Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Old 02-09-20, 09:11 PM
  #4926  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,233

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3441 Post(s)
Liked 988 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
I finally put a front brake on the commuter. Dunno why I waited so long, it's not like I had some WhyFi-esque ordeal to endure...

What’s with the upside down aero extension?
MoAlpha is online now  
Old 02-09-20, 09:15 PM
  #4927  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 47,400

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7362 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
... at a premium price too, am I right?
Sure. But someone else was buying the drinks, so it wasn't all bad.
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 02-09-20, 09:38 PM
  #4928  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 33,869

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
What’s with the upside down aero extension?
I used that for a couple of bike camping trips. Sleeping back underneath it, hydration pack on top.
LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Old 02-09-20, 09:46 PM
  #4929  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 33,869

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
I used that for a couple of bike camping trips. Sleeping back underneath it, hydration pack on top.
Looks like on this run I had sleeping pad, tent and tarp under aero bars...

LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 02-10-20, 07:08 AM
  #4930  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 18,314

Bikes: Giant Propel, Gianni Motta, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, Garneau Steeple X

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7215 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 348 Posts
I’m trying to come out of hibernation this morning. Haven’t ridden in three days so today is one of those “have to” days even though it will hardly be above freezing and dreary as Hell.

Oh, well, I know I’ll feel great afterwards.

So, where is everyone this AM?
__________________
Dennis T

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I can't believe the ignorance out there. - An Anonymous Addictionite.

Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 02-10-20, 07:10 AM
  #4931  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,233

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3441 Post(s)
Liked 988 Times in 568 Posts
Back and hip are finally feeling better after I got serious and did a solid weekend of heat and mechanical treatment. Hope to up my puny weight on the deads and squats today.

We will have three pretty solid days of cold rain here, so all miles will be fake.
MoAlpha is online now  
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 02-10-20, 07:13 AM
  #4932  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 35,637

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 613 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12481 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
today is one of those “have to” days even though it will hardly be above freezing and dreary as Hell.
It's raining.
__________________
Velo Vol is online now  
Old 02-10-20, 07:16 AM
  #4933  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 31,617

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11512 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 598 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
So, where is everyone this AM?
Working. Sigh.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 02-10-20, 07:25 AM
  #4934  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 1,524

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 716, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
I’m trying to come out of hibernation this morning. Haven’t ridden in three days so today is one of those “have to” days even though it will hardly be above freezing and dreary as Hell.
I did not pay much attention to the weather over the weekend. Saturday was sunny and in the low 30s with light winds.

Sunday we got 3 inches of snow and winds were gusting up into the 20s.

I should have ridden on Saturday, but for whatever reason just didn't go. Now I'm regretting it. May have to take advantage of today and tomorrow before that nasty cold front blows in on Wednesday/Thursday

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
So, where is everyone this AM?
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Working. Sigh.
Ditto
abshipp is online now  
Old 02-10-20, 07:53 AM
  #4935  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 26,087
Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10888 Post(s)
Liked 2,421 Times in 1,368 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
It's raining.
Same here. So much mosture in the atmosphere.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 02-10-20, 08:07 AM
  #4936  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 28,700

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 335 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12011 Post(s)
Liked 1,805 Times in 970 Posts
I got my bars wrapped last night. Unfortunately, it was a learning experience - first time with aero handlebars (deciding where and how to end), first time with perforated tape (couldn't flip the rotation at the lever, as I usually would, because perfs don't cover the full width of the tape/there are overlap and reveal sides) and first time with this tape (Bontrager Grippytack, which feels great but doesn't stretch too much). Oh well, I'll do better next time.

