Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

We're going to yell at you.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

We're going to yell at you.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-09, 06:21 PM
dsellinger
slowest!

Bikes: Felt, Atala, Kona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A good Friday thread. I read your book this week event services a good read, but you may have talked me out of trying a race...
Old 02-20-09, 07:34 PM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
i yelled at myself while on trainer tonight. just trying to get back into the swing of things. later.
Old 02-26-09, 05:40 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
Oh, F*ck. Is botto banned again? I am so way behind the curve when it comes to banning. Maybe I need to try harder.:lo l:
as is the person who banned me.
Old 02-26-09, 05:47 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
as is the person who banned me.
What did you do this time?
Old 02-26-09, 05:50 AM
botto 

Originally Posted by roadwarrior
What did you do this time?
linked to the website of one of LA's fans.
Old 02-26-09, 05:57 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
linked to the website of one of LA's fans.
That's a bannable offence?

Goodness...

Must have been a really good site.

Old 02-26-09, 05:58 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Why do you keep coming back B? My banning (incorrectly I might add) left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. If I were to be banned again I'm pretty sure (much to the delight of the masses) I'd slink off to some other time waster.
Old 02-26-09, 06:02 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Why do you keep coming back B? My banning (incorrectly I might add) left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. If I were to be banned again I'm pretty sure (much to the delight of the masses) I'd slink off to some other time waster.
It's like a train wreck...you can't look away....

Old 02-26-09, 06:06 AM
botto 

Originally Posted by gsteinb
that's an excellent question.

my simple answer is: i'll leave when i'm ready, not when an insignificant doormat tells me to.
Old 02-26-09, 11:28 AM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this still the yelling thread? Ok, good.

I do this ride on Wednesday mornings which is frequented by Pro tour riders, world and state champs of different disciplines, an olympic gold medalist, and a world speed record holder.
On this ride, there is a massively fast sprint at the halfway point, but not everyone goes for it all the time. One day, I pass on the sprint and just roll through. As I'm doing this, I roll by a guy who has slowed about 100 yards past the line and looking over his shoulder. I assume he's looking/waiting for someone. Whatever, we're going pretty slow anyway. Just about the time I go by, I hear someone yell "HOLD YOUR LINE, @$$HOLE! YOU FKING IDIOT!!!"
Well, I turn around to see what's coming, and it's gold medal man, who has initiated his own mini pack sprint behind the main group. I can't imagine what made him react this way, but pretty-much everyone on the ride knows him to be kind of a childish d-bag. As far as I know, the guy who had slowed wasn't trying to cut across the road or anything. There's a median, so there's no point in crossing the road right there. Now that rider despises gold medal man, and I have also lost some repsect for the medalist.
I asked someone what the gold medal's problem was, and they said he had someone turn in front of him a long time ago and collided with that rider, ending up with him breaking some bones. OK, I can understand that, but here's my question...
While I totally agree with him yelling and saying "hold your line," just to warn the guy, was it really necessary to verbally assault him? Or how about this...Should the medalist have done something to smooth things over after thinking it over and realizing the guy wasn't doing what he thought he was doing?

Or can the medalist just say whatever the fk he wants, whenever he wants, to whoever the fk he wants because by god he's a gold medalist?
Old 02-26-09, 11:35 AM
botto 

Originally Posted by Chucklehead
Is this still the yelling thread? Ok, good.

I do this ride on Wednesday mornings which is frequented by Pro tour riders, world and state champs of different disciplines, an olympic gold medalist, and a world speed record holder.
On this ride, there is a massively fast sprint at the halfway point, but not everyone goes for it all the time. One day, I pass on the sprint and just roll through. As I'm doing this, I roll by a guy who has slowed about 100 yards past the line and looking over his shoulder. I assume he's looking/waiting for someone. Whatever, we're going pretty slow anyway. Just about the time I go by, I hear someone yell "HOLD YOUR LINE, @$$HOLE! YOU FKING IDIOT!!!"
Well, I turn around to see what's coming, and it's gold medal man, who has initiated his own mini pack sprint behind the main group. I can't imagine what made him react this way, but pretty-much everyone on the ride knows him to be kind of a childish d-bag. As far as I know, the guy who had slowed wasn't trying to cut across the road or anything. There's a median, so there's no point in crossing the road right there. Now that rider despises gold medal man, and I have also lost some repsect for the medalist.
I asked someone what the gold medal's problem was, and they said he had someone turn in front of him a long time ago and collided with that rider, ending up with him breaking some bones. OK, I can understand that, but here's my question...

