Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Is Wout van Aert a crybaby?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-20, 04:25 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts

Seems as if he complains far more than most...

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...won-472303/amp
Old 10-12-20, 01:41 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
probably, but if you dig enough, you can frequently find similar sentiments from every race from many riders that thought they had what it took to win that day but got hornswaggled
by a crash or two, veering into their path (but unnoriced/unenforced, someone not pulling through or contributing on a breakaway, or someone just wheelsucking *** laude,
ensuring neither of them wins and playing mind games (that apparently seems to work too well too often). we're not always privvy to team orders or personal conflicts or road rage.

of course, the dark side of this would be a rival team/opponent or wealthy backer of a team slipping a rider serious cashish to ensure rider x from
team y doesn't win. oh, btw, my radio wasn't working properly here and there. hey, it's 2020. i'd really like to say that would be impossible but if this year has proven anything...

**edit...either my latin is substandard (likely...that darned summer latin course in college. declensions for $$/beers anyone?) or i've engaged the indefatigable censor. maybe both.

Last edited by diphthong; 10-12-20 at 01:58 AM.
Old 10-12-20, 07:28 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke

YES....I think he does. There are always a few "whiners" in the racing world and I feel is one no.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 10-14-20, 02:47 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Nah, he just seems like one of hundreds of serious competitors who sometimes crack a bit under the media spotlight. It's been an extraordinarily difficult year for everyone.

I always admired Greg LeMond, and followed his career from the time he was a teenager gaining attention from the cycling press. The flaw in his armor was that he did occasionally come across as a bit petulant. At the time I didn't realize how much he was up against, often lacking a solid team. That same personality quirk that could come across as petulance during interviews also made him a flexible ad hoc peloton boss in races where he'd cajole, encourage, badger and demand other riders to work harder in breakaways and to make things happen.

It's easy to admire the laid back fellows like Indurain, but those personality types don't often make things happen with the same flexibility as the more fiery temperaments when things fall apart with the team or conditions. That's also why I'm still a bit doubtful about whether Egan Bernal has the temperament for consistent success. He just seems too darned nice.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-14-20, 06:53 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Originally Posted by canklecat
Nah, he just seems like one of hundreds of serious competitors who sometimes crack a bit under the media spotlight. It's been an extraordinarily difficult year for everyone.

I always admired Greg LeMond, and followed his career from the time he was a teenager gaining attention from the cycling press. The flaw in his armor was that he did occasionally come across as a bit petulant. At the time I didn't realize how much he was up against, often lacking a solid team. That same personality quirk that could come across as petulance during interviews also made him a flexible ad hoc peloton boss in races where he'd cajole, encourage, badger and demand other riders to work harder in breakaways and to make things happen.

It's easy to admire the laid back fellows like Indurain, but those personality types don't often make things happen with the same flexibility as the more fiery temperaments when things fall apart with the team or conditions. That's also why I'm still a bit doubtful about whether Egan Bernal has the temperament for consistent success. He just seems too darned nice.
It all comes down to... if you like someone or not. If so, they are "speaking their mind." If not, they are a "crybaby."
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 10-20-20, 01:16 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
It all comes down to... if you like someone or not. If so, they are "speaking their mind." If not, they are a "crybaby."
Some do complain more than others though.
Old 10-20-20, 01:22 PM
hrdknox1

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...won-472303/amp
They went head to head in the sprint and he gave it his utmost, but Vander Poel was better. It is hard to accept defeat after you give it your all.
Old 10-20-20, 01:41 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 472 Posts
I felt bad for Roglic after his TT demise when Wout commented that watching Roglic's performance "made his eyes hurt"
Old 10-20-20, 01:54 PM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by hrdknox1
They went head to head in the sprint and he gave it his utmost, but Vander Poel was better. It is hard to accept defeat after you give it your all.
This thread and that article was way before the Tour of Flanders race which MVDP won, which you're referring to.
Old 10-20-20, 02:20 PM
hrdknox1

This thread and that article was way before the Tour of Flanders race which MVDP won, which you're referring to.
Tour of Flanders.