Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dude Explains Cycling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Dude Explains Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-19, 06:49 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
I ride a Cervelo too!
Old 11-07-19, 07:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
Don't know what you did wrong...because this video almost made me have to take another emergency trip to the hospital. Not only was it funny, it also matched a few of the people who I ride with. They are really into it...are mostly in the age range mentioned, don't race, and absolutely-positively care about everything that probably doesn't matter for someone in their situation. So yea, pretty hysterical really.
See post # 5 above where I quote his thread starter and see if you can spot the problems with what he did. In no way is a comparison to this video fair. As I said above, I like this video because it's pretty damn clever and has some really well-written lines.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-09-19, 09:48 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
The video was cute. The best part was actually during the ad at the end where he says he uses the sponsor VPN to be virtually in London while he rides Zwift virtually in London.
Old 11-10-19, 09:13 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
This video is somewhat funny but doesn't really break any new ground. In particular, it's sticking to the "annoying type-A cyclists are the lolz" trope. I don't understand why so many people are so annoyed by cyclists who want to get a workout in and go fast. Middle-aged cyclists like me who wear lycra, use a power meter and attack each other on rides are usually portrayed as pathetic and pretentious dorks trying to assert their dominance in the most eye-rolling way possible. The thought that maybe going fast is fun to some people, maybe getting in a tough workout is what some people are looking for and maybe it has nothing to do with the observer doesn't seem to occur to these people. No one seems to make similar comments about runners who like to go fast or people who take tennis seriously, only cyclists are singled out in this manner. It all fits in with the "entitled scofflaw cyclists in dorky lycra" stereotype that many drivers love to cite. I also see it all the time on this forum: "this ******* in lycra had the temerity to pass me on the road today! What a jerk! He's not a real cyclist!".

Don't get me wrong, there are many things to make fun of this in this niche subculture. I just wish the creator of this video went a little further than the trope-y low hanging fruit he stuck to.
Old 11-10-19, 07:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Hiro11
This video is somewhat funny but doesn't really break any new ground. In particular, it's sticking to the "annoying type-A cyclists are the lolz" trope. I don't understand why so many people are so annoyed by cyclists who want to get a workout in and go fast. Middle-aged cyclists like me who wear lycra, use a power meter and attack each other on rides are usually portrayed as pathetic and pretentious dorks trying to assert their dominance in the most eye-rolling way possible. The thought that maybe going fast is fun to some people, maybe getting in a tough workout is what some people are looking for and maybe it has nothing to do with the observer doesn't seem to occur to these people. No one seems to make similar comments about runners who like to go fast or people who take tennis seriously, only cyclists are singled out in this manner. It all fits in with the "entitled scofflaw cyclists in dorky lycra" stereotype that many drivers love to cite. I also see it all the time on this forum: "this ******* in lycra had the temerity to pass me on the road today! What a jerk! He's not a real cyclist!".

Don't get me wrong, there are many things to make fun of this in this niche subculture. I just wish the creator of this video went a little further than the trope-y low hanging fruit he stuck to.
You attack people on rides with your power meter? That's a problem.

Cute made-up quote. Care to actually quote someone saying something remotely like that?

Hate to break it to you, but it's definitely possible to ride very fast without wearing lycra and attacking people with power meters. The "real cyclist" snobbery seems to run from people who insist other people need that gear, not the other way around.
Old 11-10-19, 10:00 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Hate to break it to you, but it's definitely possible to ride very fast without wearing lycra and attacking people with power meters. The "real cyclist" snobbery seems to run from people who insist other people need that gear, not the other way around.
Where did I imply that you need to wear lycra to be a "real cyclist"? Do you realize that you are proving my point?
Old 11-11-19, 05:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by livedarklions
You attack people on rides with your power meter? That's a problem.

Cute made-up quote. Care to actually quote someone saying something remotely like that?

I don't understand why so many people are so annoyed by cyclists who want to get a workout in and go fast. Middle-aged cyclists like me who wear lycra, use a power meter and attack each other on rides are usually portrayed as pathetic and pretentious dorks trying to assert their dominance in the most eye-rolling way possible. The thought that maybe going fast is fun to some people, maybe getting in a tough workout is what some people are looking for and maybe it has nothing to do with the observer doesn't seem to occur to these people. No one seems to make similar comments about runners who like to go fast or people who take tennis seriously, only cyclists are singled out in this manner. It all fits in with the "entitled scofflaw cyclists in dorky lycra" stereotype that many drivers love to cite. I also see it all the time on this forum: "this ******* in lycra had the temerity to pass me on the road today! What a jerk! He's not a real cyclist!".
Where did I imply that you need to wear lycra to be a "real cyclist"? Do you realize that you are proving my point?
I didn't say you did, only that people who accuse other people of not being real cyclists are a whole hell of a lot more likely to be wearing lycra, making absurd claims about it's necessity to ride fast. I said that your post equated wearing lycra and using a power meter with going fast. If you didn't mean to do that, I suggest you review the quality of your writing.

So, according to you, I proved your point by saying something I didn't say? Good one!
Old 11-11-19, 08:54 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
@Hiro11 @livedarklions Yo! Can we not?
Likes For Ferrouscious:
Old 11-11-19, 09:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
@Hiro11 @livedarklions Yo! Can we not?
OK, but I have to say, I really want an excuse to say "We can't not" for esthetic reasons.
Old 11-11-19, 02:29 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
To roadies and others who shave their legs, etc- please take no offense. I ride a hybrid & we get laughed at too. It's ok! We all make jokes at each other, but we still respect each other. We're all on the same team. We're all cyclists & jus wanna ride!