Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Too Many Irresponsible Cagers

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Too Many Irresponsible Cagers

Old 08-21-19, 12:54 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Its not always possible to give all road users 1 meter of space.

What is possible, is to control the speed of the pass, and sometimes there are situations where the speed differential is far too excessive.

For this reason I strongly dislike riding on major highways with no shoulder, or worse no escape route at all.

Its like being a pin on a bowling lane.
Likes For SHBR:
Old 08-22-19, 10:17 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
If a car is squeezing by you while an oncoming vehicle goes by you in the other direction, you are too far to the right. Pretty simple fix- move further left.
Old 08-23-19, 05:16 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
move further left and the car wont pass.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-23-19, 07:05 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by wilsoncb
Seems like 4.2 mil would go a long way to first, educate people to slow down when it rains and second, educate people to understand some basic safety concepts.
Welcome to the Appalachians. Here in N.E. Tennessee, we refer to roadside memorials as redneck speed limit signs. Every time you see one you should slow down by another 5 miles an hour. Virtually all of the accidents with fatalities that have occurred since I moved here in 2006 have been a result of speeding or driving too fast for conditions. Many of those also have occurred very close to there the victim lived.

On a side note. The last few years that I've ridden the Tour Divide down into Montana, I've seen white crosses on the sides of the road. The state started putting them up as an awareness reminder for drivers and continued doing it.
Old 08-23-19, 07:13 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Originally Posted by bakerjw
I've seen white crosses on the sides of the road. The state started putting them up as an awareness reminder for drivers and continued doing it.
This should be standard practice everywhere.

Most people don't race around cemeteries based on my experience working in one.

If I die on the road, I wouldn't mind being buried next to it.

A simple white cross is sufficient.
Old 08-23-19, 07:27 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
If I die on the road, I wouldn't mind being buried next to it.
Wow, life really is cheap in your part of the world. Perhaps a white Buddha statue would be more appropriate?
Old 08-23-19, 07:31 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Burial isn't an option here, and cemetery space isn't cheap either.
Old 08-23-19, 11:47 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

move further left and the car wont pass.
The car directly behind you MIGHT not pass, but when they do the car tailgating them will have no time to react to the sudden appearance of a cyclist in the middle of the road after the first car makes a sketchy pass, especially if the operator of the second (or third) car/truck were looking into their phone screen instead of their windscreen.

Also depends on the speed people are traveling. If the road is 20-30mph limit MAYBE hogging a lane is the best solution. If the limit is 55, and most drivers are going 70mph, then hogging a lane is not only rude and inconsiderate but dangerous to everyone concerned including all motorists in the vicinity.

Depending on a motorist to be paying attention AND to do the right thing is really a sketchy philosophy not conducive to a long life for many cyclists represented by ghost bikes all over my city at least.
Old 08-23-19, 01:17 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

If the road is 20-30mph limit MAYBE hogging a lane is the best solution. If the limit is 55, and most drivers are going 70mph, then hogging a lane is not only rude and inconsiderate but dangerous to everyone concerned including all motorists in the vicinity.

Agree 112%, this ought to be a sticky, because it's the undeniable truth.
Old 08-23-19, 01:34 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

The car directly behind you MIGHT not pass, but when they do the car tailgating them will have no time to react to the sudden appearance of a cyclist in the middle of the road after the first car makes a sketchy pass, especially if the operator of the second (or third) car/truck were looking into their phone screen instead of their windscreen.

Also depends on the speed people are traveling. If the road is 20-30mph limit MAYBE hogging a lane is the best solution. If the limit is 55, and most drivers are going 70mph, then hogging a lane is not only rude and inconsiderate but dangerous to everyone concerned including all motorists in the vicinity.

Depending on a motorist to be paying attention AND to do the right thing is really a sketchy philosophy not conducive to a long life for many cyclists represented by ghost bikes all over my city at least.

You no longer cycle- go find a forum on battery powered longboards or whatever it is you use to putz around the city.

Someone posted that cars are squeezing past him while oncoming traffic passes. The obvious answers are-
- take a different route.
- move off to the side and only ride where there is no traffic close behind.
- stay on the road and if such a situation is undesirable, then move left to keep traffic from squeezing.

All the rest of your post is just rambling. If a car behind me is stuck going my speed, then once they pass, the car behind them inst going to suddenly run into me at some high speed- that car has been moving slowly too. Also, I am not suggesting a lane be hogged. Simply moving to the left to keep cars from passing while in the lane is no hogging.

