Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Too Many Irresponsible Cagers

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 08-12-19, 04:44 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts

In Michigan the passing law that went into effect earlier this year is 3 feet. When passing a person on a bicycle, give them no less than 3 feet clearance. When it passed I scoffed at it and remarked to my wife, "So what? Have these nitwits in government nothing more productive to do? Do they think this will change anything?"

On a 60 mile ride Sunday, only a handful of vehicles provided me the courtesy of 3 feet. Most just buzzed me without concern. Several squeezed me by passing at the same time an oncoming vehicle was going by, which naturally prompts them a little closer to the right shoulder of the road, right where the bicycle and I are traveling.

The more I have to deal with people, the more I dislike them. Rude and irresponsible, and they really don't give a crap.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 08-12-19, 04:50 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
Unless it's enforced by the local law enforcement, it'll always be like that.
Old 08-12-19, 05:28 PM
PickleRick

Bikes: Felt Z4, Trek Remedy 9.8, Pivot 429SL Di2, Salsa Warbird Di2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Here in central NY folks are, in general, pretty courteous. There is the occasional close pass but, overall, drivers will give you a wide berth. I've also had good experiences on road tours in Virginia and Vermont.
.....so there is some hope.
Old 08-12-19, 05:38 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
When it passed I scoffed at it and remarked to my wife, "So what? Have these nitwits in government nothing more productive to do? Do they think this will change anything?"
Several years ago, our nitwits in TN took time off from fondling their fetus totems and Confederate artifacts to pass a 3 foot law. If anyone has ever been charged, I've not heard of it.
Old 08-12-19, 06:00 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Nothing comes of it because there is no way to enforce it. Just a joke of a law to make some lobbyists feel good. Until the hearts of mankind are changed, we will live in turmoil at the edge of the road.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 08-12-19, 06:05 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
3 feet from the bumper, tire, mirror?

3 feet to a driver is closer than 3 feet to the rider. I would like more than 3 feet if possible but by naming this distance drivers may be thinking that they can actually pass closer than they previously thought

3 feet is enough to stay within the lane and still pass. I would like drivers to go into the other lane just a little as I hug the right tire track
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 08-12-19, 06:14 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,545 Times in 3,757 Posts
I'm a member of the Kalamazoo Bike Club. Our club was instrumental in getting this law passed. Having 9 of our friends get hit, and having 5 of them killed, made this a club priority. We tried to get the state to approve a 5 foot clearance but had to settle for 3.

Some local jurisdictions have passed a 5 foot law and some would approve only a 3 foot. I feel that this law has improved things on this side of the state. Yes, I have been buzzed recently on a ride, so there are still knuckleheads out here, as well.

Our club purchased "5 Feet" signs and have given many of them away. Numerous club members and their families have installed them in their front yards. Also, our local government have installed numerous roadside signs.

Old 08-12-19, 06:45 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
In Michigan the passing law that went into effect earlier this year is 3 feet. When passing a person on a bicycle, give them no less than 3 feet clearance. When it passed I scoffed at it and remarked to my wife, "So what? Have these nitwits in government nothing more productive to do? Do they think this will change anything?"

On a 60 mile ride Sunday, only a handful of vehicles provided me the courtesy of 3 feet. Most just buzzed me without concern. Several squeezed me by passing at the same time an oncoming vehicle was going by, which naturally prompts them a little closer to the right shoulder of the road, right where the bicycle and I are traveling.

The more I have to deal with people, the more I dislike them. Rude and irresponsible, and they really don't give a crap.
Originally Posted by Troul
Unless it's enforced by the local law enforcement, it'll always be like that.
Yes, that applies to everything including

stopping at stop signs instead of just slowing down and rolling through;

stopping at red lights to turn right instead of just slowing down and rolling through;

stopping for pedestrians to completely get off the cross walk instead of racing them through the intersection;

driving no faster than the maximum speed posted.

It goes on and on.

You can do the enforcement yourself. As many have posted in other threads either take the lane or carry a 3 ft pool noodle.
Old 08-12-19, 06:54 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
They could pass a 30 foot law and it wouldn’t mean a thing unless enforced!

Politicians love passing feel good laws that they can then use to stand before the electorate to show they are “taking action”. Passing the law costs virtually nothing and earns them political brownie points. But it costs money to enforce the law. So if the law is unenforceable or there is no budget to enforce it it is meaningless.

But as responsible bike bike riders we should also remember that traffic laws apply to us and shouldn’t be ignoring them just because of lack of enforcement.
Old 08-12-19, 07:09 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Scottsdale, Az.

Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-12-19, 07:23 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Nothing comes of it because there is no way to enforce it. Just a joke of a law to make some lobbyists feel good. Until the hearts of mankind are changed, we will live in turmoil at the edge of the road.
I somewhat agree. However, after the 3' law passed in Michigan I did notice more vehicles giving more ground than than they had prior to the law. In some cases, extremely so. Personally, five feet, great, but not realistic universally state-wide based on local infrastructure.
Old 08-12-19, 07:45 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Law passing w/o mass media education is just a politico's game. Two vehicles are forbidden, side by side, in one lane. Enforce THAT and the rest is unnecessary.

For me, it's all negligent to intentional assault to homicide. Gun and cars are weapons... their (mis-)useage in this country costs more lives (0/2/4 legged) than truly countable....
Old 08-12-19, 07:54 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Law passing w/o mass media education is just a politico's game. Two vehicles are forbidden, side by side, in one lane. Enforce THAT and the rest is unnecessary.

