Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Inadequacy of "test rides", or, how to choose bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Inadequacy of "test rides", or, how to choose bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-17, 10:43 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We have 1.5 miles of MUP starting 3 back-street blocks away. Just let us know if you're wanting to ride more than ~5 minutes so we don't assume something went wrong and come looking for you. (Most people just go around the block.) If it's a pricier bike, leave ID and/or a credit card.
Old 08-05-17, 10:44 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by curttard
Yeah, definitely. I'm leaning toward the Diverge just because I think it will ultimately be the most comfortable (and thus for me "fun") bike to ride,.....................
reference the BOLDED PRINT

Is that not what bicycling is all about**********

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 08-06-17 at 03:50 AM.
Old 08-05-17, 11:12 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
When I bought my last bike, the shop owner let me take it home and I did a 22 mile ride the next day.
When I lived in Atlanta and bought a Felt bike, the shop manager let me take it out for as long as I wanted. So I took it through a few neighborhoods and ended up riding approx 10 miles.

Maybe you need to try a different bike shop.
Agreed. I've been on a few club rides of up to 60 miles on some mountain roads where I noticed one of our members on a different bike than usual. Turns out he was taking a test ride and figured one of our regular routes would give him the best comparison to his old bike.
Old 08-06-17, 05:57 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Does it though? I mean really- the fuji is so vastly inferior because it has dropouts that actually let the wheel drop out?

....although on the other hand I don't care about thru axles.

What's up with you people? If you disagree you don't have to be jerks about it.

OP, if you didn't want someone mentioning thru axles you should have stated you don't care about them. QR's on disc bikes will disappear in the next few years. Wheel changes are a little faster, it's easier to center the rotors between the pads. Bike manufacturers know everyone wants what the pro's ride, and you won't see one on a disc bike with QR's, which is the main reason they will disappear. The transition is already happening.

But I'll be sure to never post a reply in another of your threads.
Old 08-06-17, 06:27 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
IMO test rides are somewhat over rated. Go ahead and test ride, but realize one fact. A bike is a machine and will never change. A cyclist always has to conform to the bike.

Probably where a test ride is the most valuable is if going to a recumbent, especially high racers. OTOH anyone can ride a trike.
Old 08-06-17, 06:35 AM
curttard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass

Jeez, I don't know what I said that offended you. I'm just saying that QR vs thru axles is a non-factor for me, personally.
Old 08-06-17, 07:51 AM
bikehoco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
If your local store has test ride restrictions, go to a non-local store.
Old 08-06-17, 07:58 AM
bikehoco

Lots of unfriendly people here.
Old 08-06-17, 07:58 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Is that not what bicycling is all about**********
Cycling is about suffering, hardening the F up, matching socks to bar tape, and Strava. Bikes aren't even part of it.
Old 08-06-17, 08:03 AM
bikehoco

Originally Posted by Rowan
Just buy a bike and go ride it!! This anaylsis paralysis emerges so often here on BFs... and it cuts into riding time no end.

How dare someone ask for advice from others. /s
Old 08-06-17, 09:09 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I think I agree with the original post @curttard, for a new cyclist or even someone new to the particular geometry, a test ride is useless. Probably even worse than useless since tooling around the parking lot or around a couple of blocks feels completely different than the middle of your regular ride, when you're warmed up, been at it for an hour, and putting out some effort. Not to mention that your position, muscles and balance will probably all change after a few hundred miles.

I vividly recall the first time I saddled up on a road geometry bike. My immediate thought was, "Well a lot of people ride this kind of bike, and they're mostly uncoordinated so I'll get used to this." No offense to present company but that was literally how I reassured myself. There is no way I could have compared road bikes in test rides and had any sort of rational reason to prefer one over another. Touring bike, mountain bike, it would be the same situation.

The solution is "knowing", rather than "feeling." Bike sizing is well known, the impact of different geometries is well known. The relative advantages of different component levels are easy to find, if you reject marketing hype. Select your criteria, relate those to cost if that's a factor, and choose the bike that conforms. Then test ride the bikes for kicks.
Old 08-06-17, 09:29 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10960 Post(s)
Liked 7,488 Times in 4,189 Posts
I simply questioned if QR dropouts really kill the possibility of the fuji due to the reality that most riders i see will never, performance wise, need TA.

Genuine apologies if that came off as jerkish. I think its funny that someone who dismissed a liked bike solely for 1 thing is crying jerk though.
Old 08-06-17, 10:24 AM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
LOL! Fantastic post!

sarcasm/

I don't even own a bike, I just drive around in my car at between 18-37 mph, gathering up Strava points.

