Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Opinions on Harbor Freight's "Fahgettaboutit" knockoff?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-09, 09:12 PM
doorunrun

Bikes: Giant Rincon '08, Nashbar CX Homebrew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yes, I know the saying, "there's a sucker is born every minute," but today at our local Harbor Freight store I picked up a Bunker Hill Security Heavy Duty Padlock & Chain (item 66067). It's supposed to be, well it looks a lot like a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboutit (NY-FAI) chain and lock. The cost is about $15. Sorry to say it doesn't come with any kind of loss protection insurance; I know I shudda forgottaboutit at this point. But.......

OK, I don't have the NY-FAI Kryptonite lock to compare it against so please don't get the flamethrowers out just yet. I'm bringing this up to get some opinions on this particular security solution. Like the NY-FAI the chain is nicely enclosed in a polyester cover with some white lettering on it. The chain links are square and colored like the NY-FAI. The lock is smallish and shaped a lot like NY-FAI. It's a keyed lock with a long key blade with interesting rectangular cuts. I'm betting the NY-FAI is very similar. I think HF should have had the guts to call it the "Hong Kong Not-To-Worry" bicycle lock.

So why buy this lock and chain? Well, for me it's going to act as a short-term lock used in tandem with a real Kryptonite U-lock. I have really lost confidence in cables for quick lockups and so this chain with the polyester cover appeals to me and the lock ain't too shabby either. Maybe when the perp is quickly scanning over a rack of bikes and spots this baby he'll look elsewhere.

I'm hoping to stimulate enough interest in this lock to get somebody to really take a whack at it and see how durable it really is.

Yo, waddaya tink?
Old 11-21-09, 09:24 PM
PorscheCritter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm sure it is durable and all. However most likely you'll find the tensile strength of the steel is lacking. Knockoffs tend not to be as good as the real deal. There generally is a reason for decreased price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
558px-Marineflametank1968.jpg (83.9 KB, 236 views)
558px-Marineflametank1968.jpg (83.9 KB, 859 views)
Old 11-21-09, 09:40 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've always figured that the primary function of a lock is to convince the potential thief to go after some other bike instead. Only if it fails in that does the secondary function come into play: to defeat a concerted attempt at breaking the lock. Sounds like that lock should be pretty good at the primary function.
Old 11-21-09, 11:04 PM
lambo_vt
member. heh.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably looks the same but is made of crappy steel. That said, depending on your location it may be adequate.
Old 11-21-09, 11:19 PM
ratell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Actually, it's probably just as good as the kryptonite and might even be made in the same factory. The problem is you'll never really know. They only way to be sure is to pay the full price for the name.
Old 11-22-09, 01:03 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
No, the primary purpose of the lock is to convince the owner that the bike won't be stolen. The secondary purpose is to deter the thief. As for actually preventing the theft, see the primary purpose.

Here's what you do. Go back to Harbor Freight. Buy an angle grinder. Make a video showing how long it takes to cut the lock. Sell a product placement ad in the video and post it. Use the proceeds to buy a back-up bike.
Old 11-22-09, 08:34 AM
lambo_vt
member. heh.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ratell
Actually, it's probably just as good as the kryptonite and might even be made in the same factory. The problem is you'll never really know. They only way to be sure is to pay the full price for the name.
Based on the items Harbor Freight usually carries, I'd be really surprised if the lock is made of anything but pot metal. The price of high-end locks pays for more than the manufacturer's name.
Old 11-22-09, 10:08 AM
rabinabo

Bikes: Orbea Onix, old Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's also the fact that Kryptonite covers you if it does get stolen, especially since the bike probably costs a lot more than the lock.
Old 11-22-09, 11:34 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rabinabo
There's also the fact that Kryptonite covers you if it does get stolen, especially since the bike probably costs a lot more than the lock.
yeah, kryponite says they cover your bike, but every try to get money out of them? Imagine how hard it is to prove that you locked up your bike correctly, that it was the lock that failed, not you. Now imagine the only evidence you have is your lack of a bike. Unless the thief is so nice as to leave the mangled remains, with a note saying how he did it, you're out of luck
Old 11-22-09, 12:24 PM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you present obstacles that make it harder and would make a thief have to work longer, the more likely he or she will look for an easier target. I carry multiple locks (1 good U lock and 2 heavy cable locks) and have a motion sensor alarm that's loud (100 decibels). The next lock I get will have an alarm (I carry a tarp to cover my bike and I'd like to use a lock with an alarm to secure the tarp). I'd rather have the locks and deal with the weight. I suspect some areas may see an uptick in bike thefts next year since I think we're poised to have gasoline go over $4.00 a gallon during summer driving season. That seems to be the tipping point when many people can't afford to keep driving and begin looking for alternatives. Unfortunately, some may decide it's easier to steal a bike than buy one.
Old 11-22-09, 04:33 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
I'm interested in the strength of the chain, I'll have to see if my local HF has them. For $15, I wouldn't be opposed to testing it with a hacksaw.

