Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Site to report dangerous drivers

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Site to report dangerous drivers

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-20, 04:25 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
Too often, dangerous drivers are let off with inadequate penalties because it's their first time in court.

By reporting dangerous drivers, a record will exist of their dangerous activities. Should one of those drivers end up in court, their record would establish that the dangerous driver has a documented history of driving dangerously. This can lead to stiffer penalties, since the record will show a pattern of behavior, and it (hopefully) prevents a dangerous driver from being given leniency.
I didn't make any claims. I answered someone's question; they asked "why does this exist" and I basically recited the organization's mission statement. I was not saying I support their mission, nor was I saying that no one should support them. I was simply pointing out things as they are.
I didn't see a mission statement at the site...Since you are apparently citing it in some detail, can you point me toward it?

Last edited by Koyote; 09-02-20 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-02-20, 05:45 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I do NOT think it "unfortunate" that anonymous, unsubstantiated reports of "dangerous activity" gathered by a private, for profit, web site is inadmissible in court. I am glad that such likely tainted and biased so-called "evidence" is not considered at all in any legal proceeding.
I meant "unfortunately" in the sense of it's unfortunate for those who want to use that website as evidence in a court of law.
Old 09-02-20, 06:26 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Moved from "General"

AND

Several Off-Topic bickering type posts have been removed.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 09-02-20, 06:36 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Too often, dangerous drivers are let off with inadequate penalties because it's their first time in court.

By reporting dangerous drivers, a record will exist of their dangerous activities. Should one of those drivers end up in court, their record would establish that the dangerous driver has a documented history of driving dangerously. This can lead to stiffer penalties, since the record will show a pattern of behavior, and it (hopefully) prevents a dangerous driver from being given leniency.
... I don't think these "databases" are really helpful in any practical way.
Diametrically opposed.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 09-02-20, 06:55 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I didn't see a mission statement at the site...Since you are apparently citing it in some detail, can you point me toward it?
I was not citing anything. I was re-citing, from memory, the reasons given by a similar organization that popped up in my former community. OP's link is not the first organization I've seen that keeps databases of dangerous drivers. So, when someone asked why such a database exists, I spoke from experience to explain the rationale. I was not necessarily endorsing the practice, nor was I discrediting it.
Old 09-02-20, 06:57 PM
BoraxKid

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Diametrically opposed.
Not exactly. The databases are a good idea, for an ideal world. But in practice, they do not really work in our world. Maybe with better execution of the idea it could work, but I'm not really invested in it.
Old 09-02-20, 07:18 PM
Koyote

I was not citing anything. I was re-citing, from memory, the reasons given by a similar organization that popped up in my former community. OP's link is not the first organization I've seen that keeps databases of dangerous drivers. So, when someone asked why such a database exists, I spoke from experience to explain the rationale. I was not necessarily endorsing the practice, nor was I discrediting it.
So when you wrote in post #25 "I basically recited the organization's mission statement," you really meant "I basically recited some organization's mission statement." Sure, okay.

If you actually look at the website, it looks (from a cursory glance) like it's designed to redirect the user to a for-fee website that claims to provide info on a vehicle's owner - looked up with the plate number.

In other words, the website is not at all claiming to be for the purpose you assigned to it. Having that straight, up front, would have saved you some grief.

Last edited by Koyote; 09-02-20 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-02-20, 07:42 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
So when you wrote in post #25 "I basically recited the organization's mission statement," you really meant "I basically recited some organization's mission statement." Sure, okay.

If you actually look at the website, it looks (from a cursory glance) like it's designed to redirect the user to a for-fee website that claims to provide info on a vehicle's owner - looked up with the plate number.

In other words, the website is not at all claiming to be for the purpose you assigned to it. Having that straight, up front, would have saved you some grief.
My cursory look at the website referenced by the OP mentions reporting on dangerous drivers but does not seem to have any procedure for doing so. All it does is provide, for a price, info that is already on the public record for a specific license plate or VIN. Presumably this is not the place to post gossip, rumors, vendettas, or even real violations of traffic code that wouldbe McGruffs wish to "document." And of course gather, harvest, and sell all the personal data that the users of the website freely provide to them.
Old 09-02-20, 08:02 PM
njkayaker

Not exactly. The databases are a good idea, for an ideal world. But in practice, they do not really work in our world. Maybe with better execution of the idea it could work, but I'm not really invested in it.
You are just repeating diametrically opposed things.