/sarcasm off

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Cycling is about suffering, hardening the F up, matching socks to bar tape, and Strava. Bikes aren't even part of it.
Old 08-06-17, 11:34 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Rje58 wins the thread, but more important ... He Wins Bicycles!!!

The rest of us might as well quit and change back into normal clothes.
Old 08-06-17, 02:55 PM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Rje58 wins the thread, but more important ... He Wins Bicycles!!!

The rest of us might as well quit and change back into normal clothes.

I wear normal clothes when riding.

If I were spending some bucks on a new bike I would not want one that had several "try out" miles.

BTW, you see more at 8 miles per hour.
Old 08-06-17, 04:15 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts

OP, if you didn't want someone mentioning thru axles you should have stated you don't care about them. QR's on disc bikes will disappear in the next few years. Wheel changes are a little faster, it's easier to center the rotors between the pads. Bike manufacturers know everyone wants what the pro's ride, and you won't see one on a disc bike with QR's, which is the main reason they will disappear. The transition is already happening.

Wow. A little sensitive are we? All he did was disagree with you that thru axles are a must have. You didn't put any of that rationale in your original reply, I think you're over-reacting.

I don't like TA because I like to be able to swap wheelsets, and I only have one disc brake bike.
Old 08-07-17, 07:17 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,211 Posts
I was bemused when a new bike shop opened up on the highway just over the ridge; there's no place to test ride a bike except their parking lot or the 4-lane, high speed, divided highway. All the other bike shops in my area are located so you can get a decent test ride in a neighborhood or low-traffic streets, within easy reach (except maybe at rush hour).

To the OP, maybe you need to drive a bit further to find a shop with bikes you're interested in that will let you take a real test ride.
Old 08-07-17, 07:44 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I dunno. Last time I took a Fuji out from Performance Bike, they specifically told me to go ride it over the curbs, jump it off things, and run through a big rock garden to see how it felt. I was looking at different fat bikes, and even just hanging out around the building and not taking it out on a trail, it was very easy to see how the couple different bikes fit me considerably different.

That said, if you want a "real" test run, find a demo day. Much easier to try out different styles of bikes and such there.

Originally Posted by Rowan
I know this is part of the new age of technology, where young people have to ask "permission" to buy stuff because they fear making a mistake and losing a fortune. Take a risk, and if it doesn't work out, resell it... and if it does work out, all the good.
I'd imagine there are just as many older folks who gave up riding because they went and bought the wrong thing without researching it and didn't end up liking it. As one who likes cheap old bikes, I can guarantee there are plenty of bikes bought on a whim that sat in a garage after being ridden all of a couple miles because they just weren't right for the owner.
Old 08-07-17, 07:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18412 Post(s)
Liked 15,534 Times in 7,328 Posts
I gotta admit I'm a little baffled on that score; it seems to me I can get pretty much any bike of roughly the right size to "fit" the same as any other given the fact that as far as contact points go we're only talking about saddle/handlebar drop (adjustable with stem height), saddle/handlebar reach (adjustable with stem length), and saddle/pedal fore/aft.

What am I missing here?
Your missing that simply standardizing those contact point measurements over bikes with differing frame geometries may put you in uncomfortable and/or inefficient riding positions. You might also have to do something like push the saddle all the way back or forward and/or have an inordinate number of spacers.
Old 08-07-17, 07:52 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Where I bought my bikes I think they just took my drivers license and said see ya later..
Old 08-07-17, 08:08 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by coffeesnob
Where I bought my bikes I think they just took my drivers license and said see ya later..
I read this before i looked at the previous posts or the title of the thread, and thought you had your license revoked permanently for some hideous traffic infraction ...
Old 08-07-17, 09:27 AM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can get pretty much any bike of roughly the right size to "fit" the same as any other given the fact that as far as contact points go we're only talking about saddle/handlebar drop (adjustable with stem height), saddle/handlebar reach (adjustable with stem length), and saddle/pedal fore/aft.
I'm sure you can replicate the fit.

I think test rides are really more about subjective "feel". It's not every bike that feels different, but some do. You won't know for sure unless you ride it. If you can feel a difference and have a strong preference for one over another, then factor that into your decision. If not, then you can eliminate "feel" as a consideration and move on to other considerations, such as price and color. If you're asking whether it's a necessary step in the shopping/research process, probably not. But if someone will let me ride a bike, I'll do it. It's fun.
Old 08-07-17, 09:57 AM
trainsktg

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Man, where's the 'like' button when you need it?

Keith