Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Back in the Saddle again. Greensboro, NC

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-19, 10:50 PM
Jac of Hearts

Bikes: 2012 Trek Dual Sport 8.5 Gary Fisher Collection

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 46 Posts

Hi I'm Jac Grimes from Greensboro, NC. I'm 65 years old and have ridden MTBs for years along with a stent on a recumbent but have not been on a bike for about 20 years until last May.

So here's my return to the saddle story. Last May when I dropped below 300 lbs I decided to start riding again. I bought a 2009 Gary Fisher Mako from a friend. I brought it home and just barely made it around my apartment complex. That's 0.3 of a mile. I thought I was going to die. I changed the seat, put some bar ends on it and persisted. At the end of the riding season I was regularly riding 5 to 6 miles. Not too bad for a fat boy on a mountain bike.

As my friend got ready to leave the state he sold me a better although older bike. I liked it but the frame was just too big. (Short legs). So it went on marketplace and craigslist and I ended up trading for a smaller frame bike of about equal value. I liked it a lot but the smaller frame felt crowded. I never could get comfortable. So I sold it to my son in law.

After 2 false stars I started researching new bikes. I figured I would get one I liked that fit and sell the 1st one. So off to Trek of Greensboro for a couple test rides. I looked at 2 hybrids, a DS2 and a Verge and a mountain bike, Marlin 5 and decided on the Marlin but a 6. It was a close call between the Marlin and the DS. So I ordered one on Friday and was told it would be a week. So I posted the Mako on my FB page and sold it yesterday to another friend and professional colleague.

Just for some perspective you must understand that FaceBook marketplace is the devil. Since I had made my decision wouldn't you know that a much better equipped like new hybrid, DS 8.5 popped up on my feed. For $100 less than the new Marlin 6 I had ordered. But did I really want a hybrid or a MTB? The seller and I started chatting and just as I had decided to pass he said he was leaving town tomorrow and dropped the price a $100 if I would buy it today. I'm now $200 back of a new Marlin and the DS 8.5 had everything I was sure I couldn't afford. So off to Raleigh to look at it.

Well if was everything I wanted and it was almost brand new despite being a 2012 model. I got her home, rode her 5 miles and couldn't be happier. A different seat, bar ends and kickstand and I'm all set.

Here's the weird part of the story. All 4 bikes are Gary Fishers. The bikes were a Mako, a Hoo Koo E Koo, a Montaire and the new one is a Gary Fisher collection by Trek. I guess my starts are aligned with GF.

Now to cancel the order on the Marlin. I think I'll take some donuts with me.

I've set a new ride goal and a new weight goal. Stay tuned.

Happy to be here and I'll be hanging out in Hybrids and with the Over 65 crowd.

Last edited by Jac of Hearts; 05-14-19 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-12-19, 11:18 PM
SoCalJim

Bikes: Bridgestone RB2 and 500 , Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Hi Jac Good luck with your new ride.
Old 05-14-19, 01:58 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Welcome!