Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What are you doing today(C&V bicycle related)?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What are you doing today(C&V bicycle related)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-15, 01:43 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2196 Post(s)
Liked 4,594 Times in 1,764 Posts
A second test ride on my newly-built Springfield. Much better than the first ride, after a few tweaks. The most important being the change from the Cinelli saddle I had on it - and that I was really determined to like - to a Brooks Pro. Boy, what a relief.

Old 05-11-15, 02:01 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir_Name
Today I got around to taking some pictures.

I took a stab at building wheels about a week ago. My first set:

They've survived two mixed surface rides with nary a ping, still true. We'll see how long that lasts - I'm hopeful.

This got a cleaning for the same build:

Nice looking wheels. The tires caught my attention as well. Will have to Google them.
Old 05-11-15, 02:08 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Those skewers caught my eye! I have two sets of 500 series hubs and no skewers to go with them.
Old 05-11-15, 02:10 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

@non-fixie - I rode my RockHopper with the Pro vs the Montello with a Flite last week. Like sitting in an easy chair!
Old 05-11-15, 04:19 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Sorry, no pictures, but I rode my Pedersen cyclocross bike with our club to watch the Amgen Tour of California actually ride through my neighborhood.

Luckily a bike shop had recently relocated to a good viewing spot, so we had a cookout there courtesy of the club. I went a ways down the road to observe a climbing section, which was pretty uneventful but for a 4-man breakaway having made it's way a few minutes off the front at the 1-hour mark.
Old 05-11-15, 06:20 PM
Paramount1973 

Bikes: Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930,Trek 660, Novara X-R, Giant Iguana. Fuji Sagres mixte.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Me? I'm going to head down into the basement and start cleaning up a 1988 Trek 660 that I found at a garage sale recently. It has double butted Reynolds 531 frame tubes with cromoly fork and stays. $40. It looks like it spent most of its life collecting dust. Seems like a really light bike.
Old 05-11-15, 06:43 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Did the usual romp thru the gravel and single tracks. Lots of rain, everything is soaked, especially in the ravines. Kind of fun though and change of adventure. No other mountain biker to be seen and I'm out there on a road bike giggling like a kid.

Assembled another vintage wheel, scale weighed, mild clean + wax frameset. I'll see how the evening goes but depending on time, start assembling

Front wheel as depicted w/ steel hubs, wing nuts 880 gm and the rear is 1174 gm. Found some salvaged vintage Alpina db spokes and Alpina nipples. Galvanized but half gone and looked nasty. I cleaned them and coated so will see how they hold up. Short one, so I used a straight of some kind. Can't get too picky these days for old spokes. I know there's hoarders of Robergel but no one is willing to sell long length.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg

Last edited by crank_addict; 05-11-15 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-11-15, 08:08 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 272 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Nice looking wheels. The tires caught my attention as well. Will have to Google them.
Thank you. A great learning experience for sure - and a great satisfaction to ride. The tires are fantastic judging by the first handful of rides. They roll fast and smooth. Dropping from pavement to light gravel/compacted dirt is cushy without any perceivable impact on momentum/speed. They do very well on larger gravel/light rocks as well. Very surefooted, and a bit of experimentation with air pressures really pays off. I'm still searching for the right amount for mixed surface rides, but am guessing I'll like a range of pressures specific to terrain - more like MTB riding versus road where I know what pressure each road bike/tire needs. I'd recommend them for sure. Mounting was a breeze to boot. A buddy has the same in 700x38c with the same feedback. We both went for the extralight version and are glad to have done so.

Originally Posted by SJX426
Those skewers caught my eye! I have two sets of 500 series hubs and no skewers to go with them.
Ha - I know what you mean. The hubs came with a front skewer, no rear. I have an M M Atom on the rear for now. I recently grabbed a rear skewer sans QR nut on eBay. Getting there... A complete front sold recently, but I passed. Now I kind of wish I hadn't. Oh well. Keep an eye out and set a reminder - it does seem like these pop up, sometimes even at a reasonable price.
Old 05-11-15, 08:25 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Might have to give them a try in 700's. On the other hand... I don't have a bike that uses 650B, so maybe.... I thought I had banished that demon. lol
Old 05-11-15, 08:43 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 272 Posts
Ha - I had a frameset and some MTB and road parts sitting around without plans, so I figured I'd build a cheap 650b project for kicks and to try out the tire size... It wound up being less cheap than I had planned (funny how that happens), but so far I'm loving it. And I now have a bunch of toys I can transfer to a better frameset designed around 650b when it's time. So far, best I can say is that this size gets you significant increases in volume over 700c while staying nimble. 700 certainly has its perks as well. These feel like 26" MTB and 700c road all wound up in one.
Old 05-11-15, 09:36 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,127 Times in 427 Posts
Picked up a 86 centurion ironman, early 80's pro-Miyata and a 1960
schwinn jaguar mark IV
Old 05-11-15, 09:48 PM
rcschafer

