Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Giant vs Trek vs Diamondback Hybrid

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-17, 11:20 PM
pateljay1996

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need some thoughts on which hybrid to get. I'm new to biking and I'll mostly be using it for short rides/commutes (in NYC), nothing too intense. I'm looking for something comfortable and affordable. I don't know much about which brand or model is better for my purpose but I've been looking at these models:

Giant Escape, Giant Cypress, Trek FX, Diamondback Insight, and Diamondback Clarity.

These are around $330-400, which is what I am aiming for. Any suggestions from owners of these models or from people that know about them would be appreciated.
Old 07-21-17, 02:17 AM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
I just purchased an FX. Test ride them all, see which you're most comfortable with.
Old 07-21-17, 02:35 AM
ShaneC80

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After debating between a Trek DS2 and Giant Roam 2 I opted for a Giant Escape 3 after I realized a) I don't need the suspension b) $$$
Old 07-21-17, 05:04 AM
zaxmalloy

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy (I call her Big Orange), FELT Carbon F FRD Custom Road Bike, Salsa Vaya, Giant Escape

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Giant Escapes are great, versatile bikes. Got one a few years ago when I bought my first 'serious' adult bike and until a recent car accident the thing was invincible. Handles pavement and limestone trails capably. You may want to add some bar ends if you start doing longer rides to be able to change your position. Again, great choice.

Old 07-21-17, 06:02 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by pateljay1996
I need some thoughts on which hybrid to get. I'm new to biking and I'll mostly be using it for short rides/commutes (in NYC), nothing too intense. I'm looking for something comfortable and affordable. I don't know much about which brand or model is better for my purpose but I've been looking at these models:

Giant Escape, Giant Cypress, Trek FX, Diamondback Insight, and Diamondback Clarity.

These are around $330-400, which is what I am aiming for. Any suggestions from owners of these models or from people that know about them would be appreciated.
I often group hybrids into two basic categories: "performance" and "comfort". I mention this because it looks like you're cross-shopping different types of hybrids (in addition to different brands), and I wanted to share some thoughts on that.

Of the bikes you've listed, the Giant Escape, Trek FX, and both Diamondback models are "performance" hybrids. That is, they're generally thought of as "road bikes" with a flat handlebar. Sized to your body correctly, the saddle is generally at about the same height as the handlebar, so the riding position is a touch more aggressive than with a "comfort" hybrid.

The Giant Cypress is a "comfort" hybrid, with a more upright riding position. Trek's version of the Cypress is the Verve, and Diamondback offers the Vital, Edgewood, and Wildwood. You can see that the handlebar is generally set a few inches (or more) higher than the saddle, which makes for a more upright position.

It's my suggestion that this might be more comfortable for short rides/errands, but only you can decide what your body finds comfortable. But do keep an eye on your "comfort" options from Trek and Diamondback if you do like the Cypress. The Cypress is an excellent bike, but the others are as well -- good to have choices!
Old 07-21-17, 09:24 AM
Sceadu498

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Trek 6000, Built up a Carbon Raod Bike with a Wiel Frameset, Diamondback Insight

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I have the Diamondback Insight and it is a good bike. Use it when riding around the bad streets in my town or when I want a more upright ride then my road bike. Have been changing a few things to make it more to my liking. changed the grips and installed bar ends and changed the saddle. Cant go wrong with it. Nice to have something a bit different than everyone else.

In reality all the bikes are fine bikes and can't go wrong with any of them, get what fits and feel best to you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Insight 1a.jpg (35.2 KB, 86 views)