Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

One Man’s View Of Disc Brakes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

One Man’s View Of Disc Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-19, 08:41 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Discs: They make the rims more durable if you bike often in wet mess, the grit can wear through the rim sidewalls. For a wet-weather bike, I think a big plus. But pads are expensive.

Rim brakes: Replacement pads are dirt cheap,
a bike shop near me has cartridge pads (with housings and inserts) for $4 a pair, but was out of them for about a year; When they finally got more in, I bought half a dozen sets.
the difference is about $12 a pair for pads(disc vs rim), but the braking performance difference is huge(wet or dry).

Do you really worry about about spending an extra $75 per year on stuff like this?
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 08-26-19, 09:04 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Can't say that I've ever heard this one. Funny.
In the very early days of disc brakes, I remember, tandem riders mainly, complaints of issue with the fluid boiling from the heat on long descents. I believe that the industry got that issue figured out.
Old 08-26-19, 09:45 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
In the very early days of disc brakes, I remember, tandem riders mainly, complaints of issue with the fluid boiling from the heat on long descents. I believe that the industry got that issue figured out.
He said "disc brake pads" failing. That's a far cry from fluid boiling.
Old 08-26-19, 10:00 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Pads fail all the time, but only ever with disc. That's why they're so popular, everybody who rode disc brakes is dead and can't tell us the truth. That's why Big Bike is forcing them on us.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-26-19, 10:15 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
the difference is about $12 a pair for pads(disc vs rim), but the braking performance difference is huge(wet or dry).

Do you really worry about about spending an extra $75 per year on stuff like this?
Well, retired on social security, no pension, living in an SRO, actually yes.

To be truthful, when I was first looking into a folding bike (because it fits in my tiny SRO), I wanted the cool one with discs but wasn't willing to spend twice the price. We have some long hills here and I was worried about the 20" rims heating up. But I've checked them after descents and they are fine. Later, I learned of the higher cost. But upon test riding a newer folder with mechanical discs, the wheels locked up incredibly easy, as the discs were designed for 26"+ wheels, not 20". Smaller road discs and hydraulics I think would be a necessity, but that ads complexity and field serviceability issues.

On the other hand, after about 5 years on the bike, the rim sidewalls are noticeably concave from brake wear. These are cheap rims, single wall, no hard anodizing, and several times a year I need to clean embedded aluminum bits from the brake pads, it think due to galling.

Discs would be nice. But if I ever get them, I'm going to use ones that have the most common, low cost pads, with good material selection.
Old 08-26-19, 10:21 PM
colnago62

He said "disc brake pads" failing. That's a far cry from fluid boiling.
When flying down a mountain pass, that is a distinction with the same consequence.
I thought maybe he was mixed up as I don’t remember pads being an issue ever. My point really was that was a very long time ago and those types of issues don’t exist today.
Old 08-27-19, 02:13 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup

The pads are insignificant compared to the delta between rim and disc bikes:

https://www.wiggle.com/fuji-sl-23-disc-road-bike-2019/

https://www.wiggle.com/fuji-sl-23-road-bike-2019/

Its several hundred if comparing apples to apples.
Old 08-27-19, 05:28 AM
WhyFi

... as I don’t remember pads being an issue ever.
... which was the point of my comment, which I thought was pretty clear.
Old 08-27-19, 07:23 AM
colnago62

... which was the point of my comment, which I thought was pretty clear.
You really weren’t that clear, but it doesn’t really matter as my response was aimed at the person who was recounting something he possibly read.
Old 08-27-19, 07:28 AM
WhyFi

You really weren’t that clear, but it doesn’t really matter as my response was aimed at the person who was recounting something he possibly read.
Looking back at my comment, and the quote provided for context, I think it's pretty clear and that the failing is not mine. Cheers.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-27-19, 08:10 AM
marcoguzm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Weight

Originally Posted by sheddle
i think my view of disc brakes is that they seem cool but i won't get them because the bikes that don't have them are cheaper
It is not only more expensive to use a bicycle with disk brakes, it's also heavier.
Likes For marcoguzm:
Old 08-27-19, 10:54 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Disc-equipped bikes are also theft magnets in my 'hood. Leave a carbon Colnago next to a disc Huffy, and the Hufster will get pinched every time.

Mind you, for their personal rides, the addict thieves tend to favour 50-pound full-suspension rigs (8" of travel front and rear with 3" knobbies) for riding around a paved urban environment with excellent roads. Big discs and largest rotors. Go figure.
Old 08-27-19, 11:11 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
I sold my Ti bike to get disc brakes and regret it. Will be ordering a lynskey soon with disc brakes. Disc brakes are in fact better.
Old 08-27-19, 11:12 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by marcoguzm
It is not only more expensive to use a bicycle with disk brakes, it's also heavier.
That's why smart people like us ride fixies with coaster brakes.
Old 08-27-19, 11:25 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
That's why smart people like us ride fixies with coaster brakes.
Crap! Another troll with a fictive bike.
Old 08-27-19, 03:08 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Discs: They make the rims more durable if you bike often in wet mess, the grit can wear through the rim sidewalls. For a wet-weather bike, I think a big plus. But pads are expensive.