I get that we all live in different areas with different situations and this forum makes me appreciate where I live. So much of what is complained about and worried over on this site just doesnt exist here. I can see why you dropped the bike and started using spring loaded stilts or whatever.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-23-19, 02:02 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Simply moving to the left to keep cars from passing while in the lane is no hogging.
So how does my 20 lb road bike (that I sold) and my 150 lb soft pink body (that has a nice golden summer tan now) KEEP cars from passing me? The whole problem is that I don't trust their judgement or their skill behind the wheel. Which is the premise of this post in the first place. Suggesting that someone put themselves in a possibly WORST position for injury or death, depending on the situation, is not doing them any favors.

The guy is riding far right and ALMOST getting hit. So he should move toward the CENTER of the travel lane. Brilliant. In a world where motorists give a darn, he wouldn't be having issues in the first place. Moving to the center just raises the possibility of becoming a road rage victim or just getting completely hit.
Old 08-23-19, 02:07 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by MrArrow
...people can't seem to pay attention or are just plain stupid.
That's it in a nutshell. Denial does not change the facts.
Old 08-23-19, 02:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

So how does my 20 lb road bike (that I sold) and my 150 lb soft pink body (that has a nice golden summer tan now) KEEP cars from passing me? The whole problem is that I don't trust their judgement or their skill behind the wheel. Which is the premise of this post in the first place. Suggesting that someone put themselves in a possibly WORST position for injury or death, depending on the situation, is not doing them any favors.

The guy is riding far right and ALMOST getting hit. So he should move toward the CENTER of the travel lane. Brilliant. In a world where motorists give a darn, he wouldn't be having issues in the first place. Moving to the center just raises the possibility of becoming a road rage victim or just getting completely hit.
Good lord. You ask what you should do and I answered it before, half joking. You should give up cycling. Congrats on doing what you should.

I am not advocating a cyclist hog the lane. I am not suggesting someone place themselves in the worst position for death. Once again, I offered other suggestions besides taking the lane- ride other routes or move off the road when there is traffic. Do those if you wish.
I personally have no desire to ride a road where I am in constant fear of being hit by heavy traffic moving 70mph. That doesnt sound like fun and if that were my only option for cycling, I would probably find a different hobby. Please understand that I didnt originally respond to a post that said traffic is building up behind me while also going 70mph, like the example you gave.
Riding in the right wheel indent makes passing cars move into the other lane to pass. This keeps them from buzzing when oncoming traffic approaches. That was my only point and its accurate. I have observed it as very common practice everywhere I have cycled or driven. If you take issue with it, then by all means suggest a different way. But rambling and adding in extra qualifiers like extreme speeding, unaware drivers speeding right behind a car that is slowed behind you, etc just makes for absurd hypotheticals.
Old 08-23-19, 08:05 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

But rambling and adding in extra qualifiers like extreme speeding, unaware drivers speeding right behind a car that is slowed behind you, etc just makes for absurd hypotheticals.
Happens every day where I live. Very far from absurd for sure. Everyone speeds. Many are not paying attention to driving while they are speeding and tailgating. And drunk or high. I should bike in the center of the lane. Perfect!
Old 08-23-19, 08:24 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

I thought this was the "Advocacy and Safety" subforum. If you wanna argue passionately in favor of bike safety, this is the place to do it.

Last edited by Lemond1985; 08-23-19 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-23-19, 08:33 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Happens every day where I live. Very far from absurd for sure. Everyone speeds. Many are not paying attention to driving while they are speeding and tailgating. And drunk or high. I should bike in the center of the lane. Perfect!
Are you incapable or unwilling to acknowledge that I have offered alternatives to the point you keep arguing? Also, why do you continue to phrase the one suggestion in a different way that I phrased it?

I never said to ride in the center of the lane. I have repeatedly specified the right tire indent. So moving from the far right edge to the right wheel indent.

Until you are willing or able to have a discussion where you accurately represent my comments, I see no reason for this to continue. There is simply no benefit in continuing if you are going to keep misrepresenting my comments and then arguing against the misrepresented comments.

Also, offer up suggestions. We are all ears...
Old 08-23-19, 08:36 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

I'd imagine driving behavior is quite different in LA compared to IA.

I typically ride where visibility is best.

If there is a motorist closing in fast from behind without slowing down or changing direction, I use any possible escape route, sometimes the oncoming lane if its clear.

