Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Baby aspirin?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-20, 01:27 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Baby aspirin?

I've been on it now for a week and wondered if it worked. Well, I confirmed that when I was helping a gal fix a flat tire. I found a very small piece of glass in her tire's casing and it pricked me when I picked it out. I started dripping blood on her tire, tube, all over my fingers. It finally stopped with direct pressure. I was surprised how slow it clotted. What's your experience?

On a funny note, I found out she's a nurse and probably had blood-borne disease concerns. I apologized for bleeding on her tire and tube and told her I was HIV and Hep negative, had been faithfully married for 21 years, never shot up drugs, never had a blood transfusion, etc.
Old 02-28-20, 02:13 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Ya. Maybe there IS a little more blood when I bust a knuckle or a rose bush gets the best of me while doing yard work.
Old 02-28-20, 03:52 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I've been taking it for a long time. I have noticed a small difference, but I've always been a fast clotter. I still clot quickly, just not quite as quick. I certainly don't drip blood on anything. Interesting.
Old 02-29-20, 07:26 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeme
I've been on it now for a week and wondered if it worked. Well, I confirmed that when I was helping a gal fix a flat tire. I found a very small piece of glass in her tire's casing and it pricked me when I picked it out. I started dripping blood on her tire, tube, all over my fingers. It finally stopped with direct pressure. I was surprised how slow it clotted. What's your experience?

On a funny note, I found out she's a nurse and probably had blood-borne disease concerns. I apologized for bleeding on her tire and tube and told her I was HIV and Hep negative, had been faithfully married for 21 years, never shot up drugs, never had a blood transfusion, etc.
You’re lucky you are not on Eliquis: the slightest prick, graze or whatever and there’s blood everywhere😊
Old 02-29-20, 07:44 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
bikeme I tried daily 8mg baby aspirin for a few weeks around the time I turned 40. My ears rang like a fire alarm.
Old 02-29-20, 08:26 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
I take warfarin for a DVT blood clotting problem. I never noticed any excessive bleeding when I get small cuts.
Old 02-29-20, 08:29 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
If you are concerned about the thickness of your blood and stroke why not just see your MD and get tested? Baby aspirin is not without potential side effects.
https://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-su...y-aspirin.html

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 02-29-20 at 10:51 AM.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 02-29-20, 09:33 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,678 Posts

Older people, greater risk?

The third study focused on older people: whites ages 70 and older and blacks and Hispanics (whose baseline risk is slightly higher than that of whites) ages 65 and older. The 19,000-plus participants took 100 mg of aspirin or placebo daily for a median of 4.7 years.

Aspirin did not lower the risk of cardiovascular disease, dementia, or disability. But it did raise the risk of bleeding severe enough to require transfusions or hospitalization, as described in three papers in the September 16 New England Journal of Medicine.

Rethinking low-dose aspirin
Old 02-29-20, 12:19 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
It all depends upon the person taking it. Aspirin's effect on clotting or the amount of bleeding for a given injury or trauma varies dramatically from person to person.
Old 03-02-20, 01:15 PM
bikeme

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
If you are concerned about the thickness of your blood and stroke why not just see your MD and get tested? Baby aspirin is not without potential side effects.
https://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-su...y-aspirin.html
Great info, thanks. I'm seeing a cardiologist today after my cardio stress test. My primary doctor put me on aspirin following protocol, which I hated because there's not enough solid data about me. Same with a statin, he wanted me on one but said I could wait until July's labs and after I talk to a cardiologist.
Old 03-02-20, 04:23 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Deinitely works ok for me. I can't even get enough bloo out of my finger for a glucose check. And I only need a tiny drop.
Old 03-03-20, 10:22 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,932 Times in 1,213 Posts
I was oh so very happy to come off an antiplatelet. A week or two later, I bumped something as I walked by and thought, "That's NOT going to bruise!" Baby aspirin may increase bleeding a little bit, but one of those ain't nothing compared to the big guns.
Old 03-03-20, 02:45 PM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
I still clot super fast and rarely bruise. It kind of makes me wonder if the 81mg is sufficient. I may ask next time I see the cardiologist.
Old 03-06-20, 08:35 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Clotting factors vary significantly among individuals. I learned that years ago as a hemodialysis tech. We had to do clot times every few minutes with some patients, and a few patients needed heparin at the blood intake point and protamine at the exit/blood return point.

Coincidentally, during an annual checkup last week I complained -- again -- about chronic sinus inflammation and congestion headaches. I've been waiting for months for an ENT referral. And, again, my doc fussed at me for taking Sudafed so often. I said find me something better and I'll use it.

And I asked about a course of prednisone, which my endocrinologist rejected due to my osteopenia and family history of osteoporosis. I didn't disagree. I try to take prednisone only when absolutely essential and nothing else works. For me, that happens only every few years, always related to a severe upper respiratory inflammation, bronchitis or early stage pneumonia. So, not even every year.

Meanwhile I had two or three tests scattered throughout the day and had some time to kill at the hospital. I had a nagging sinus inflammation headache and joint aches, but forgot to bring any of my usual analgesics for mild to moderate pain. At home I usually take diclofenac, a prescription NSAID, twice a day. And I have ibuprofen, though I rarely take it anymore. I grabbed a bottle of aspirin because it was only $2 at the hospital store.

I hadn't taken aspirin in years. It never seemed to help. But this time it did. Within an hour the sinus pain was relieved, along with some gum/teeth pain related to the sinus congestion. I've been taking two 325 mg aspirin twice a day for a week. Really helps. Surprised me because I wasn't expecting it to work at all.

No unusual bleeding problems so far. I nicked a gum brushing my teeth the other night and it quit bleeding as soon as I rinsed my mouth (a hydrogen peroxide rinse helps). And I had some minor cuts to my fingers moving furniture and boxes around the past week. No unusual bleeding.

But everyone reacts differently. Genetics, diet, acute and chronic illnesses. Too many factors to generalize.
Old 03-10-20, 11:18 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
I'm going to be on it for he rest of my life - so why did the pharmacy only give me a 30 day supply? Do they think that's all the time I have left?
Old 03-10-20, 03:16 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,932 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
I'm going to be on it for he rest of my life - so why did the pharmacy only give me a 30 day supply? Do they think that's all the time I have left?
LOL! For twice the price, buy 10 months' worth off the shelf. (Although it's harder to file for flexible reimbursement.)