 years

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
What's odd, is that both cats and dogs, if you're alert to them, chose the person they want to be their parents. We get all of our dogs from pounds and shelters, our first dog, and this is when I learned this, we went to several pounds and interacted with several dogs, none of them really could care less if we were there...except one, as we were leaving the cage area, one dog jumped up on the screen whining at us, the others could care less, my wife and I looked at each other and both of us learned that dog wanted to go home with us, so he did. After that experience, every time we go to find a dog, we let the dog chose us, and everytime we have been rewarded with a great dog.

When I was kid we got stray cats, they chose our home, and once my parents allowed the cat to stay, it was our cat from then on, they never ran off. Stray cats are very skittish, but for some reason they might find the right person, and won't be skittish to that person, and that probably happened to you NoGlider, that cat chose you.
Old 01-26-24, 06:47 PM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Oh we're including dead wildlife? I see a lot of dead rats on my commute, but I prefer to forget about them. I also see a lot of live rats, and my feeling about them is the same as for the dead ones. Ugh.
Reminds me of a time in 2010 when I was riding home from work. It was late, I think 10pm, so fully dark and the battery in my light was just about dead. So, I didn't see the very large dead deer on the side of the road until I was right on top of it. At this time, I was riding around a brakeless fixed gear (something I gladly no longer do) so stopping quickly wasn't going to happen. I was thankfully not going terribly fast given my lack of lighting, but still fast enough to be problematic in this situation. I got the front wheel off the ground to roll up onto the carcass but the back wheel hung up so down I went. I and the bike were unhurt, still annoying. Also annoying was recalling at that time that I had seen the very same dead deer on the way into work 9 hours earlier. Guess it was a low priority for the city to take care of.
Old 01-26-24, 07:00 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
lots of ear buds wired and wireless. found someones apple AirPods pros case and all all scattered. try to find the owner no luck so I put them back on the ground close to where I found them.

Old 02-09-24, 07:49 AM
truthseeker14

Bikes: Soma Double Cross DC, Bridgestone T-700 (1985)

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 15 Posts
On a pre-dawn commute this morning. American made so it must be good. It's well used. I think I will post an ad on Craigslist in the lost and found section.

Likes For truthseeker14:
Old 02-09-24, 11:33 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by truthseeker14
On a pre-dawn commute this morning. American made so it must be good. It's well used. I think I will post an ad on Craigslist in the lost and found section.

You could fix almost anything with that....
Old 02-10-24, 11:41 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Just keep the hammer, they're not worth any money even though they are rated as either the best or one of the best, that particular framing hammer new sold for around $25 depending on how old it is, today new that one is about $35 but the new one has a blue handle. Just take some steel wool and take the rust off, give it wipe down every few months afterwards with WD40 on a rag to try to keep the rust at bay.
Old 02-12-24, 11:00 AM
Lambkin55

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Curcit is my main bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
Was returning from 30 mile ride and found...

$9.00 at Walmart.
Only one plug used.

Last edited by Lambkin55; 02-12-24 at 06:47 PM. Reason: make it smaller