Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I want build wheels. Where do I get the various measurements for the hubs?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-19, 09:06 AM
Bat56

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I assume I can email the manufacturers and wait, but it seems like the numbers are out there and I should be able to find them.

I am am interested in the surly ultra new front disc hub and the all city front disc hub. Any of you have sources that can supply what I need?
Old 07-04-19, 09:40 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
A digital or dial caliper will give you all the dimensions you need.
Old 07-04-19, 09:47 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
+1 digital calipers

Measure them yourself several times to verify consistency and then use 2 different spoke length calculators to see if you get the same result. Finding out you bought the wrong length spokes would be very frustrating.

Here are a couple wheel building references:

https://www.parktool.com/blog/calvin...e-rim-diameter

Spoke Calculator: https://kstoerz.com/freespoke/
Old 07-04-19, 09:52 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Calipers work as long as you already have the hubs to measure. You need the flange dimensions (no. of holes, diameter of the spoke holes around the axle, diameter of the hole itself, flange spacing from the axle nut. And the rim diameter. And maybe other stuff. If you don't have the hubs yet, the mfr should be able to supply all these dimensions. Write, saying "I'm building wheels with your [hubs rims], model number xxxx. Can you send me the relevant dimensions for this product?".

Read Sheldon Brown's notes on wheel building, if not one of the basic books. I could be wrong, but your question seems to be a little bit like you've not done your homework and are asking for a tutorial here. Read up, ask the mfrs, use the online spoke-length computers and talk to your spoke supplier. Then order stuff go for it.

So, do your homework, and good luck.

I'm building my first wheelset now, and I've read three books and have purchased a bunch of equipment to do this (truing stand, dish gauge, spoke tension meter). That's me. I like tools. But folks have successfully built wheels using the bike for a truing stand, a home-made dishing gauge from 2x2 lumber, and have tested the spoke tension using the pitch of the plucked spoke.
Old 07-04-19, 09:56 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
+1 on calipers and measuring the hubs yourself. Production runs change. Employees in customer service change. The information they are working from doesn't always change and if it does, you might have in your hands an older model. (Rims also change. Measure those ERDs yourself or have the shop do it (if you trust them).

Ben
Old 07-04-19, 11:39 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Everything you need to do spoke length calculations can be found at these locations. It wasn't that hard to find.

https://allcitycycles.com/parts/go_d...vil_front_disc
https://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spe...lculation_info
Old 07-07-19, 07:58 PM
Bat56

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Calipers work as long as you already have the hubs to measure. You need the flange dimensions (no. of holes, diameter of the spoke holes around the axle, diameter of the hole itself, flange spacing from the axle nut. And the rim diameter. And maybe other stuff. If you don't have the hubs yet, the mfr should be able to supply all these dimensions. Write, saying "I'm building wheels with your [hubs rims], model number xxxx. Can you send me the relevant dimensions for this product?".

Read Sheldon Brown's notes on wheel building, if not one of the basic books. I could be wrong, but your question seems to be a little bit like you've not done your homework and are asking for a tutorial here. Read up, ask the mfrs, use the online spoke-length computers and talk to your spoke supplier. Then order stuff go for it.

So, do your homework, and good luck.

I'm building my first wheelset now, and I've read three books and have purchased a bunch of equipment to do this (truing stand, dish gauge, spoke tension meter). That's me. I like tools. But folks have successfully built wheels using the bike for a truing stand, a home-made dishing gauge from 2x2 lumber, and have tested the spoke tension using the pitch of the plucked spoke.
I’m not asking for a tutorial. The overwhelming response was to measure for myself, which is what I will do. It definitely seems like safest route and confirms my findings that reliable info is not published.
Old 07-07-19, 08:03 PM
Bat56

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Because you didn’t find it.

That All-City link is good. I don’t know how I missed that.

As for the Surly info, you must be punking me because I don’t think the ultra new even existed when that info was compiled. But like you said, it’s not that hard, so i’m thinking you didn’t try too hard, and are mostly interested in implying that I didn’t either.
Likes For Bat56:
Old 07-07-19, 08:04 PM
Bat56

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
A digital or dial caliper will give you all the dimensions you need.
Awesome. Thank you, that’s how I’ll do it.
Old 07-07-19, 08:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
I am all for measuring by hand for some of the odd older stuff but QBP has a great spoke length calculator and Surly and All City are both QBP brands and so far everything has been accurate for me. I have certainly in the past double checked measurements against other calculators but now just go QBP because it has been accurate.
https://online2.qbp.com/spokecalculator/

Certainly everyone is right and things can change here and there but usually if anything very small changes and probably are unlikely to effect the spoke length enough to worry a whole lot.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-07-19, 08:07 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Bat56
I’m not asking for a tutorial. The overwhelming response was to measure for myself, which is what I will do. It definitely seems like safest route and confirms my findings that reliable info is not published.
Meant no offense, my response was predicated on my interpretation of your original post.

I think that there's a lot of good data on stuff on the interweb. But no harm in being sure: measure twice and cut once. Also, checking with a caliper avoids gross errors.

My brother has a very slow, particular contractor doing work on his house. The guy does great work, but my bro swears his motto is "measure thrice, cut nonce".

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 07-07-19 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-07-19, 08:14 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Because you didn’t find it.

That All-City link is good. I don’t know how I missed that.

As for the Surly info, you must be punking me because I don’t think the ultra new even existed when that info was compiled. But like you said, it’s not that hard, so i’m thinking you didn’t try too hard, and are mostly interested in implying that I didn’t either.
Quote from the surly website.

"Ultra New hubs look much like their predecessors. In fact, the hub shells have not changed at all"

You're welcome
Old 07-07-19, 08:32 PM
Bat56

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I am all for measuring by hand for some of the odd older stuff but QBP has a great spoke length calculator and Surly and All City are both QBP brands and so far everything has been accurate for me. I have certainly in the past double checked measurements against other calculators but now just go QBP because it has been accurate.
https://online2.qbp.com/spokecalculator/

Certainly everyone is right and things can change here and there but usually if anything very small changes and probably are unlikely to effect the spoke length enough to worry a whole lot.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.
Old 07-07-19, 08:35 PM
Bat56

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
Quote from the surly website.

"Ultra New hubs look much like their predecessors. In fact, the hub shells have not changed at all"

You're welcome
Putting 2 and 2 together. I like that and it is exactly why I asked the question here. I appreciate all the answers that were provided without pretense.
Old 07-07-19, 08:51 PM
Bat56

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
...his motto is "measure thrice, cut nonce".
That’s been my wheel-building motto up until now. I was just going to order my parts from one place and have them provide the spokes based on their measurements but I want to do it all from the ground up. (That, and I am irrationally and unnecessarily frugal, and I can’t one-stop shop and AND get the best prices.) This thread is the last stop before putting pen to paper and placing my orders.
Old 07-07-19, 08:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.
No worries, I use the QBP calculator all the time so I am happy to get other people on it as well. I use the All City New Sheriff SLs and am quite happy with them and had considered the Surly hubs for a fixed gear disc brake equipped bike that never got built sadly.
Old 07-07-19, 10:43 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 377 Posts
FWIW: if you have Excel, you can download the Spocalc spreadsheet from the Sheldon Brown site. It has a bunch of premeasured hubs and rims and you can input your own measurements. I've used it for ages and it's never done me wrong.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..