For me, it's all negligent to intentional assault to homicide. Gun and cars are weapons... their (mis-)useage in this country costs more lives (0/2/4 legged) than truly countable.... ::
Depends on how big one "lane" is. In these parts all lanes on virtually all road-lanes are barely bigger than the vehicles that drive on them. Also virtually no roads have shoulders-paved or soft.
Old 08-12-19, 08:31 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Here's how to enforce new traffic laws without much extra cost.

When a driver renews his vehicle plates or his licence, distribute information pamphlets new laws passed since the last renewal. And then make him take an oath swearing on the Bible and the national flag to abide by the new laws. What American will break his oath to the flag?
Old 08-12-19, 08:37 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Here's how to enforce new traffic laws without much extra cost.

When a driver renews his vehicle plates or his licence, distribute information pamphlets new laws passed since the last renewal. And then make him take an oath swearing on the Bible and the national flag to abide by the new laws. What American will break his oath to the flag?
All of them...everyone always will defend their lead-footed reckless driving with justifications about why traffic law doesn't apply to them.
Old 08-12-19, 08:42 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
All things considered, I'd rather have the law then not.

This thread should be moved to the advocacy forum where disproportionate rage and misinformation about what the law actually says is the norm.
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 08-12-19, 09:51 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I disagree with the thought that there is no effect without rigorous enforcement.

It takes a while for behaviors to change, but over time, they do.

Maybe you used to throw trash out the car window, & now you don't, but probably never got a citation.

In my (norcal) area, I think it's partly a numbers thing- you could angrily buzz the few cyclists, but now there's too many.
Old 08-13-19, 05:10 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
A number of years ago, New York, along with other states passed laws that drivers must move left if there's a police, first responder, maintenance or other service vehicle on the side of the road. It's to prevent them from getting hit. Most people do not move over and police officers are still getting hit.

If they won't give a cop room, why would they do it for you?
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-13-19, 05:11 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
In CT we also have a 3-ft law. Maybe it's just luck but it's rare that car drivers don't give me at least 3-ft. I've been riding in this same area for about 40 years and I don't have a problem with 99% of the cars/trucks on the road.
Old 08-13-19, 05:34 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Laws won't trump culture and road design. Culture goes to your comment about heart. What are we teaching our young people in driver's ed classes about cycling? Are we reinforcing those teachings in the culture and at home? Road design is a tough one, because so much of our infrastructure is not bike- and pedestrian friendly and it is cost-prohibitive to rebuild infrastructure.
Likes For JonathanGennick:
Old 08-13-19, 05:46 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
In Michigan the passing law that went into effect earlier this year is 3 feet.
Only this year? Wonder how many people even know about the law. PA passed its 4' law back in 2012. Yep. 4'. A couple of years ago a bike club in the most affluent county in the state, which borders Philly, wanted to start a campaign to educate drivers. Members contacted the county sheriff. Guess what. Even he didn't know the law existed. He held several press conferences to educate the public. His office also paid for 300 campaign-style signs that were placed along roads that are popular with cyclists.

Give it time. Better yet, become an advocate. Having toured across PA three times since the law was passed I think it has had an impact.

OBTM
Old 08-13-19, 05:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I disagree with the thought that there is no effect without rigorous enforcement.

It takes a while for behaviors to change, but over time, they do.

Maybe you used to throw trash out the car window, & now you don't, but probably never got a citation.

In my (norcal) area, I think it's partly a numbers thing- you could angrily buzz the few cyclists, but now there's too many.
+1. See my post immediately above.
Old 08-13-19, 06:18 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
....The more I have to deal with people, the more I dislike them. Rude and irresponsible, and they really don't give a crap.

Plus je connais les hommes, plus j’aime les chiens. Truth!
Old 08-13-19, 06:40 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
This is to give cred to the OP, not discredit, but I don't think this conversation is ever complete without experiences people have had outside of the US.

I've ridden in Europe (not UK), and despite the bad apple or two it is lightyears better there.

It's even better driving, to me. Commercial drivers seem infinitely more responsible. People in the countries that follow cycling as a sport are very friendly to riders.

Penalties in the US for traffic crime just aren't sufficient as deterrents. We're too wealthy a country for most infractions to really make you think about not doing it, prison or fines.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-13-19, 07:12 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts

If a car is squeezing by you while an oncoming vehicle goes by you in the other direction, you are too far to the right. Pretty simple fix- move further left.
View yourself as a slow moving vehicle that is respectful of others while still maintaining your rightful place on the road. Move to the right tire dent on the road so there isnt enough room for a vehicle to pass you when oncoming traffic is passing by. And then be cognizant of traffic building up behind you when they cant pass due to road conditions, and move off the road to release the build-up of trailing traffic.

The above suggestion may make some people lose their minds and claim that its unsafe to pull off and let traffic pass or whatever other issue they can take with the suggestion- but I am not suggesting everyone do it, just those who are afraid of being buzzed and clipped and are in areas where vehicles dont respect giving 3', it could help to move over every once in awhile. Or find different routes.

Central Iowa is fantastic, I think. The rural county highways offer some excellent riding- good pavement, rolling hills, and vehicles that typically pass all the way in the other lane. If I were continually buzzed by vehicles closer than 3', I would probably move towards using the extensive paved trail network more, or ride gravel even more often.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.