WhyFi is online now  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-10-20, 08:11 AM
  #4937  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: hampton roads
Posts: 1,016

Bikes: Cervélo C2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 152 Posts
just completed another 19.7 for metalfan. I got baby duty today, so between wiping snot and changing diapers I have to study and I think I’m gunna start looking at group sets. Realistically I’m gunna be on the Caad longer than I would hope, but being out of work for 11 months put us in a hole that will take a while to get back on top of. So with that being said, I need to take care of what I have. Im
bampilot06 is online now  
Old 02-10-20, 08:18 AM
  #4938  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 28,700

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 335 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12011 Post(s)
Liked 1,805 Times in 970 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
just completed another 19.7 for metalfan. I got baby duty today, so between wiping snot and changing diapers I have to study and I think I’m gunna start looking at group sets. Realistically I’m gunna be on the Caad longer than I would hope, but being out of work for 11 months put us in a hole that will take a while to get back on top of. So with that being said, I need to take care of what I have.
Ain't no shame - the CAAD will do just fine. If you are going to look at upgrading groupsets to 11-speed (105 or better) just be aware that you'll probably need a new wheelset, too - a lot of hubs more than 8-10 years old don't have the room to support 11-speed cassettes. That said, modern groups are wonderful and the shifting, particularly up front, will be a big improvement over what you're used to. If you upgrade but stay 10-speed (Sora), you might be able to keep your wheels... but check with the wrenches here before taking my word on it.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 02-10-20, 08:31 AM
  #4939  
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent
 
WalksOn2Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 5,510

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
I was super close to upgrading to a newer 105 group, but decided it didn't make sense to throw more money at the bike because it worked fine and I wanted to do a disc build anyway. Then in a strange turn of events, a guy responded to a FB marketplace ad I had up for a guitar and offered a trade for an amp. I don't need another amp, but when he noticed the bike in my profile picture (It's actually just a bike) he offered an r8000 hydraulic group. Turns out we crossed paths and also worked at the same bike shop in Dallas, but at different times so we have a bunch of mutual friends. The group is a brand new take off because he went straight to SRAM eTap building the bike up out of the box. So yeah, that could be an awesome step towards the next bike. Now all I need is a frame. And wheels. And bars. And a seat. Ok, maybe one of everything except a stem.
WalksOn2Wheels is offline  
Likes For WalksOn2Wheels:
Old 02-10-20, 08:34 AM
  #4940  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 31,617

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11512 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 598 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I got my bars wrapped last night. Unfortunately, it was a learning experience - first time with aero handlebars (deciding where and how to end), first time with perforated tape (couldn't flip the rotation at the lever, as I usually would, because perfs don't cover the full width of the tape/there are overlap and reveal sides) and first time with this tape (Bontrager Grippytack, which feels great but doesn't stretch too much). Oh well, I'll do better next time.

Looks ok to me. But did you use the magical silicone tape at the end??
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-10-20, 08:43 AM
  #4941  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: hampton roads
Posts: 1,016

Bikes: Cervélo C2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Ain't no shame - the CAAD will do just fine. If you are going to look at upgrading groupsets to 11-speed (105 or better) just be aware that you'll probably need a new wheelset, too - a lot of hubs more than 8-10 years old don't have the room to support 11-speed cassettes. That said, modern groups are wonderful and the shifting, particularly up front, will be a big improvement over what you're used to. If you upgrade but stay 10-speed (Sora), you might be able to keep your wheels... but check with the wrenches here before taking my word on it.



This is my rear wheel, not sure if 11 speed will work or not, but it is new.
My thought process is this. I know I am on borrowed time with my cassette and chain rings, I actually surprised my chain doesn’t skip on a regular basis being that I am almost positive it’s the original cassette and chain rings. I just replaced the chain, and the one that was on the bike was worn beyond belief. My shifters are also on borrowed time, I have to wd40 the rear shifter weekly. So If I replace the cassette, chain rings and shifters that would prolly be close to a group set?

