Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Old 04-10-18, 08:31 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I'm fine with 12 speed, but I think it needs to stop there (I'm sure it wont). People aren't going to buy 13 speed because we don't need any more bad juju out there. 14 just seems excessive, even with a 1x setup.
Old 04-10-18, 08:37 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I'm going to stick with 10-speed until we get to 14-speed.
I switched to 11 speed and I use an 11/32 rear cassette. I find the spacing between one of the gears too great and when I am around that spot in the cassette, I am constantly shifting trying to find a Goldilock's cadence. So another cog would probably solve the problem.
Old 04-10-18, 12:13 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
I don't really care about 12 speed.

A 10-tooth cog (which is already a thing I believe) sounds cooler. 53x10 is too much gear for pretty much anything, but still.

my race videos
Old 04-10-18, 08:25 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
This will open a whole other can of worms, but the more gears we get, it seems the worse chainlines will become. i was doing a lot of reading at work today about 1x setups and I really liked them but every article about these fancy casettes they use (9x36 or the like) seems to forget that you lose a massive amount of efficiency in the top and bottom of the casette. The big hit-squad in seattle is all racing on the 3t Strada this year, and they look like really nice bikes. 12 speed will help out a lot with that, but doesn't solve our chainline problem.
Old 04-11-18, 07:06 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Yeah. The friction I feel when I just put it in my 53x11 (on the stand) is appalling. Makes me really want a 54 so I can run a straighter chainline. No way on earth I'd ever want a 10.
Old 04-11-18, 07:58 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
According to Friction facts, 53x11 was measured at ~8.7W of drag. 53x14 was ~7W. 1.5 Watts. 53x28 was ~7.8 W. So it's not huge, but the feel of it matters. And a 10t is going to be less round than an 11 and, I'd predict, would probably produce more drag.
Old 04-12-18, 10:43 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
My wife's derailleur hanger has fallen off twice now in the last two weeks.

It first happened a few weeks ago when she went to put her bike on her Kick'r. The DH screws were found on the floor. I had her take the bike to the shop to be checked/reinstalled.

It happened again today when she went to take her bike off the Kickr to ride outside. I'm not sure what is going on. The screws look fine. My only thought is that maybe the threads in the frame have stripped and the screws will no longer hold, though I can't really understand how that would suddenly happen?
Old 04-12-18, 12:46 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My wife's derailleur hanger has fallen off twice now in the last two weeks.

It first happened a few weeks ago when she went to put her bike on her Kick'r. The DH screws were found on the floor. I had her take the bike to the shop to be checked/reinstalled.

It happened again today when she went to take her bike off the Kickr to ride outside. I'm not sure what is going on. The screws look fine. My only thought is that maybe the threads in the frame have stripped and the screws will no longer hold, though I can't really understand how that would suddenly happen?
if it was cross-threaded on initial install and holding tenuously, some impact or other wiggle when moving to the kickr might have stripped the screws from the frame?
Old 04-13-18, 06:07 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I looked at it last night. The good news is that it doesn't look like there is anything wrong with the frame. Still, the derailleur hanger will not stay on. I think we need to get a new one.
Old 04-15-18, 01:43 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
This will open a whole other can of worms, but the more gears we get, it seems the worse chainlines will become. i was doing a lot of reading at work today about 1x setups and I really liked them but every article about these fancy casettes they use (9x36 or the like) seems to forget that you lose a massive amount of efficiency in the top and bottom of the casette. The big hit-squad in seattle is all racing on the 3t Strada this year, and they look like really nice bikes. 12 speed will help out a lot with that, but doesn't solve our chainline problem.
this is why it is important for people to understand why and when to use different combinations.

"zOMG <insert pro's name, but Bert Grabsch was really known for it> runs a 58T ring so he must use 58x11."

lots of misunderstanding. 1x setups involve numerous tradeoffs (mountain and road) and those trade-offs are not fully understood by people who jump on those setups.
Old 04-15-18, 08:19 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I switched to 11 speed and I use an 11/32 rear cassette. I find the spacing between one of the gears too great and when I am around that spot in the cassette, I am constantly shifting trying to find a Goldilock's cadence. So another cog would probably solve the problem.
Both of my 11-speed bikes have mid-cage RDs, and the 11-32 comes out when I have lots of climbing on the agenda. But since I live where it's flat, my favorite cassette is the 12-25, AKA "geezer's corncob". With a 50t chainring, the 19t cog gives about 18.5 mph at 90 rpm, and it's a one-tooth jump all the way to the 12t. The 11-23 gives the same spacing to the 11t, but I get a better chain line with the 12-25 and the 11-23 isn't available at the 105 level.

With the 11-32, I'm actually pretty comfortable with the 20t-18t-16t spacing, more so than with the 19t-17t spacing on the 11-25 on my other bike.

Demain, on roule!
Old 04-15-18, 08:33 PM
notwist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
has anyone had an issue with breaking derailleur cables inside shimano ultegra 6700 shifters? I must've gone though 3 rear derailleur cables over the course of last year and 1 so far this year. Additionally, this past weekend the front derailleur cable snapped which I never had happened before with any previous groupset I've had. I'm debating just changing out the shifters
Old 04-15-18, 09:09 PM
Matt2.8NJ
una carrera contrarreloj

Bikes: Venge, Tarmac, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by notwist
has anyone had an issue with breaking derailleur cables inside shimano ultegra 6700 shifters? I must've gone though 3 rear derailleur cables over the course of last year and 1 so far this year. Additionally, this past weekend the front derailleur cable snapped which I never had happened before with any previous groupset I've had. I'm debating just changing out the shifters

Sadly, yes 100% on my 6700 shifters. I prematurely replace them, usually every 3 months or so now to avoid problems.
Old 04-16-18, 08:43 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
What helmets are good these days? I'm so out of the loop, but it's getting warm here and I'd like to start riding again (with all my free time, we'll see if it actually happens). Went to get my helmet the other day (one of them anyway, my nicer one) and some of the plastic came apart in my hand, so I think that's probably time to trash that helmet.

