Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

MUP or 4-Lane

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

MUP or 4-Lane

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-14, 06:37 PM
mrtuttle04

Bikes: Trek Verve 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
MUP or 4-Lane

Which would you rather ride on a busy MUP or a busy 4-lane road. This is a choice I face on one of the routes I ride regularly.
Old 06-02-14, 07:12 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,943 Times in 1,630 Posts
Originally Posted by mrtuttle04
Which would you rather ride on a busy MUP or a busy 4-lane road. This is a choice I face on one of the routes I ride regularly.
Each has advantages and drawbacks compared to the other. The decision would depend on the details. Ride each for a week or so, and decide.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-02-14, 07:14 PM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If there was a shoulder, the 4-laner. MUPs are worse than sidewalks to me
Old 06-02-14, 07:33 PM
B. Carfree

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I answered that one last week for myself. I needed to pick up some boards at a hardware store a couple of miles away. If I would have stayed on the bike path, I could have gotten within five blocks of the store. However, this sidepath-style bike path not only has several intersections, but one must yield to vehicles that are overtaking you and turning across your path. In addition to that, at several of the intersections they have moved the path route so that it is thirty feet up the cross street, so you can't even see the vehicles you are supposed to yield to. I chose to simply take the right lane the whole way. This was by far the safest and most pleasant way to go.

Two things to note. I was in California at the time. Had I been home in Oregon, which has a mandatory side-path law, I would not have been legally allowed to ride on the roadway. Also, those last five blocks will be undergoing a road diet this summer, so next time I won't be taking the lane for the entire trip since the that section of road will change from two lanes each way to bike lanes on both sides, one travel lane each way and a two-way left turn lane in the middle.
Old 06-02-14, 07:35 PM
NoviceJohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends how busy the 4-lane road is. Safety is always #1 . If 4 lane road is dangerous at certain times of the day, I would avoid it, suck it up and go on the MUP. In my area, the MUP is only busy on the weekends. During the weekdays, it's pretty much dead other than a few joggers here and there.
Old 06-03-14, 06:23 AM
Looigi

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Safety is always a tradeoff with desire, necessity, practicality, and expedience, otherwise you'd just stay home and ride your trainer in the basement. As others have said, the choice between the highway or mup would depend on a many specific factors and how you would weigh each one.
Old 06-03-14, 07:34 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
If judging by my locale, the busy 4 lane road......our local MUPs have poor lines of sight with peds that are unpredictable in their lane positioning on the MUP. As bad as the local motorists are, they are better at telegraphing their punches.
Old 06-03-14, 07:43 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I chose the MUP this weekend. Busy 4-lane to Lowe's or busy MUP to Home Depot. The 4-lane features highway ramps, some conflict choke points, high speed, hills - exciting. The MUP is a mile or two longer, slow but no stoplights. I was feeling laid back and went to Home Depot. It's usually a toss-up, nice to have a choice and we can follow our instincts.
Old 06-03-14, 08:13 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Originally Posted by wphamilton
...... or busy MUP to Home Depot.
....at least your MUP goes to a business district of sorts, rather than like ours that intersect with remote scenic outlooks. To even get to our MUPs, I have to negotiate several miles of busy roads and passing by several business districts in the process.
Old 06-03-14, 08:22 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
....at least your MUP goes to a business district of sorts, rather than like ours that intersect with remote scenic outlooks. To even get to our MUPs, I have to negotiate several miles of busy roads and passing by several business districts in the process.
When I moved last summer, the trail-head next to the apartment buildings was one factor so I tend to use the MUP more than otherwise would be the case. It not only exits to several business areas but also ends close to work.
Old 06-03-14, 08:25 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Originally Posted by wphamilton
When I moved last summer, the trail-head next to the apartment buildings was one factor so I tend to use the MUP more than otherwise would be the case. It not only exits to several business areas but also ends close to work.
A good "move" on your part.
Old 06-03-14, 08:38 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whichever option on which you feel safer. If it's prime jogging time and weather, I'd probably choose the road. Otherwise, I'd stick to the MUP.
Old 06-03-14, 09:00 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Time and day are significant factors, my start times at work change depending on day and work load. I don't use the local MUT for my commute, but 2/3 of it is on 4 lane roads, sometimes I take the lane in the sections with no bike lane, sometimes I use the sidewalk. It all depends on how heavy traffic is.
Old 06-03-14, 10:16 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,619 Times in 1,525 Posts
I'm extremely skilled at riding in heavy traffic on bad roads. But just because I can do it to doesn't mean I want to. As FB says, it depends on the details, but a path can be nice if it's safe and quiet and gets me where I'm going. I don't mind most idiots on paths, because the worst case scenario isn't so bad. I might collide with a bike or a body, but I'll probably survive that. I'm also good at predicting other people, so I'm pretty ready for most things. I haven't been at fault in a collision in a very long time.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-03-14, 10:24 AM
Keith99