I prefer not to be a sitting duck.
Old 08-24-19, 01:11 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Also, offer up suggestions. We are all ears...
Close passes by motorists are part of the program for all road cyclists. If you can't tolerate close passes, then you will always be unhappy cycling around motorists. Close passes are completely out of our control. Carefully choosing how we live our lives and what chances we are willing to take is 100% within our control. The only solution to cure close passes by motorists is to stay off the roads.

If someone continues to makes a choice and it often causes them misery, who's fault is that?
Old 08-24-19, 02:24 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Close passes by motorists are part of the program for all road cyclists. If you can't tolerate close passes, then you will always be unhappy cycling around motorists. Close passes are completely out of our control. Carefully choosing how we live our lives and what chances we are willing to take is 100% within our control. The only solution to cure close passes by motorists is to stay off the roads.

If someone continues to makes a choice and it often causes them misery, who's fault is that?
This I can agree with 100%. I can't say that about all your opinions, but you've got my support on this one. Like you really need my approval. LOL.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 08-24-19, 04:30 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Close passes are completely out of our control.
Untrue. I control close passes every day I'm on the bike, as did you (back when you rode) and do most cyclists on this board. I can't totally eliminate close passes, but damn near.

So much unwarranted fear from the rear.
Old 08-24-19, 06:36 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
you might be on to something here..

Originally Posted by rydabent
Contrary to conventional thinking, when I am on my trike with two flags, cars give me a great deal of room. Most go clear into the other lane.

I and some other trike riders believe that drivers think our trikes are some kind of handicap device or wheel chair. They stay clear because they wouldnt want their pictures on the front page saying-----Ralph Jones hits handicap man!!!!!!!
I overheard a local older rider at the cafe a few days ago comment that he almost never has a close passing call. But then he also always wears a pistol open carry on his left hip too....
I prefer to stick to back roads where after a year all the locals recognize me, leave room enough and wave.
Old 08-25-19, 12:25 AM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by Lemond1985

Agree 112%, this ought to be a sticky, because it's the undeniable truth.
Would you be so kind as to reveal the identity of the quoted so that I might insult their intelligence directly. As for you agreeing 112% ... where would I begin ... well for one thing, around here roads with 55mph speed limits are called interstates and bicycles are NOT allowed access. There are larger arterials with similar limits and they too ban bicycle traffic. That quote is such a mess of hyperbole and misinformation as to be gag inducing. Rude and inconsiderate ... you have no idea.
Old 08-25-19, 12:39 AM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Untrue. I control close passes every day I'm on the bike, as did you (back when you rode) and do most cyclists on this board. I can't totally eliminate close passes, but damn near.

No cyclist 'controls' multi-ton road vehicles piloted by human beings with varying degrees of aptitude and anger management skills. What you are experiencing is the bell curve of social order and civility. Do not confuse the average persons reluctance to murder a total stranger in cold blood with your 'control' over their basic nature. That way lies hubris. Oh the hubris. You yourself said you 'can't totally eliminate close passes'. Actually, you can't eliminate ANY of them! So just be thankful that 90% of drivers have no wish to buzz you, because, if they did ... they would. And that would really suck, wouldn't it?
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 08-25-19, 01:04 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick

You are partly correct. FYI...here are my "rules" for "controlling" a traffic lane.

1. I have to be moving at or near 20 mph to even consider controlling a lane.

2. The posted speed limit must be AT MOST 35 mph. Unless...

3. I am descending a mountain pass DOING the speed limit or exceeding it. Then I will act like I am on a motorcycle.

Otherwise, I stay far right. If I get buzzed, that's my problem. Perhaps I should reconsider the route or my choice of transportation. In my opinion, controlling a traffic lane under any other circumstances is rude, selfish, and dangerous for everybody concerned including innocent motorists traveling in the opposite direction.

So yes, I have controlled many lanes in my time under some very strict parameters. Mostly in the city grid where everybody is moving at 25 mph or less.

The only reason more cyclists don't get hit from behind while hogging a travel lane is because most motorists do not want to damage their vehicles or be delayed by hitting us. Otherwise, I believe many drivers would be perfectly happy to steamroll me.
Old 08-25-19, 06:51 PM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by fhaller
I have never personally seen anyone with a noodle
I have seen one cyclist in my area use the pool noodle. I hadn’t heard about the practice so wasn’t sure what I was seeing. Eventually I figured it out. In my view it just presents a larger profile for a close passer to graze a cyclist.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.