Will they not let us ride bikes soon?

Old 03-16-20, 04:16 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Will they not let us ride bikes soon?

Iím in the Bay Area. Going on rides and walks is the only pleasurable thing I can do outdoors. Will they take that away?
Old 03-16-20, 04:20 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 96 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 108 Posts
Let's hope not. But it has happened elsewhere (Spain). Just hope it doesn't spread here as it has there. Stay healthy!
Old 03-16-20, 04:44 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Schwinn Spitfire 1960, Biria Easy Boarding 8, Linus Roadster 8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 47 Posts
Iím here in the east bay I will go for a ride tomorrow. I need to ride to be healthy. I am 68 years old and if someone questioned me then I have thought about things to say. But mostly itís like: OK you cars have tried to kill me for 50 years now and didnít get me so now itís my turn to ride while all of you die.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 03-16-20, 04:58 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1718 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 204 Posts
How does riding a bicycle put you at more risk of catching a virus than if you were a pedestrian or if you were using public transit or a taxi or any other mode of transportation ??...If they ban riding bikes they may as well ban all people from leaving their homes...and if people aren't allowed to get to work then who is going to pay all their bills ??
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 03-16-20, 05:13 PM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3554 Post(s)
Liked 2,251 Times in 1,296 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
How does riding a bicycle put you at more risk of catching a virus than if you were a pedestrian or if you were using public transit or a taxi or any other mode of transportation ??...If they ban riding bikes they may as well ban all people from leaving their homes...and if people aren't allowed to get to work then who is going to pay all their bills ??

I doubt it will come to that, but we will continue to see restrictions and closures we really thought we'd never see.

No matter how you slice it, a lot of people are going to go broke in the next few months, and some people are going to die, and some will have their health ruined.

There's no way to put a happy face on it. I'm going to keep riding until someone tells me I can't or gives me a good reason I haven't thought of yet.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-16-20, 05:15 PM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3554 Post(s)
Liked 2,251 Times in 1,296 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger View Post
Let's hope not. But it has happened elsewhere (Spain). Just hope it doesn't spread here as it has there. Stay healthy!

To be clear, Spain has not banned bike riding, just recreational bike riding, and the reason given is that if you get injured there's no emergency service available to deal with it.

It sounds unenforceable, just put some groceries in a basket and you're good to go.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-16-20, 05:22 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85 View Post
I’m in the Bay Area. Going on rides and walks is the only pleasurable thing I can do outdoors. Will they take that away?
The Santa Clara County, San Mateo, and San Francisco City/County orders allow it. They appear identical suggesting the same is true in the other three counties.

Santa Clara: https://www.sccgov.org/sites/phd/Dis...er-031620.aspx
San Mateo https://cmo.smcgov.org/sites/cmo.smc...20200316_0.pdf
San Francisco https://www.sfdph.org/dph/alerts/fil...r-in-Place.pdf

Please read this Order carefully. Violation of or failure to comply with this Order is a misdemeanor punishable by fine, imprisonment, or both. (California Health and Safety Code ß 120295, et seq.)

UNDER THE AUTHORITY OF CALIFORNIA HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE SECTIONS 101040, 101085, AND 120175, THE HEALTH OFFICER OF THE COUNTY OF SANTA CLARA ("HEALTH OFFICER") ORDERS:
5. All travel, including, but not limited to, travel on foot, bicycle, scooter, motorcycle, automobile, or public transit, except Essential Travel and Essential Activities as defined below in Section 10, is prohibited.
10. Definitions and Exemptions.
a. For purposes of this Order, individuals may leave their residence only to perform any of the following "Essential Activities." But people at high risk of severe illness from COVID-19 and people who are sick are urged to stay in their residence to the extent possible except as necessary to seek medical care.
iii. To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in this Section, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, or running.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 03-16-20 at 05:57 PM.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 03-16-20, 06:22 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1718 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 204 Posts
If it's recreational riding that's banned it would be very easy to get around it and fool the authorities...Don't make yourself look like a racer on a training ride, instead make yourself look like you're riding for transportation. Don't dress like a racer, wear something that looks normal. Wear a backpack and put some fenders and maybe even a rack on your bike. Avoid group rides and ride solo instead. ..Hopefully what happened in Spain doesn't happen here in North America/Canada and I seriously doubt that our governments would ban riding bikes for transportation.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 03-16-20, 06:30 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 141 Posts
NYS just eliminated all entry fees for state parks and rec areas, definitely not a move meant to stop cycling.
Old 03-16-20, 06:35 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: 4 good ones, 1 junker

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
I'll ride until an illness or the infirmities of old age make me stop.