On a sort-of-related note, I found a Kryptonite chain at the flea market about a year ago with the remains of a broken integrated lock. One link in the chain had a hacksaw mark which went about 1/4 through the link. Someone obviously started cutting, ruined a blade or two, then changed tack and went to work on the lock with better results.

By the way - I look at the loss protection insurance as nothing more than marketing since they make you jump through scores of hoops before they ultimately decline your claim.

Last edited by Chris_in_Miami; 11-22-09 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-22-09, 05:20 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Harbor Freight doesn't sell much of anything that isn't a ***.

Sometimes, a *** is all you need to get the job done.

I can't type P O S now? That's weak.
Old 11-22-09, 07:11 PM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's probably ok, but understand that Harbor Freight is a discount hardware store...so you just bought a discount lock.

it might be a ***, but it might be just fine too. Do keep in mind that breaking a chain is easier than breaking a U-lock, since i've had to do both (chain for other purposes, u-lock due to lost keys)
Old 11-22-09, 10:41 PM
crx7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love harbor freight, nice discount tools.

Either lock can be cut through quickly with an angle grinder. However, no one walks around with an angle grinder.

The problem with locks like this is that they weigh three tons. for a small U-lock and a cable combo.
Old 11-23-09, 12:53 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by crx7
The problem with locks like this is that they weigh three tons. for a small U-lock and a cable combo.
for a big chain that I can use when all of the bike racks are full and I'm left locking to streetlights or trees.

But, that just depends on the area. I wish I could use a small U-lock more often.
Old 11-23-09, 12:59 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
By the way -- OP, do you have a link to it, or at least a pic? That item number doesn't return anything on Harbor Freight's site, and I'm not finding a combination of search terms that get it, either.
Old 11-23-09, 09:43 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by crx7
Either lock can be cut through quickly with an angle grinder. However, no one walks around with an angle grinder.
I'm not so sure about that. I would believe that no one walks around with an angle grinder unless they plan to steal a nice bike.
Old 11-23-09, 10:01 AM
doorunrun

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the comments. I'll have to upload some pictures. I could not find the item on HF's web site either.
Old 11-23-09, 10:14 AM
doorunrun

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's a view of the lock taken with my cell phone; there's not much detail in the black areas. The hasp of the lock is a rubberized material and the cover of the chain is a black woven fabric. The cover can't slip because it's riveted between the links. It weighs 4.5 pounds.
Attached Images
HF-lock.jpg (87.6 KB, 492 views)
Old 11-23-09, 11:31 AM
neverman

Bikes: Jamis Quest, Specialized Rockhopper, GT Karakoram, Pashley Roadster Sovereign

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know about the Harbor Freight, but a less expensive alternative to the NYFA lock is from bikeregistry.com. $35.00 and more security than I usually need:
https://www.bikeregistry.com/estore/p...6eb86ce134a88e

-K.
Old 11-23-09, 11:17 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by neverman
Don't know about the Harbor Freight, but a less expensive alternative to the NYFA lock is from bikeregistry.com. $35.00 and more security than I usually need:
https://www.bikeregistry.com/estore/p...6eb86ce134a88e

-K.
I'd kinda want a Kryptonite-style key instead, but damn, that's a hell of a lock & chain.
Old 11-24-09, 12:08 AM
jrich179

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In general Harbor Freight is fine- in fact, it is the epitome of "fine". And it will always be fine as long as know what you're getting from harbor freight. C-clamps for example- $1 each, and they do more or less what you want a c-clamp to do. Just don't try to compare it to a $7 Bessey, and don't too shocked if, after the 47th time you drop it on concrete, it fractures. It's cheaply made with cheap materials, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as you're aware of that. I'd assume a similar assessment of that chain

I'm more inclined to try out that BikeRegistry.com chain and lock- I've been eyeballing it for a while, and I think I might ask Santa what he uses to lock up his reindeer.
Old 02-16-18, 02:34 PM
cash360

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing you can do!

I'm sorry to tell you this, but there isn't a cable, chain, kryptonite, nothing made, that will stop my Ridgid battery operated 4 1/2" angle grinder from getting through any one of the locks, chains, whatever, within fifteen to thirty seconds. Sorry!
Old 02-16-18, 03:03 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
using an angle grinder; cut the lock
I did this with a genuine U-lock. it took a really long time to get thru it
Old 02-16-18, 03:22 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by cash360
I'm sorry to tell you this, but there isn't a cable, chain, kryptonite, nothing made, that will stop my Ridgid battery operated 4 1/2" angle grinder from getting through any one of the locks, chains, whatever, within fifteen to thirty seconds. Sorry!
Here is a review of the Harbor Freight chain.

I have to agree with rumrunn6, that it may well take a couple of minutes to cut a good Kryptonite NY lock, especially if it is around the frame and thus requires two cuts, in theory. Then it also depends on access.

I'd hope people would pay attention to someone cutting a lock, although the trick apparently is to have a look of being "official".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.