The "ideal world" doesn't exist.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-02-20 at 10:52 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 09-02-20, 08:05 PM
njkayaker

I didn't make any claims. I answered someone's question; they asked "why does this exist" and I basically recited the organization's mission statement. I was not saying I support their mission, nor was I saying that no one should support them. I was simply pointing out things as they are.
Calm down. It's not my website, and I'm not the one advocating for it. Someone asked the question "why does this exist?" and I gave the reason why. Why are you so defensive?
​​​​​​​
You aren't making sense. People pointed that out and you got defensive.
​​​​​​​
My cursory look at the website referenced by the OP mentions reporting on dangerous drivers but does not seem to have any procedure for doing so. All it does is provide, for a price, info that is already on the public record for a specific license plate or VIN. Presumably this is not the place to post gossip, rumors, vendettas, or even real violations of traffic code that wouldbe McGruffs wish to "document." And of course gather, harvest, and sell all the personal data that the users of the website freely provide to them.
There's the reason they exist.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-02-20 at 08:13 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 09-02-20, 09:44 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
First off, there is precedent that establishing prior behavior of a driver was considered by prosecutors. The Dr. Thompson case in Mandeville Canyon has had a high profile. https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...sentenced.html From that article: "Prosecutors said Thompson had a history of run-ins with bike riders, including a similar episode four months before the crash when two cyclists told police that the doctor tried to run them off the road and braked suddenly in front of them. Neither of the riders was injured."

It does appear that https://closecalldatabase.com/ is down; it has been that way for at least a couple of weeks. It provided a fairly complete set of fields. I don't know if any of the incidents posted were ever part of the chain of events that improved the behavior of a driver.

My cursory look at the website referenced by the OP mentions reporting on dangerous drivers but does not seem to have any procedure for doing so....
I test-drove "findbyplate.com" and it allows you to add a comment for a particular tag number. You have to enter your name and email. There is a drop-down menu for classification and it includes such options as "Safe Driver", "Dangerous Driver", "Amber Alert", and so on. There is then a field for a comment. I didn't try it, but it appears you can upload a photo or video file that will be associated with that tag number.

I think I used "close call" two or three times, always for clearly intentional, aggressive and dangerous actions with the license plate number established. I knew the odds of it helping to improve a driver's behavior was probably Powerball odds... but heck, I've bought 3 Powerball tickets in my life... so I do irrational things at times...

I have never tried calling 911 for a "close call". My experience with 911 on real problems has been so poor that I don't know if I want to go through it for a "close call"... well, I guess I'll have to if it is clearly way out of line.....

Last edited by flangehead; 09-02-20 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Clarify.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 09-02-20, 10:56 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by flangehead
First off, there is precedent that establishing prior behavior of a driver was considered by prosecutors. The Dr. Thompson case in Mandeville Canyon has had a high profile. https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...sentenced.html From that article: "Prosecutors said Thompson had a history of run-ins with bike riders, including a similar episode four months before the crash when two cyclists told police that the doctor tried to run them off the road and braked suddenly in front of them. Neither of the riders was injured."
???

From these sorts of websites??

No one is claiming that prior behavior wasn't considered.

But it doesn't seem these websites would be used in court for that.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-03-20 at 07:21 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 09-03-20, 05:57 AM
Koyote

I read the article you linked. The “prior behavior“ that was taken into account by the court was from an incident that resulted in a police report… Nothing was pulled from some random website. So, again, the point: if you feel the need to establish some record of poor driving, contacting the police is your best bet. Perhaps not perfect, but the best bet.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-03-20, 07:00 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10956 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
This seems quite different from the scenario being discussed. The scenario being discussed if placed into that article would read-
"Prosecutors said Thompson had a history of run-ins with bike riders, including a similar episode four months before the crash when two cyclists declared on an anonymous forum, which has no legal standing or procedure, that the doctor tried to run them off the road and braked suddenly in front of them. Neither of the riders was injured."
Old 09-03-20, 08:13 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
The idea is that these organizations spend some time monitoring court cases so they are aware of when someone from their database is in court for something major. Then, the reporting group alerts the prosecutor(s) to the information they have. In an ideal world, the prosecution would be motivated to do the right thing and make sure justice is served against the dangerous driver....
Maybe Dateline NBC can send in Chris Hanson and his team to monitor the database and link up the entries with active court cases....
Old 09-03-20, 11:02 AM
BoraxKid

You are just repeating diametrically opposed things.

The "ideal world" doesn't exist.
You seem to be missing the concept at play. Something can be a good idea in theory only and that same something might be impractical to put into practice. Nothing I said was "diametrically opposed."

I indicated that I thought these dangerous driver reporting sites are, generally, trying to accomplish something good: they seek to help people with legitimate criminal complaints seek justice against those that harmed them. However, in practice, because of the myriad of technical and logistical challenges that exist in our non-ideal world, these same sites do not do a very good job at what they are attempting. Hence, I can support the idea of a reporting site, while acknowledging that none so far have done a very good job of turning their good idea into good action.
Old 09-03-20, 11:07 AM
BoraxKid

Yes, that was probably a poor choice of words on my part; my bad. I did not care enough to follow OP's link. I just read OP's post and inferred what the purpose of the "dangerous driver" reporting website is, based on my personal experience having seen several such organizations before. It seems like I was mis-informed by OP's description.
Old 09-03-20, 11:11 AM
njkayaker

... I don't think these "databases" are really helpful in any practical way.
You are contradicting yourself.