If the powers that be try to stop me, I'll just do like when I was a kid and sneak around as soon as they aren't looking!

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Old 03-16-20, 06:57 PM
DW_Thomas

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, a 'burb of Philadelphia which was, and may still be, the virus epicenter in the state. Yesterday my wife and I walked a bit on a rail trail (Perkiomen Trail) up into a county park where we eventually were flagged by a ranger telling us the park was closed. Today I noted the county website currently says "the trails are open", but since this trail goes through the boundaries of three county parks it's unclear how they're "officially" dealing with that. I haven't had the time or inclination to try another park. It could just be the haste with which stuff is happening, especially given the bumbling response nationally, that staff hasn't quite been filled in correctly. In the mile and a half stretch we did a round trip on we saw probably two dozen people on bikes, pushing strollers, etc. -- some even in the "closed" park.

A recent article circulating describes how in 1918 doctors in Boston treating Navy personnel with influenza found that keeping them in separate tents and bringing their cots outside in nice weather achieved a higher success rate and faster cures, so it seemed an outdoor activity should be good. (I told this to the ranger, but she was not moved.)

The trails are essentially wide open for access, so if a closure is announced it's obvious that enforcement would be a foolish effort at best.

Last edited by DW_Thomas; 03-16-20 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-16-20, 07:23 PM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth View Post
NYS just eliminated all entry fees for state parks and rec areas, definitely not a move meant to stop cycling.
He did the same last year and in 2017. The're charging 6 bucks a car. The one near me is near empty most of the summer, other than camping.

https://www.longisland.com/news/11-1...ck-friday.html
Old 03-16-20, 07:51 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 315 Posts
The Spain and Italy thing is probably a foolish ďvisibilityĒ measure response. If alone, no real effect other than to placate those looking out of windows.

IMO. and opinions are like a holes, everyone has one and they usually stink.
Old 03-16-20, 09:08 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
The Spain and Italy thing is probably a foolish ďvisibilityĒ measure response. If alone, no real effect other than to placate those looking out of windows.

IMO. and opinions are like a holes, everyone has one and they usually stink.
I guess it depends. Reading the above on the Spain thing it seems their rationale is that their health system is under current strain dealing with the virus, so if you ride recreationally and are injured in some sort of accident, treating your injuries will increase the strain on an already-strained healthcare system.

It's not known to me that the hospitals in my area have treated anyone for covid-19 yet, much less have been strained by it. I don't consider the small but non-zero risk that I could be injured in a cycling accident to represent a credible threat to my local healthcare system. I suppose if I got knocked into a 6-month coma while out riding and next month coronavirus hits my area hard and the hospitals fill up with covid-19 patients while I'm still in that coma, well that would be a problem, but that's reaching a level of "what-about-ism" that I currently regard as a bit much. I'll certainly modify my stance as this thing evolves.

It's kind of funny that we have national-level politicians going on the news telling people it's a great time to take the family out to a restaurant, and meanwhile it's suggested I shouldn't go on a solo bike ride on uncongested backroads in a state with currently something like a single digit number of virus cases, on the off chance that a catastrophic bike accident combined with a future hypothesized overload of the local hospitals would represent unreasonable risk to society.

In other news, I thought we were down to our last dozen rolls of toilet paper, but discovered today to my everlasting relief that we had another dozen stashed in the bathroom in our front hall. Dodged a bullet there, let me tell you.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 03-17-20, 09:58 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider View Post
Iím here in the east bay I will go for a ride tomorrow. I need to ride to be healthy. I am 68 years old and if someone questioned me then I have thought about things to say.
Ayup. (Though I've got a while to hit 68!) I can honestly say that bicycling kept me alive during my heart attack, so riding is not part of my health maintenance plan. Call my cardiologist if you don't believe me!
Old 03-17-20, 12:25 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Schwinn Spitfire 1960, Biria Easy Boarding 8, Linus Roadster 8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 47 Posts
I am out on my ride right now. Weather is great, traffic very light how could I resist? And yes, Iím maintaining social distance.

Last edited by Joe Bikerider; 03-17-20 at 12:29 PM.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 03-17-20, 12:43 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Two-wheeled human-powered vehicles, but that's not important right now

Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 92 Posts
When bicycles are outlawed, only outlaws will have bicycles.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 03-17-20, 02:58 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 135 Posts
I'm back on the bike and road at midnight tonight for a 100 miler.