Rim brakes: Replacement pads are dirt cheap, a bike shop near me has cartridge pads (with housings and inserts) for $4 a pair, but was out of them for about a year; When they finally got more in, I bought half a dozen sets.
Disc pads for my mtb are about $10 at REI and I've seen them online for $7.
I think Shimano Dura Ace rim pads are at least that much.
Old 08-27-19, 03:54 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Mind you, for their personal rides, the addict thieves tend to favour 50-pound full-suspension rigs (8" of travel front and rear with 3" knobbies) for riding around a paved urban environment with excellent roads. Big discs and largest rotors. Go figure.

Go figure...
Old 08-27-19, 04:25 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
Wow, Doge....what brake/pad/rim combo has that kind of power? Our tandems have XT and XTR V-brakes, KoolStop salmon pads, & Mavic rims. Braking power is adequate but I would not hesitate to spend money on improved performance.
Scott Mathauser on Super Champion smooth rims. I trimmed, reglued with Epoxylite 6203. Same pads, now 30 years old, 100K miles on tandem my friend bought. I'll see if I can take a pick Wed.
Brakes Campy SR, Campy Delta easy when you had the pull right (parallelogram). Most smooth carbon tubulars I would expect now. My current ENVE serrated surface rims - no way.

Old 08-27-19, 04:34 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
Wow, Doge....what brake/pad/rim combo has that kind of power? Our tandems have XT and XTR V-brakes, KoolStop salmon pads, & Mavic rims. Braking power is adequate but I would not hesitate to spend money on improved performance.
This similar setup, still Scotts with thicker pads and the brakes didn't have the leverage and these were the MAVIC ceramic rims that had less catch. Riding the replacement fork bent in the Cannondale Duet SR in 1993 from standing on the front wheel to avoid a crash. My bride (doing the SR for our honeymoon), was semi gently touched down on the side. No injury, messed up fork.
Point was the brakes alone did bend a steel Co-Motion tandem for in a panic stop.

A smooth clean rim with the right rubber sticks like crazy.

Old 08-27-19, 06:19 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Crap! Another troll with a fictive bike.
I broke a rib this weekend, so my poor bike has no rider for a while.
Old 08-27-19, 07:03 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I broke a rib this weekend, so my poor bike has no rider for a while.
Ooh, jeez! I bet riding isn’t the only thing you’re not doing. I hope it mends quickly.
Old 08-27-19, 07:57 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Disc pads for my mtb are about $10 at REI and I've seen them online for $7.
I think Shimano Dura Ace rim pads are at least that much.
That's great, I'd pay that for disc pads. Glad to see the price has come down.

It would be prohibitively expensive or impossible to retrofit discs to my current bike, but if I ever buy new, I'll be looking for discs. Mind you, on a 20" wheel folder, in addition to needing a smaller disc or pad to prevent hair-trigger-lockup, disc rotors may be more susceptible to damage when transporting the bike folded.
Old 08-27-19, 10:21 PM
McNamara

Bikes: Orbea Orca and a cheap steel frame road bike of indeterminate origin

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This thread has been an interesting read. I agreed with many of the viewpoints expressed in the video, though I found its style annoying.

With the exception of motorcycles I've never ridden disc brakes. I'm convinced of their utility, but I don't see myself getting a disc brake equipped bike any time soon. I live in a flat area, stay on paved roads, and only ride in the rain occasionally. For the time being, it makes a lot more sense for me to spend money improving my current bike with things like a power meter and better wheels than it does to run out and buy a brand new disc brake bike. If I build up my next bike from a frameset, it will have rim brakes too since that's what I know how to install and maintain. But if I buy an 'off-the-rack' bike, there's a good chance it will only come in disc brake format a few years from now. I'm fine with that.
Likes For McNamara:
Old 08-28-19, 12:14 AM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
Sounds painful.
Old 08-29-19, 12:21 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by McNamara
This thread has been an interesting read....

But if I buy an 'off-the-rack' bike, there's a good chance it will only come in disc brake format a few years from now. I'm fine with that.
Well, you shouldn't be fine with the bike industry limiting your choices and forcing you to be locked to your shop for expensive yearly maintenance (hydraulic discs).

For riding in relatively flat and dry conditions, discs add a bunch of unnecessary weight, complexity and incompatibilities.

I was riding with a fast crowd yesterday on a ride that alternated between soul-crushing climbs and warp-speed twisty descents. With rim brakes and Scott brake pads, I was likely braking at the limits of wheel adhesion to the pavement. And this was on good dry asphalt. Good thing I was on rim brakes.
Likes For Dave Mayer:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.