While I totally agree with him yelling and saying "hold your line," just to warn the guy, was it really necessary to verbally assault him? Or how about this...Should the medalist have done something to smooth things over after thinking it over and realizing the guy wasn't doing what he thought he was doing?

Or can the medalist just say whatever the fk he wants, whenever he wants, to whoever the fk he wants?
we all say things we wouldn't necessarily say if we weren't on a bike, with elevated adrenaline and heart rates.

as for smoothing things over, do it immediately, or don't bother. you missed your window.

as for his having a gold medal - it's irrelevant to the situation, as well as the question.
Old 02-26-09, 12:02 PM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as for his having a gold medal - it's irrelevant to the situation, as well as the question.
You're probably right. The fact that he's a prick to people has nothing to do with his medal. But it has everything to do with his status among the group and the fact that no one else said anything to him regarding his poor judgement.
Old 02-26-09, 12:50 PM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chucklehead
You're probably right. The fact that he's a prick to people has nothing to do with his medal. But it has everything to do with his status among the group and the fact that no one else said anything to him regarding his poor judgement.
I believe I know EXACTLY who you are talking about. He is very vocal and sometimes not the best representative of Gold medal winners. I also think if you are doing something like initiating your own sprint where 1) no one expects you to 2) it's understood the winner already recognized then you're the "idiot".
Old 02-26-09, 12:58 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
we all say things we wouldn't necessarily say if we weren't on a bike, with elevated adrenaline and heart rates.

as for smoothing things over, do it immediately, or don't bother. you missed your window.

Now that's a very well-reasoned & respectably mature post.

WHO ARE YOU & WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE REAL BOTTO?!?!?
Old 02-26-09, 01:15 PM
ROJA
Pepperoni Power

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What is the etiquette if the pace line isn't going fast enough for you (for example, in a club or group ride)? Is it rude to just pass the whole group?

Also, why are you not allowed to accelerate when you take your place at the front of the pace line? Why is it the fast guy's problem if the slow guys can't keep up?
Old 02-26-09, 01:17 PM
botto 

Originally Posted by ROJA
What is the etiquette if the pace line isn't going fast enough for you (for example, in a club or group ride)? Is it rude to just pass the whole group?

Also, why are you not allowed to accelerate when you take your place at the front of the pace line? Why is it the fast guy's problem if the slow guys can't keep up?
Old 02-26-09, 01:28 PM
Apus^2

Bikes: 2000 Cannondale CAAD3 Triple 105/Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and he misses the point of a paceline...
Old 02-26-09, 01:40 PM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Not rude at all.....Just pass the group and keep on going solo.
Old 02-26-09, 01:52 PM
chrisemt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, where is good place learn the basics before turning up for a group ride? I don't want to be yelled at and i feel sorry for anyone who lays a hand on me to pull me out of a line maliciously.
Old 02-26-09, 01:59 PM
botto 

Originally Posted by chrisemt
So, where is good place learn the basics before turning up for a group ride? I don't want to be yelled at and i feel sorry for anyone who lays a hand on me to pull me out of a line maliciously.
there's usually a group ride for beginners, organized by local bike shops or clubs, that help beginners to learn the ropes.
Old 02-26-09, 02:07 PM
Ratfish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
L3VI teaches a clinic on how to ride in a tight group without clipping wheels etc.
Old 02-26-09, 02:34 PM
San Rensho 

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts

The whole idea behind a pace line is that you are maximizing the GROUP's speed which is done by minimizing the effort of everyone. If you accelerate, that affects the whole group, who then have to accelerate to bridge small gaps, etc., which uses up energy that could be used to make the group as a whole go faster (or maintain a high average speed). In a group that is working well together, everyone is in synch, which means that accelerations should be smooth and gradual.

So the typical newbie move is to sit in, getting your beauty rest while the succession of guys at the front have been towing your butt, and then blast off the front to show then how fast you are. This is the most counterproductive thing you can do, and is in fact what you do if you are blocking and trying to get the group disorganized and slowed down.

Yes, you will get yelled at for blasting off the front and rightly so.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 02-26-09, 02:40 PM
San Rensho 

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisemt
If you are as clueless as your post makes you out to be, your bike handling skills are going to be so poor there is no way you will be able to retaliate against someone that pushes you out of the paceline.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 02-26-09, 03:43 PM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ratfish
L3VI teaches a clinic on how to ride in a tight group without clipping wheels etc.
Ha!
Old 02-26-09, 04:07 PM
ROJA
Pepperoni Power

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by garysol1
Not rude at all.....Just pass the group and keep on going solo.
That's what I figured, thanks. If you can go faster solo than in the paceline for a sustained distance, then you aren't really getting much benefit from it!

Last edited by ROJA; 02-26-09 at 04:14 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.