Old 04-01-20, 02:12 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Staving off CV with cycling?

Nobody's asked this question have they?. The CV official forum seems almost inaccessible so I got a bit cheeky and put it here. To my knowledge, I'm not infected, but thinking ahead.
Great thing about bikes, particularly the short rides I do, means I can push a lot of air in and out o' those ageing lungs o' mine. Feels so good, and the roads are very free now. . . . what d'ya think? Any eveidence of this being the case?
Old 04-01-20, 05:52 AM
cb400bill
Model Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1, Schwinn Voyageur, Cannondale Synapse, Raleigh C50, Trek 710, Raleigh Granada, Legnano Pista, Viscount Aerospace Pro

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 897 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws View Post
The CV official forum seems almost inaccessible so I got a bit cheeky and put it here.
It's right here. https://www.bikeforums.net/coronavirus-covid-19/

And, now your thread is there, as well.
Old 04-01-20, 07:59 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I found riding the bike helped keep it at bay. The day I didn't ride felt like a sock in my lungs. Still took over two weeks to get rid of it somewhat. I'm looking forward to when they start doing antibody testing.. those chills was beyond terrible.
Likes For esmith2039:
Old 04-01-20, 08:04 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 132 Posts
Nobody's asked this question have they?. The CV official forum seems almost inaccessible so I got a bit cheeky and put it here. To my knowledge, I'm not infected, but thinking ahead.
Great thing about bikes, particularly the short rides I do, means I can push a lot of air in and out o' those ageing lungs o' mine. Feels so good, and the roads are very free now. . . . what d'ya think? Any eveidence of this being the case?
I don't think there is any evidence that cycling helps or hurts. To try and assert that someone knows one way or the other would be irresponsible at this point IMO.
Old 04-01-20, 08:12 AM
peterws

Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
I don't think there is any evidence that cycling helps or hurts. To try and assert that someone knows one way or the other would be irresponsible at this point IMO.
Thought the voices of experience might count for something . . . . I can assess whether it's useful or not. So can you.
Old 04-01-20, 08:19 AM
peterws

Originally Posted by cb400bill View Post

Thanks. You are a star . . . . I'm nott good on technicalities being a failed engineer . . .
Old 04-01-20, 10:35 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3553 Post(s)
Liked 2,251 Times in 1,296 Posts
Doubtful as to whether it has any effect on whether you'll acquire the virus, and it's probably just speculation as to whether it will have any effect on if you'll get sick if you do, but I figure riding keeps me healthier overall, and the healthier I am, the more likely I am to fend off the virus if I catch it.

But for everyone's sake, if you do know you have it, stay home!
Old 04-01-20, 10:44 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 132 Posts
Thought the voices of experience might count for something . . . . I can assess whether it's useful or not. So can you.
What "experience"? This is a new virus. No one has anything beyond anecdotal experience at this point. So I can save you some trouble: it's usefulness is between slim and none.
Old 04-01-20, 04:28 PM
peterws

Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
What "experience"? This is a new virus. No one has anything beyond anecdotal experience at this point. So I can save you some trouble: it's usefulness is between slim and none.
Still worth hearing folk's experience. Might turn out that cyclists have a better resistance through the increased ventilation of their lungs. But if you think it's of no importance, go get yerself a nice cup o' coffee instead.
Old 04-02-20, 02:01 PM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by esmith2039 View Post
I found riding the bike helped keep it at bay. The day I didn't ride felt like a sock in my lungs. Still took over two weeks to get rid of it somewhat. I'm looking forward to when they start doing antibody testing.. those chills was beyond terrible.
Are you saying you rode on some days you had the virus or thought you had it?
Old 04-02-20, 03:59 PM
esmith2039

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Are you saying you rode on some days you had the virus or thought you had it?
The days with chills and barely move no I didn't ride. The days of the cough I did ride, I think it lessen the cough faster compared to my coworkers.
Old 04-02-20, 06:00 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 116 Posts
Possibly a relevant anecdote. About 8 years ago (2012), my daughter got a bad cough that then turned into pneumonia. Soon afterwards, my wife got the same cough that also turned into pneumonia. At the doctor's office with my wife, the M.D. said, "you get pneumonia as a secondary infection. Your cough inhibits you from breathing deeply, so the deeper parts of your lungs are not aerated. The anaerobic condition promotes secondary infections that lead to pneumonia."