Bikes: '59 Raleigh Lenton, '86 Peugeot PSN-10 Triathalon, '84 Peugeot PGN-10, 8? Peugeot UE-18, Peugeot NS-540, '86 Giant Iguana (Xtracycle), Holdsworth Gemini tandem, Surly Cross Check fixie, '86 Centurion MV Ironman

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ha just finished a similar wheelset for my Peugeot P18C build: Mavic 500s and VO RAID rims. Put some Compass "Barlow Pass" tires on and their 38mm size balanced out the deep RAID rims. Can't wait to take them out for a spin!

I of course am missing a Mavic skewer for the front, so threw a Simplex on there. Close enough for now.
Old 05-12-15, 12:29 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Slathering an old B-17 with a second helping of Proofide. And finally scored a proper 1 1/8 quill stem for my wife's Trek 7900; her drop bar conversion is now as envisioned.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 05-12-15, 04:18 AM
SJX426 

Discovered that the jockey wheel was touching the largest sprocket on the Montello and adjusted the B screw. Also adjusted cable tension for improved shifting. Bought new batteries for the computer after they died on the ride home and replaced the old ones.
Hunted for the plastic piece that covers the braze on mounts for the 105 shift levers I am putting on the Mazi. I have no clue where it is and I just saw it a week ago. I would like to take the Masi with us on our vacation but I am running out of time. Need to add brake and shift cables/housings and chain.
Old 05-12-15, 04:28 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Just riding every day I can and trying to appreciate all of the good things in life.

Not much c&v about my Alu Cross, but I sure think a lot about classic builds while I'm out riding.

[IMG]IMG_2146 by gomango1849, on Flickr[/IMG]

As far as c&v goes, I am shipping a very nice bicycle I facilitated for a member on another forum.

I'll let him tell the story if he would like to, but it was a very wild ride to snare this one.

I drove a little over two hours, but I think it was worth it.

Last edited by gomango; 05-12-15 at 04:45 AM.
Old 05-12-15, 04:42 AM
gomango

Originally Posted by non-fixie
A second test ride on my newly-built Springfield. Much better than the first ride, after a few tweaks. The most important being the change from the Cinelli saddle I had on it - and that I was really determined to like - to a Brooks Pro. Boy, what a relief.

What an attractive bicycle.

Loving that color.
Old 05-12-15, 11:51 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2196 Post(s)
Liked 4,594 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
What an attractive bicycle.

Loving that color.
Thanks, Grady. I think I know where the inspiration came from:

BTW, Springfield was a small brand from Haarlem, that had its frames made by reputable frame builders for the local racing community. There's an interesting link with the Caballero Laurens team, that competed in the 1970 Tour de France. The team bikes were painted in the Caballero Laurens team colors, but the bikes themselves were not provided by the team sponsor. The riders bought their own favorite racing machines and had them painted. One or two of those Caballero team bikes were Springfields.

Old 05-12-15, 02:12 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
I did a little three step horse trading and finally let loose the Quattro Assi track bike to a home where it might get more use, then side-stepped to a 1995/6 Trek 520 which I'm in the process of setting up with racks and assorted other stuff. Not sure if it being a 1995 makes it a C&V, but being a steel bike with barend shifters probably let's it fit right in around here.
Old 05-13-15, 09:40 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Finishing up an overhaul on A Nishiki Pueblo circa 1988 or so. Replaced bb, shifters, brake levers, cables/housings all around, brake pads. The cantilever internal springs are weak, so ordered replacements to be here in a couple of days. I also repacked the wheel hubs, and replaced the 6 speed with a 7 speed freewheel as well as a new chain.

This is "phase 2" of my husband's birthday gift. This was his bike that he bought new when he was in college in Boulder. It still has the University of Colorado registration sticker on it! He is the original owner and he rode the bike all through college and after.

