Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Which stocks/ETFs or other equities are you targeting in the market now?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 03-31-20, 05:53 PM
EJ123
djentleman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

With these mega discounts of stocks right now I have been trying to dollar cost average a bit more, especially if the market keeps tanking. I have been eye balling the FANG/tech stocks such as QQQ, IGM, IETC, etc. Other stocks such as DAL, MGM, CCL have all been popular, but still seems risky, especially if something like CCL goes bankrupt. Might be a good idea to hunker down on some consumer staple stocks/etfs at this point. Going to avoid anything leveraged (SQQQ, TVIX, etc.).
Old 03-31-20, 06:11 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 200 Posts
I think cash is still the place to be for as long as a year. If you look at the 2 dips in the chart below (9-11 and the housing crisis), you can see that it took a year or more to get to the real bottom. I cashed out on the bounce last week and plan to sit and wait for another 20 to 25% drop before buying back in. If I was buying now, I might go for cruise lines. If you could find a new REIT that could invest their cash right now, they should be able to do well with low interest rates and a fairly soft market to buy into.

Old 03-31-20, 07:18 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 177 Posts
Probably just throw some cash into one of my Growth Funds. I'm in no hurry and I'm figuring I won't be making that move for at least 2-4 months. I still don't like the idea of single stock ownership. A bankruptcy could really ruin my day.
Old 03-31-20, 07:34 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 750 Times in 511 Posts
I’m investing in Charmin.
Old 03-31-20, 07:52 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 92 Posts
These days I'm mostly into mutual funds, but do keep a few $$$ on the side for individual stock investing. I put some $$$ into the funds I own when the DJIA fell to 19000, probably put in more when it drops again (I'm almost sure it will get that low again). As for individual stocks/stock groups, consumer staples might be a good idea as a conservative play, I also might make a play for some airline investments in the near-term future (a DJTI-tracker or similar fund might be good).

Quarterly reporting season starts tomorrow, so the next 1-2 weeks should give a good snapshot of what's happening to businesses right now (aka "how bad can it get")
Old 03-31-20, 08:23 PM
ups

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Looking at Markel (MKL). Actually have been for several years. It is considered a baby Berkshire. Always too high of a p/e. Down to reasonable levels now.

Otherwise I stick to index funds.
Old 04-01-20, 07:58 AM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by skidder View Post
Quarterly reporting season starts tomorrow, so the next 1-2 weeks should give a good snapshot of what's happening to businesses right now (aka "how bad can it get")
Although the reports may give a glimpse of what is happening, I think there's going to be a lag in what is reported and how it really effects not only the individual companies, but the economy overall. If we're to remain "quarantined" at least through April, I'm guessing the bottoms that are going to present themselves won't be evident for at least 2 months. In normal times I think the reporting on the total effect may have taken longer. But with the desperation in the market, investors want credible info sooner and are ready to move on that information sooner.
Old 04-01-20, 02:38 PM
EJ123
djentleman

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ups View Post
Looking at Markel (MKL). Actually have been for several years. It is considered a baby Berkshire. Always too high of a p/e. Down to reasonable levels now.

Otherwise I stick to index funds.
Interesting company! Never heard of them before and the price is continuing to get discounted. P/E is around 6.8 that seems great. What else about them do you like?
Old 04-02-20, 08:52 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by EJ123 View Post
Interesting company! Never heard of them before and the price is continuing to get discounted. P/E is around 6.8 that seems great. What else about them do you like?
Is any P/E ratio meaningful at the moment? What earnings level are you relating to the current price? Last quarter? Next quarter's non-existent projections? This whole year looks like a one-time write-off, and all bets are off as to when or if we will get back to last year's levels. Companies have all but given up giving guidance on future earnings. If they can't say, how can we?
Old 04-02-20, 09:27 AM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by chewybrian View Post
Is any P/E ratio meaningful at the moment? What earnings level are you relating to the current price? Last quarter? Next quarter's non-existent projections? This whole year looks like a one-time write-off, and all bets are off as to when or if we will get back to last year's levels. Companies have all but given up giving guidance on future earnings. If they can't say, how can we?
I would have to agree. But, I hope and expect a sudden boost to the overall economy once we get an All Clear signal regarding the virus. After that boost I expect a slow steady climb back to acceptable levels. I expect to see some smaller companies making deals with employees to either defer salaries and wages for the fist month while they get back on their feet, and I would expect a lot of people to take them up on deals like this just for the promise of further employment. I have faith that the american people can make this work.