I probably won't be racing for a while, so comfort is probably more important than aero. I like white helmets too, loved my Rudy Project Kontact, looks like they don't make that anymore though.
Old 04-16-18, 08:52 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
I recently got a kask mojito and I love it both from comfort and aesthetic. I also have a lazer bullet from my road team, only used it once so far at a race but it was pretty comfortable as well.
Old 04-16-18, 08:53 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by notwist
This is normal. This is frustrating, but normal.
Old 04-16-18, 08:57 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I think in a few years, it will be very difficult to find a road frame without disc brakes.

The industry wants to move that way.
Yup it's a done deal. Sad but true.

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I'm going down with the rim brake ship lol I have my $250 powertap wheel and I got what I think is an awesome deal on my new cross bike ($700 for 11speed sram), probably because it has canti brakes
I watched a lot of riders try and do this with cross. It was fine for 3-4 years then it was like a light-switch. All bikes were disc and the riders without were getting screwed left and right. How? "I just got a flat and my race is in 5 minutes - anyone have a wheel I can borrow? No?" - that kind of stuff.

Old 04-16-18, 09:02 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
This is normal. This is frustrating, but normal.
Indeed. Too normal. Even in current versions of Shimano groups - mechanically.

Went to the start of a race last year and had a rider come up - "I adjust the shifting and it's fine then like in a day or two it's off again. I keep tightening the cable with the barrell-"

"You have Shimano?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Your cable is about to snap the head off."

"That's what the NRS guys said. they said I need a new cable."

"You do - why don't you ask them to do it. I just got here and I am still unloading and setting up."

"I have a Madone. It's all integrated. They said they refuse to perform 'open heart surgery'"

"How long until your race?"

"Hour ten."

"Get me 1-2 other people to hold stuff and I'll get the swap done."

....One hour and 5 later it was done. A single derail cable swap. Now you know why I think integrated bikes have no place in actual races.

Old 04-16-18, 09:16 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Theoretically I try to replace my RD cable every 2k miles to be safe, but in practice I usually don't until the shifting gets wonky. To be fair to Shimano I do find it reasonably easy to replace the cable, it's just annoying that it happens so often. I guess it's the price paid for routing everything under the bar tape.
Old 04-16-18, 09:21 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Indeed. Too normal. Even in current versions of Shimano groups - mechanically.

Went to the start of a race last year and had a rider come up - "I adjust the shifting and it's fine then like in a day or two it's off again. I keep tightening the cable with the barrell-"

"You have Shimano?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Your cable is about to snap the head off."

"That's what the NRS guys said. they said I need a new cable."

"You do - why don't you ask them to do it. I just got here and I am still unloading and setting up."

"I have a Madone. It's all integrated. They said they refuse to perform 'open heart surgery'"

"How long until your race?"

"Hour ten."

"Get me 1-2 other people to hold stuff and I'll get the swap done."

....One hour and 5 later it was done. A single derail cable swap. Now you know why I think integrated bikes have no place in actual races.
What does integrated actually mean? Stem and all that?
Old 04-16-18, 09:22 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Theoretically I try to replace my RD cable every 2k miles to be safe, but in practice I usually don't until the shifting gets wonky. To be fair to Shimano I do find it reasonably easy to replace the cable, it's just annoying that it happens so often. I guess it's the price paid for routing everything under the bar tape.
Agreed, Completely reasonable. Just slips a lot of people's minds. I usually see them and ask when they last changed cables, "You're supposed to do that? Well I guess I have had the bike like 3 or 4 years...."

- without that I wouldn't need to be around.

Old 04-16-18, 09:25 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I recently got a kask mojito and I love it both from comfort and aesthetic. I also have a lazer bullet from my road team, only used it once so far at a race but it was pretty comfortable as well.
Not a fan of how far down in the back it looks like it goes. Is that a new safety thing? Doesn't look comfortable.
Old 04-16-18, 10:25 AM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I'm an idiot and mistakenly bought an S-Works Aerofly without the external cable exit holes.
It's the VIAS version so the cables are supposed to enter the frame through the stem. This is for an Allez Sprint.

Do I have any options (outside of drilling holes) or should I just re-sell it and take whatever loss is coming my way?
Old 04-16-18, 10:40 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by gsteinb
What does integrated actually mean? Stem and all that?
Yeah. In this case all 4 cables go through the integrated 1 piece bars and stem and into the head tube. down the steerer though holes in the headset spacers and around the headset. Into the downtube to a box that acts as an adjuster. Then through weird routing internally all the way around the BB and to the rear of the bike.

In order to get it all replaced and run new housing and cable where appropriate you essentially have to drop the front end out of the bike - disconnecting at least the front brake that is integrated and hidden in the fork with those "wind brake" flaps that open when you turn.

I can swap a cable on an externally routed bike in like 1-2 minutes tops when in a race situation. Tops. Less than a minute if it's mega-go time.

Rider podium'd. It was worth it but...

"Why is this so hard? Aren't these like top end race bikes?"
"Yes, they are but those using them at the top end have mechanics working on them daily and when there is a problem they have 1-3 spare bikes ready to go so they can fix the problem later."

Old 04-16-18, 10:42 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by Flatballer
Not a fan of how far down in the back it looks like it goes. Is that a new safety thing? Doesn't look comfortable.
My no-neck can barely wear a Kask Protone. I keep moving the harness down and then put it on and hear it go right back up as soon as I look up while on the bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.