Then I started coughing. I felt terrible, but twice a day I got on my bike and rode hard, forcing myself to breath hard, even though I was hacking up a storm as I went down the road. I did this each day. I did not get pneumonia.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 04-02-20, 06:13 PM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The days with chills and barely move no I didn't ride. The days of the cough I did ride, I think it lessen the cough faster compared to my coworkers.
You do realize you are supposed to self quarantine donít you? The evidence on sneezing and coughing is that the virus can be spread far and wide. I hope no one else follows your recommendation.
Likes For donheff:
Old 04-02-20, 06:25 PM
esmith2039

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
You do realize you are supposed to self quarantine donít you? The evidence on sneezing and coughing is that the virus can be spread far and wide. I hope no one else follows your recommendation.
Uh that was back in December... If we knew then what we know now yes for sure. BUT if a person can ride away from people, which 100% doable, they should even today. But stay away from others at all cost.. if not get on the indoor trainer.
Likes For esmith2039:
Old 04-02-20, 08:58 PM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
Uh that was back in December... If we knew then what we know now yes for sure. BUT if a person can ride away from people, which 100% doable, they should even today. But stay away from others at all cost.. if not get on the indoor trainer.
Just curious, but do you know for certain that you actually contracted COVID-19 if it was back in December?
Likes For jim_pridx:
Old 04-02-20, 09:11 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by jim_pridx View Post
Just curious, but do you know for certain that you actually contracted COVID-19 if it was back in December?
uh, ditto. Had you been to Wuhan immediately before? If not, it seems doubtful.
Old 04-03-20, 06:08 AM
esmith2039

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jim_pridx View Post
The symptoms and how it spread match to a "T". I can you tell who didn't show symptoms and who they spread it to. The number of cases at my workplace is at 3 and we have over 10k... there's a reason for that. I'll gladly take a antibody test and I know about 10 others. We have personnel that travel to China so December isn't a stretch.
Old 04-03-20, 09:27 AM
peterws

I seen so many folk wearing maskes and face coverings in Supermarkets I feel like coughing when i see 'em, prob. because I hold my breath; . . . .just SOO glad to get out of these places!
Old 04-03-20, 11:38 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 518 Posts
I’m still riding BUT I’m in a rural area with no other cyclists. At this point I stay home and I won’t even go to the grocery store. I wouldn’t ride busy bike trails or in large cities or even a small town. Better to be overzealous than not. Too much is unknown....
Old 04-03-20, 12:06 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 11464 Post(s)
Liked 2,642 Times in 1,531 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill View Post

FYI, it would be helpful to put a link to the new forum in the announcement. I had enough sense to go look at the list of forums, but not everybody does.
Old 04-03-20, 12:12 PM
cb400bill
Model Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1, Schwinn Voyageur, Cannondale Synapse, Raleigh C50, Trek 710, Raleigh Granada, Legnano Pista, Viscount Aerospace Pro

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 897 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
FYI, it would be helpful to put a link to the new forum in the announcement. I had enough sense to go look at the list of forums, but not everybody does.
The announcement was made by corporate not the mod staff. However, I think this is a great idea and added a link to it. Thank you!
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 04-04-20, 11:11 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: Austro Daimlers Vent Noir, Inter 10, Olympian, Super Liecht, Motobecane Grand Jubile, Raleigh Technium, Mongoose Vinson, Rad Mini and Dahon Speed Uno Single Speed, Moto Grand Record, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Canondale Black Lightnings (2), 72 PX10

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 25 Posts
heavy breathing blasts virus droplets into the air, and airborne droplets remain a hazard to others for up to 3 hours, so wear some sort of face covering when you ride (and not a N95, as they are hard to breathe through when exerting yourself). there are sports masks out there that permit a better flow when riding or running but don't have any to recommend. folks riding or walking before you might leave some floaters in the air, and if you are sick, be responsible and stay home and indoors. the life you save might be mine!