Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Calum, 24, solo, cycling RTW, no idea and no fear!

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-19, 12:45 AM
CalumStenner

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker 54

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hello!
My name is Calum Stenner, I am 24 years old and am from the Gold Coast, Australia. I am currently on an over-dreamt, albeit, under-prepared cycle trip from Penang, Malaysia to Edinburgh, Scotland. Why the chosen Origin and Destination?
Origin: Penang, Malaysia - well, from Australia, the furthest body of connected land in Asia to Western Europe was Singapore/Malaysia - being a budget-conscious traveller, I chose Penang because the flight was $169AUD from my home city of Gold Coast; not bad!
Destination: Edinburgh, Scotland - My mother has recently emigrated back to her native Scotland (I am half-Scottish), and our family has been given an opportunity to tend for a relative's B&B in Tarbert on the Western Coast. Not only is the B&B a great opportunity; but so is the experience of taking a LONG way there... by Bicycle.

I have been riding a 2nd-hand XDS Ultimo 1.0 for the past 3,000km from Penang, through Malaysia via an excursion out to the Cameron Highlands, north through Thailand and along the Mae Hong Son Loop. However, Christmas is approaching and I've just treated myself to a brand new Surly Disc Trucker frame which is currently being built by a good friend in Chiang Mai.

I have not been riding long. In fact, before leaving Australia on November 25, I had never ridden a bicycle longer than 20km. But, in 2017/18 on a trip I spent walking, hitch-hiking, jumping trains (travelling Overland) from Singapore to Turkey, I met many cyclists who shared their stories, methods, distances, insight. They were able to cover 100km+ a day under their own power, and on their own schedule - I was intrigued. I researched a lot in early 2019 and found myself frequenting many forums, Facebook groups, reading articles, watching vlogs etc. So, in July 2019, I bought a 2nd-hand bike from Facebook Marketplace off a seller who became a great friend (planning to meet somewhere to cycle a leg with me) and began getting comfortable. I also began pulling my bike apart, only to put it together with the knowledge of "where it goes, why it goes there, how it goes there, and what can I use instead of it - if I have to"... that process has proven invaluable!
Since beginning this journey 1 month ago, I've covered approx. 3,000km in total, I've cycled mountain passes, carried my kit through shallow rivers, tied the bike to trucks when my brakes failed and made many memories - though I am still not a cyclist - I am just a young man, carefree, riding a bike from village to village.

As I said, I'm 1-month into my round-the-world tour from Malaysia to Scotland. I plan on riding from Thailand - Laos - China - Kyrgyzstan - Tajikistan - Uzbekistan - Turkmenistan (hopefully) - Iran - Azerbaijan - Georgia - Turkey - Greece - Albania - Montenegro - Bosnia and Herzegovina - Croatia - Slovenia - Italy - Switzerland - France - England - SCOTLAND.

I don't know how long it will take, I don't care either - I can make time
I don't know how much money it will cost, I don't care either - I can work
I don't know how to fix everything on my bike, I don't care either - I can learn
I know it will be cold - I can get warm
I know it will be hot - I can get cool
I know it is dangerous ACT; but, I know that 12 months ago sitting behind my Computer screen at work and thinking of reasons not to do this was a dangerous THOUGHT.

I am scared, yes. But, fight or flight has me in the ring!

I'm on here to communicate with fellow cyclists, learn from other users' insights, contribute my own thoughts and/or mistakes so others can learn, brainstorm route suggestions, discuss security situations, share photos and tips - integrate into a community of likeminded people.

I hope to see you out there!

Cheers,
Cal
Likes For CalumStenner:
Old 12-19-19, 09:26 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,588 Times in 3,778 Posts
Welcome. Quite the adventure!
Old 12-19-19, 08:47 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Welcome. I envy you making that trip.
Old 12-21-19, 07:59 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
Wow! Nice!

Old 12-21-19, 10:01 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I, too, am envious. I traveled a good bit of the world, but it was almost always for work, so, very little time for fun stuff. Good for you for living the dream. You only live once--truer words were never spoken. Carpe Diem!
Old 12-22-19, 09:21 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums. The trip with be epic.
Old 12-23-19, 05:32 PM
Borisb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome!

Have fun on your amazing trip!