I think if I do this I’m going to look at 105, I guess my question do they come partial? My cranks seem fine and I am still considering PM route, so I don’t want to pay for something I am not going to use, also my brakes work great. Can I save money by not purchasing breaks with the groupset?
bampilot06 is online now  
Old 02-10-20, 08:43 AM
  #4942  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 28,700

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 335 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12011 Post(s)
Liked 1,805 Times in 970 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Looks ok to me. But did you use the magical silicone tape at the end??
I did but, because of the aforementioned new challenges, the tape wasn't quite enough to get the job done. I had to supplement with electrical tape. The horror.

Actually, the finish tape provided was on the 'wut' side of things. It was very stretchy and sticky (both good) but also about half the width of the bar tape (wut) and thin (with this thicker bar tape, tape-to-bar transition was not graceful).
WhyFi is online now  
Old 02-10-20, 08:46 AM
  #4943  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 47,400

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7362 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
I don't reverse at the hoods.
And I don't figure-eight around the levers.
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 02-10-20, 08:46 AM
  #4944  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 28,700

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 335 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12011 Post(s)
Liked 1,805 Times in 970 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post


This is my rear wheel, not sure if 11 speed will work or not, but it is new.
My thought process is this. I know I am on borrowed time with my cassette and chain rings, I actually surprised my chain doesn’t skip on a regular basis being that I am almost positive it’s the original cassette and chain rings. I just replaced the chain, and the one that was on the bike was worn beyond belief. My shifters are also on borrowed time, I have to wd40 the rear shifter weekly. So If I replace the cassette, chain rings and shifters that would prolly be close to a group set?

I think if I do this I’m going to look at 105, I guess my question do they come partial? My cranks seem fine and I am still considering PM route, so I don’t want to pay for something I am not going to use, also my brakes work great. Can I save money by not purchasing breaks with the groupset?
You can go piecemeal, for sure. BUT! Braking is another area that's hugely improved. Poke around Merlin - they have the best prices on Shimano right now (and they might be violating dealer agreements by shipping to the US).
WhyFi is online now  
Old 02-10-20, 08:47 AM
  #4945  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 31,617

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11512 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 598 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I did but, because of the aforementioned new challenges, the tape wasn't quite enough to get the job done. I had to supplement with electrical tape. The horror.

Actually, the finish tape provided was on the 'wut' side of things. It was very stretchy and sticky (both good) but also about half the width of the bar tape (wut) and thin (with this thicker bar tape, tape-to-bar transition was not graceful).
Don't tell MoAlpha about the tape. He may have a seizure.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 02-10-20, 08:47 AM
  #4946  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 47,400

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7362 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
It's raining.
Same.
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 02-10-20, 08:47 AM
  #4947  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 28,700

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 335 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12011 Post(s)
Liked 1,805 Times in 970 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels View Post
I was super close to upgrading to a newer 105 group, but decided it didn't make sense to throw more money at the bike because it worked fine and I wanted to do a disc build anyway. Then in a strange turn of events, a guy responded to a FB marketplace ad I had up for a guitar and offered a trade for an amp. I don't need another amp, but when he noticed the bike in my profile picture (It's actually just a bike) he offered an r8000 hydraulic group. Turns out we crossed paths and also worked at the same bike shop in Dallas, but at different times so we have a bunch of mutual friends. The group is a brand new take off because he went straight to SRAM eTap building the bike up out of the box. So yeah, that could be an awesome step towards the next bike. Now all I need is a frame. And wheels. And bars. And a seat. Ok, maybe one of everything except a stem.
Full group? That's awesome.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 02-10-20, 08:48 AM
  #4948  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 47,400

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7362 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Working. Sigh.
Same
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 02-10-20, 08:48 AM
  #4949  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 31,617

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11512 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 598 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
It's raining.
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Same.
Ditto.

Rainy days and Mondays always get me down.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-10-20, 08:56 AM
  #4950  
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent
 
WalksOn2Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 5,510

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Full group? That's awesome.
It's not a done deal just yet, but I imagine if he went to SRAM, then it should be a full group. Still waiting on full details.
WalksOn2Wheels is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.