The records from these websites won't "lead to stiffer penalties" because they don't appear to be admissible in court.

There is also no mention of an "ideal world".

You seem to be missing the concept at play. Something can be a good idea in theory only and that same something might be impractical to put into practice. Nothing I said was "diametrically opposed."
You are moving the goal posts. Your first comment about it didn't mention it being "a good idea in theory".

Isn't the hole you are digging deep enough?

Why are you so defensive?

An "ideal world" is opposed to the real one. If it's "impractical to put into practice", then it's pointless to put into practice.

I indicated that I thought these dangerous driver reporting sites are, generally, trying to accomplish something good: they seek to help people with legitimate criminal complaints seek justice against those that harmed them.
??? How?

It appears the only practical purpose of these sorts of sites is as an outlet for frustration or a desire for revenge.

However, in practice, because of the myriad of technical and logistical challenges that exist in our non-ideal world, these same sites do not do a very good job at what they are attempting. Hence, I can support the idea of a reporting site, while acknowledging that none so far have done a very good job of turning their good idea into good action.
With all the practical difficulties making it work, what purpose does supporting an idea that only works in an ideal world serve?

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-03-20 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-03-20, 11:57 AM
BoraxKid

The records from these websites won't "lead to stiffer penalties" because they don't appear to be admissible in court.

You are moving the goal posts. Your first comment about it didn't mention it being "a good idea in theory".

An "ideal world" is opposed to the real one. If it's "impractical to put into practice", then it's pointless to put into practice.

??? How?

It appears the only practical purpose of these sorts of sites is as an outlet for frustration or a desire for revenge.

With all the practical difficulties making it work, what purpose does supporting an idea serve?
Listen, I don't know why you are being so difficult here, but I hope you can calm down and be a little less hysterical. I have explained myself thoroughly enough, and yet you seem intent on extending whatever this pseudo-conflict is. I'm not going to re-explain myself. If you don't understand what I posted, that's your burden to bear from now on. Good luck.
Old 09-03-20, 12:18 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

??? How?

With all the practical difficulties making it work, what purpose does supporting an idea that only works in an ideal world serve?
The "good idea" in question is fine for those who think an "ideal world" would include a justice system that allowed guilt to be determined by unsubstantiated gossip, rumors and vendettas volunteered by anonymous informers and would-be vigilantes.

The web site in question also appears to also have the practical purpose of extracting money from those who are "curious" for whatever reasons, about the identity of specific motorists, as well as being an outlet for frustrated or vengeful snitches.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 09-03-20, 12:30 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
While it seems that CloseCalls website may be down, there is a site that is a "Find by Plate Number" type that does have a section to report dangerous drivers. At least there can be some record and narrative if needed in the future.
https://findbyplate.com/US/GA/QBI8442/add-report/
Originally Posted by sarhog
What do you hope to accomplish by “reporting” dangerous drivers to a website such as this?
​​​​​​​Perhaps the OP might chime in with what he hopes to accomplish by “reporting” dangerous drivers to a website such as this?
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 09-03-20, 02:02 PM
Milton Keynes

The major difference is that the prosecutors were apparently taking reports filed with the police department by cyclists instead of taking information from a website. And that's a huge difference. Those cyclists were prepared to file a report and go on public record as complainants in that incident, which could potentially be used in court since the court could call them as witnesses. This is vastly different from semi- or fully anonymous reports posted to a website, of which there's no way to validate said reports. Anyone with an account could log in and file a false bad driver report on anyone who just happened to peeve them off that day. And that's why websites like that should never be considered in a court of law, only actual complaints filed with the police.
Old 09-03-20, 02:18 PM
Milton Keynes

I test-drove "findbyplate.com" and it allows you to add a comment for a particular tag number. You have to enter your name and email. There is a drop-down menu for classification and it includes such options as "Safe Driver", "Dangerous Driver", "Amber Alert", and so on. There is then a field for a comment. I didn't try it, but it appears you can upload a photo or video file that will be associated with that tag number.
Just because they require a name and email address doesn't give it any sort of authenticity. It's very easy to think up a fake name and use a throwaway email address. How would you feel if you were pulled over by the police and dragged out of your car at gunpoint because someone entered a fake Amber Alert for your car on a website? In a world where "swatting" is a thing, it could possibly happen.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-03-20, 06:03 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Perhaps the OP might chime in with what he hopes to accomplish by “reporting” dangerous drivers to a website such as this?
And let’s not forget that reporting a plate is not necessarily reporting the operator of the vehicle. Three different people used to drive my first car.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-03-20, 06:07 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
How would you feel if you were pulled over by the police and dragged out of your car at gunpoint because someone entered a fake Amber Alert for your car on a website?.
He’d probably change his tune. Many people are quick to support things until something goes wrong and they suffer the ill effects.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.