Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone else use their index shifters in the friction mode?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-20, 07:47 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 182 Posts

I've been thinking of using my bikes that have index shifting in the friction mode.
I've had 2 bikes that were Suntour friction shifting. One that had a Blueline shifter
and currently one that has Superbe shifting. I'm 65 years old and live in NW Ohio which is
pretty flat. I'm too old to want to race and don't really shift that often. I really like the old Suntour
friction derailleurs.Easy to tune up and very quiet and smooth. I'll have to try my indexed shifting
in the friction mode to see how they work.
Old 03-31-20, 07:52 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
They work just fine.

Like friction shifters!
Old 03-31-20, 08:41 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Yup. I have a 1988 Schwinn Traveler that I got used. It must have been on Friction mode when I got it. I never saw that it was indexing so I rode it for about 7 months like that before I was cleaning the bike and realize it was an index shifter on the down tube. I flipped it to index shifting and it didn't seem to shift any better even after adjustments, so I flipped it back to friction shifting. It shifts good as a friction shifter.

This is the as bought picture. I really need to get a new shot of it. The big seat is gone, and it is cleaned and the paint is touched up. And it has fenders.

Edit: Oh yea, and it has platform pedals with toe clips and aero brake levers.

Last edited by Velo Mule; 03-31-20 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-31-20, 09:30 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
My DA9 dt shifters work flawlessly in index mode, but wont hold their place in friction mode no matter how much I crank down on the screw.
Old 03-31-20, 09:47 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Depends on the shifter design.

The Suntour GPX downtube shifters have a friction mode but it's mediocre. It uses plastic washers with no detents or clickstops to hold position in friction mode. Under pressure, such as standing to pedal, it'll slip and ghost shift unless I crank down the tension so tightly the shifting feel is terrible. It's basically an index-only shifter with a friction mode only as a bailout for emergencies if the index mode fails. So I bought some good quality friction shifters as replacements in case the GPX shifters ever go bad and can't be repaired or replaced.

Shimano bar-end shifters are fine with index or friction shifting. They use tiny detents with micro-clicks to prevent ghost shifting.

Some shifters are index only, no friction option. The Shimano Exage thumb shifters on my Univega Via Carisma were like that. Even the left/front derailleur thumb shifter was index only. When the shifters went bad after about 30 years there was no friction option so I had to replace them.
Old 03-31-20, 10:07 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
I'm running 9sp DA bar ends in friction so that the 9sp cassette and 9sp cranks on my mid 80s gitane tandem will get along fine with my simplex derailleurs. I'd like to switch to 9sp brifters and ders but I don't use it enough to justify more then I currently have into the bike when other things need work. The friction is nice but if a set shifters and ders drops into my lap I'd switch out of preference for index.
Old 03-31-20, 11:10 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
On my '84 Stumpjumper drop-bar conversion, I'm using Shimano 8-speed bar-end shifters, with the rear set to its friction mode. It could index the rear just fine, but the friction mode has a lighter feel.
Old 03-31-20, 11:15 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 197 Posts
I keep the bar-end shifters on my main commuting bike set to friction even though I could simply flip the switch to indexed (they're 8-sp Shimano and I have a matching derailer and cassette) - shifting by feel is smooth and seamless, and adding the extra clicks to overcome would only slow me down and require slightly more force with every shift.

Personally I do like indexed shifting very much for situations where I want to be able to shift gears without shifting my attention (technical mountain biking, aggressive road riding), but for more casual riding (commuting, casual road riding) I'm perfectly happy with friction shifters.
Old 04-02-20, 12:08 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Occasionally I'll switch the Shimano bar-end shifters on my Univega hybrid from index to friction. I put an 8-speed cassette on, 11-32, but still have the original 7-speed Shimano Exage rear derailleur (nearly identical to the Deore LX). The RD will cover the full cassette range in friction mode but tends to pop down from the 32 cog to the next smaller cog under pressure with index mode. If I plan to haul some heavy stuff up hills I might switch it over to have the 30 chainring/32 cog available. Otherwise I keep it in index mode, since the 30T chainring/28 cog is usually plenty for our climbs.
Old 04-02-20, 12:34 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I use the original DT 105 6 speed shifters, in friction, and original derailleur with a 10 speed cassette. It shifts great. It also has the original crankset and front derailleur. The rings on it now are 50/38. I am thinking of switching to an IRD crankset with 46/30.
Old 04-02-20, 01:02 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Only if I have mismatched drivetrains will I do such a thing. If it's any of my 9- or 10-speed DA DT shifters, they always get hooked up to a matching cassette and Shimano derailleurs. I've run Suntour Edge/Blaze Accushift Plus DT shifters with a Campy 9-speed cassette and Campy long cage RD. I could still feel the semi-obvious index points but otherwise it shifted very nicely. The city is noisy (normally) and I like to jump on the throttle enough that I don't want to bother with being 70% aligned when lightly pedaling only to get the catch and chunk when I get on it. So I index almost exclusively. Let it be known that I do have Retrofrictions and do want to use them on a bike dedicated for non sprint-y things (like touring or long rides outside of the city).
Old 04-02-20, 04:36 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
The first thing I do when I acquire another bike is install friction barcons an a triple.
Old 04-02-20, 01:42 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I have Ultegra 8-speed barend ****ers on one bike and Dura Ace 9-speed barend shifters on another bike and both are used in friction mode with no trouble whatsoever.

Cheers
Old 04-02-20, 02:14 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
My DA9 dt shifters work flawlessly in index mode, but wont hold their place in friction mode no matter how much I crank down on the screw.
Your doing something wrong.
Try a washer under the bolt.
Mine work perfectly in friction.
And everyone else's does.