I did did the initial overhaul over a year ago and he rides it a ton, so it was time for the overhaul. It has Shimano Exage Country SLR components, but the brake/shifter combo lever broke, so he decided to upgrade to a 7-speed. It makes me so happy to see that he enjoys riding it.
Old 05-13-15, 12:39 PM
MeadMan2

Bikes: Mead Ranger '24- Armstrong 3sp '64 Follis 172 '74 Centurian Accordo 80's Mercian '85 Mark Zeh road '86 Kona Explosif '93 Merkx Ti AX '97 Santana Arriva tandem '99 Bike Friday tandem

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
Have some yard work to do this afternoon but later will do some work on the Armstrong in preparation for the 3 Speed Tour of Lake Pepin. *The only thing original to the Armstrong is the frame. *Has 700c rims, alloy shell SA hub, etc. etc. *When you are my age, you need all the help you can get. *The Tour is a fantastic 2 days, 85 miles of beautiful scenery & great people. * *
Old 05-13-15, 07:05 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I started a new box.....

Crankset/BB/Chainrings/Chainring bolts.
Cinelli stem/bar combo, SRAM wrap.
New Bontrager Inform RL saddle.
6500/DTSwiss R585 wheelset w/tires.
Chain, DT cable stops, spare brake pads.
Carbon-look chainstay protector.
Cable housings and cables.

The frame will be sent in due time.
The headset will be secured in a trade.
The calipers will be retrieved from a friend.
The shifters/RD/FD/cassette need to be sourced.
New decals have been chosen and ordered, OEM-spec.

My last personal C&V build, also the last Ironman for myself.
The frame I want, the fork I want, and it will be the color I want.
It's been too long without one, the local kids are forgetting.
Old 05-13-15, 07:10 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I started a new box.....

Crankset/BB/Chainrings/Chainring bolts.
Cinelli stem/bar combo, SRAM wrap.
New Bontrager Inform RL saddle.
6500/DTSwiss R585 wheelset w/tires.
Chain, DT cable stops, spare brake pads.
Carbon-look chainstay protector.
Cable housings and cables.

The frame will be sent in due time.
The headset will be secured in a trade.
The calipers will be retrieved from a friend.
The shifters/RD/FD/cassette need to be sourced.
New decals have been chosen and ordered, OEM-spec.

My last personal C&V build, also the last Ironman for myself.
The frame I want, the fork I want, and it will be the color I want.
It's been too long without one, the local kids are forgetting.
Good job.

Heh Robbie, I had some fun tonight. Got to hang out with Chrome Molly for a bit and see his very, very impressive bike collection.

He's doing a build for me. My RA is so bad right now I can barely shift a bike much less build one.

Pete is one heck of a guy.
Old 05-13-15, 07:48 PM
rcschafer

Bikes: '59 Raleigh Lenton, '86 Peugeot PSN-10 Triathalon, '84 Peugeot PGN-10, 8? Peugeot UE-18, Peugeot NS-540, '86 Giant Iguana (Xtracycle), Holdsworth Gemini tandem, Surly Cross Check fixie, '86 Centurion MV Ironman

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got enough things attached to my latest build ('85 Peugeot P18C) to ride it a few blocks - yeah the front der isn't hooked up and the rear brake needs dialing in but I COULD. NOT. RESIST.

With the narrow porteur bars it's got very sensitive handling. The wheels are VO RAIDs laced to Mavic 500-series hubs with the Compass "Barlow Pass" tires - looking forward to spending more time on them. Component-wise, it's kind of a mish-mash of whatever I had lying around - Stronglight (TS cranks), Mavic (hubs), Simplex (stem shifters, SX610 rear der), Shimano (front der), Regina (14-24 6-speed freewheel.) Was surprised to find a T/A bottle cage in my parts bin so of course that went on too.
Attached Images
IMG_0076.jpg (92.8 KB, 62 views)
IMG_0078.jpg (88.8 KB, 58 views)
IMG_0079.jpg (72.1 KB, 59 views)
IMG_0080.jpg (88.9 KB, 59 views)
Old 05-15-15, 02:04 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I'm RobbieTuning 3 bikes.
Old 05-15-15, 07:25 AM
AndyK 

Bikes: '11 TIME NXR Instinct, '03 De Rosa Planet '79 Paris Sport (Moulton)

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I'll be cleaning up the old Campy parts and starting the re-assembly of this '79 Paris Sport Moulton frame this weekend (hopefully)!

Last edited by AndyK; 05-15-15 at 02:56 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.