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Depends on the user mix on each. And sometimes just how busy for the roadway. Busy streets get worse and worse until they suddenly get much better for cyclists. E.g. clogged to the point where cars cannot go fast.

Also it can be that one is better for 95% plus of the route, but one or 2 cross streets trump everything. That one can go either way. I've seen MUPs that are nice except for small sections where pedestrian traffic crosses and merges in unpredictable ways. Fortunately the worst spot is on a beach bike path and being reduced to a pedestrian on wheels is much less aggravating when the scenery is nice (and there is far less temptation to try to get through too fast).

OH and of course it makes a difference why you are riding. Commuting to work is different from just out for a spin. And if late for the former it becomes a no brainer unless the signal timing is exceptionally strange.
Old 06-03-14, 11:30 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
Depends on the user mix on each. And sometimes just how busy for the roadway. Busy streets get worse and worse until they suddenly get much better for cyclists. E.g. clogged to the point where cars cannot go fast.

Also it can be that one is better for 95% plus of the route, but one or 2 cross streets trump everything. That one can go either way. I've seen MUPs that are nice except for small sections where pedestrian traffic crosses and merges in unpredictable ways. Fortunately the worst spot is on a beach bike path and being reduced to a pedestrian on wheels is much less aggravating when the scenery is nice (and there is far less temptation to try to get through too fast).

OH and of course it makes a difference why you are riding. Commuting to work is different from just out for a spin. And if late for the former it becomes a no brainer unless the signal timing is exceptionally strange.
Pretty much this. My commute is 3 miles of neighborhood streets (most with a bike lane), 4 miles of MUP, 2 more miles of neighborhoods, and 2 miles of 4 lane highway with a pretty narrow, but usable (and usually rather gravel strewn) shoulder.

The MUP is pretty crowded on nice days, and there are a few blind corners that also happen to be under very dark bridges that I have learned to slow way down as I'm approaching. I occasionally have issues with the local traffic in the area by the school I pass by (usually parents not paying attention as they are looking to pick up their kids, and randomly stop in the road/bike lane...).

I might try the highway most of the way home some time, as it's got a good shoulder, sharrows or bikelanes the whole way, and there's only about 3 miles of it that's 55 mph, then it quickly drops to 40 mph or less.
Old 06-03-14, 11:46 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since I have a balance issue. The 15mph speed limit on a MUP, is not good for me. So I ride on the road, where I can ride faster. The speed limit on the roads around the county, are 15-45mph.
Old 06-04-14, 07:56 PM
mrtuttle04

Bikes: Trek Verve 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks everyone for your response. Most of the Pittsburgh Hertage Trail (40 miles of MUP) have adjacent two and four lane roads. I do make my decision on which to ride on a day-to-day basis. However, since a pedestrian ran me off the trail into a poll last fall, I tend to ride the roads more often. Also, this year, I have worked up to the point where I can maintain over 15 mph so staying on the roads reslove the speadding issue.