Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Vuelta zerolite comp wheel question

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 09-11-19, 10:16 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts

Hopefully someone here can help out on this...
I just picked up a set of secondhand Vuelta Zerolite Track Comp wheels. The seller told me that the front hub needed service, no worries... So, the front axle is already out and I'm a bit stumped. The hub side looks like a normal cup-and-cone setup with loose balls and a bearing pocket. But the axle side does not look like any bearing cone I've ever seen before. Instead of an angled cone, there is a smaller diameter cylindrical section that threads onto the axle. When I put it on the wheel with balls in the race, nothing seems to contact the seal. It does seem to roll on the bearings, but looking at this part that threads in it really seems like it is intended for a sealed bearing setup and not cup-and-cone. Does Vuelta have a strange bearing setup for their wheels, or is there a chance that the axle on this wheel got mixed up at some point?
Old 09-12-19, 04:40 AM
bmwjoe

Bikes: Pinarello FP Due, Cesare track bike modified for the street.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 25 Posts
I use the same wheels on my bike. The bearings appear to be normal to me. The fronts have a rubber seal that presses into the hub and rides on the cone.

I have had a lot of these wheels as the rear wheel bearings seem to only last ~5000 miles. I have purchased several sets of these wheels through the old Nashbar while they were about $80/set. I tried replacing the cup/cone bearings with cartridge bearings on one set, but they got loose over time. I am still working on a long term solution. In general I am happy with the wheels. They run true and I have had zero non-bearing issues. When I was able to get a pair of wheels for little more than a pair of tires this did not seem like a big deal as I ride a lot.

I have contacted Vuelta about this and they told me they get the track hubs from KT https://www.ktgroup.net/

Vuelta track wheels
Old 09-12-19, 05:15 AM
nightfly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Think it's kind of funny that you would keep buying crappy wheels that you know only last for a short time instead of investing in some better quality wheels and hubs.

Or at least get a decent hub put in the old rim.

I get it if it's all you can afford but once you buy multiple sets, the math gets a little fuzzy.
Old 09-12-19, 07:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
Originally Posted by nightfly
Think it's kind of funny that you would keep buying crappy wheels that you know only last for a short time instead of investing in some better quality wheels and hubs.

Or at least get a decent hub put in the old rim.

I get it if it's all you can afford but once you buy multiple sets, the math gets a little fuzzy.
People are odd. I like to have a good high quality handbuilt wheelset that with high quality parts could last nearly forever. I hate having to service stuff often or have oddity parts that aren't easily serviced.
Old 09-13-19, 06:21 AM
Caliper

Originally Posted by bmwjoe
I use the same wheels on my bike. The bearings appear to be normal to me. The fronts have a rubber seal that presses into the hub and rides on the cone.

I have had a lot of these wheels as the rear wheel bearings seem to only last ~5000 miles. I have purchased several sets of these wheels through the old Nashbar while they were about $80/set. I tried replacing the cup/cone bearings with cartridge bearings on one set, but they got loose over time. I am still working on a long term solution. In general I am happy with the wheels. They run true and I have had zero non-bearing issues. When I was able to get a pair of wheels for little more than a pair of tires this did not seem like a big deal as I ride a lot.
So, I ended up ordering a front axle set off Vuelta's website. According to the pic that their CS rep sent me, I should be getting an axle, cones, locknuts, axle nuts and balls all for $12 delivered. Just replacing the bearings might be better than buying a whole new wheelset... Tracking says I'll have it Monday so can update then.

I believe that somehow the previous owner gave me a cup/cone bearing wheel with the axle parts for a cartridge bearing setup. At least I'll have a hollow axle for use with a quick release instead of the axle nuts that the replacement parts look to have.
Old 09-13-19, 10:29 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
So is this a bearing issue or a race issue? 5k for mediocre bearings seems good.

Do you have any pics to show what you are referencing?
Old 09-14-19, 04:59 AM
bmwjoe

Yep. Here is a typical set:

Typical pitting

I tried to order replacements from Vuelta, several years ago but they only had the axles. No cones.
Old 09-14-19, 12:01 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Yep. Here is a typical set:

Typical pitting

I tried to order replacements from Vuelta, several years ago but they only had the axles. No cones.
Yikes!!! No bueno. Was that stock grease? Seems like extra soft races!
Old 09-14-19, 12:29 PM
bmwjoe

Yes, that was with stock grease. They all looked about the same when I took them apart. The last pair I repacked with marine grease when they were new. We will see how they make out. I was thinking of getting some replacement cones from Wheels Manufacturing to rehab my other wheels:

https://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-p...cones.html?p=1

Is there another source for cones?

The balls were also chewed up. Is there a good source for balls?
Old 09-17-19, 10:38 AM
Caliper

So, I just received the "Front Axle Set Without Bearings (1151566F01)" from here: https://www.vueltausa.com/vuelta-whe...eel-parts.html

It includes: an axle, two cones, two cone lucknuts, two axle nuts and 20 balls. Not sure what "without bearings" means on Vuelta's website, but that's what I got. All installed perfectly into my front wheel with some fresh grease and spins nicely. Shipping costs more than the part, but I'm now out just under $22 for this wheelset so all's well. The cones are designed for Vuelta's "sealed loose" system though, so do not have the shields on them like in bmwjoe's pics.

Downside, it is a 10mm solid axle, so no QR. I'll have to fix that.
Old 09-17-19, 11:11 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Is there another source for cones?

The balls were also chewed up. Is there a good source for balls?
If Vuelta can't help you through the kit described above by @Caliper...

Harris's website used to have a link to their special order catalog that showed almost every cone and axle size ever made. I don't see anything that extensive now, but I think they'd be the source if anyone is. And they have a good selection of balls, dirt cheap.

Harris Cyclery Special Order Parts
Old 09-17-19, 06:49 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Not too bad. So $22 for both front and rear rebuild/service? How much does this wheelset weigh? Any difference between the original parts and replacement parts? Just curious.
Old 09-18-19, 08:34 AM
Caliper

Originally Posted by Senrab62
Not too bad. So $22 for both front and rear rebuild/service? How much does this wheelset weigh? Any difference between the original parts and replacement parts? Just curious.
I never saw the original parts. The parts I got when I bought the wheel secondhand were obviously not for cup/cone bearings. But the parts I received fit fine.
Old 09-18-19, 02:21 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Originally Posted by Caliper
I never saw the original parts. The parts I got when I bought the wheel secondhand were obviously not for cup/cone bearings. But the parts I received fit fine.
Ahhh, gotcha. I am dense sometimes.
Old 09-18-19, 04:27 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts

I have contacted Vuelta about this and they told me they get the track hubs from KT https://www.ktgroup.net/

Vuelta track wheels
Could have got two sets of wheels that don't crap out after 5k miles for the same price.