Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone out there with first hand opinion on using new freewheels?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anyone out there with first hand opinion on using new freewheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-20, 07:49 AM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
I tried twice with modern Shimano freewheels. There is no connection at all between vintage and modern freewheels. Last time was about a year ago with fresh inventory. Does not work. I’ve no idea what those on this board who say it does work might be doing. Sunrace quality was so low so long there’s no reason to offer them the benefit of the doubt.

Is there a shortage of NOS freewheels? Price paid varies a lot but I’ve never encountered difficulty finding them?
Vintage derailleurs and vintage chain work best with vintage freewheels.
I've changed 2 freewheels from uniglide to hyperglide with no problems
Both provide smoother and quieter shifting after the change
Likes For robertj298:
Old 04-01-20, 08:55 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
I tried twice with modern Shimano freewheels. There is no connection at all between vintage and modern freewheels. Last time was about a year ago with fresh inventory. Does not work. I’ve no idea what those on this board who say it does work might be doing. Sunrace quality was so low so long there’s no reason to offer them the benefit of the doubt.

Is there a shortage of NOS freewheels? Price paid varies a lot but I’ve never encountered difficulty finding them?
Vintage derailleurs and vintage chain work best with vintage freewheels.
There is no shortage of vintage freewheels, I got a bunch of them sitting in boxes, but they aren’t cheap, and other then esthetics, see no reason to use one in any of my builds, mainly because I actually ride them
I agree with you, on the Sunrace freewheels, quality can be dismal, and really no improvement in shifting. The shimano is not as pretty as my old Regina and SunTour models, but I think I see your problem why the Shimano doesn’t work for you, Assuming it’s just not esthetics. I know this is CV, but you have to be willing to ditch the vintage chain.
Vintage derailleurs work better with a modern freewheel and a newer chain. If your not willing to switch chains, moot point. Of course, we me be talking about different stages of vintage derailleurs, mine only go back to the late 70s
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 04-01-20 at 09:14 AM.
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 04-01-20, 04:16 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
All the 5 speed wheels on the rack go into any of my 5 speed bikes with no adjustments, no fiddling, no problems. All the 6 speed wheels on the rack go into any of the wife’s 6 speed bikes with no adjustment, no fiddling, no problems. Any of these wheels will also go into any other old bike that has not been molested. This is possible because we use original equipment and leave the bikes alone.

Shimano is all about re-inventing the wheel continuously, obsoleting everything daily, refusing to provide parts backup for anything. They treat retail customers like dirt and they treat their biggest OEM customers like dirt. And they spend enough on advertising that you all love them anyway.

Uniglide and hyperglide and version 17.3 of whatever they made yesterday do not work better. They work different. If you want a modern bike get a modern bike. Vintage bikes work best with vintage parts.

What is this ongoing animus against Regina freewheels? Incomprehensible.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 04-01-20, 04:30 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Uniglide and hyperglide and version 17.3 of whatever they made yesterday do not work better. They work different.
I have to differ with you on this. In my experience, Uniglide and Hyperglide tooth profiles shift quicker and cleaner than other tooth profiles, even with vintage chains and friction derailleurs. The Shimano 74nn and 64nn series freewheels are mechanically among the best ever put on the market. Shimano's modern production doesn't quite measure up, but the tooth profiles still work better.

What is this ongoing animus against Regina freewheels? Incomprehensible.
The old two-notch Regina freewheels were notorious for the delicacy of their remover notches. If carelessly applied, the freewheel remover tool can easily damage them beyond redemption. To their credit, Regina did eventually adopt the splined pattern used by Atom, Zeus, Everest and others, but left other undesirable features in place: a body originally design for four sprockets with a fifth, sixth, and good lord even a seventh cobbled onto it by mounting them on the outermost sprockets. The multiple sprocket mounting diameters using threaded sprockets for all positions, with left-hand thread on the innermost, so you need a special clamp to remove the final sprocket.

So sorry. Not a fan.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 04-01-20, 05:24 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
To the OP, obviously a lot of experience and opinions about this. Plenty of options out there that work well, and no reason to make it more complicated than it actually is. We're talking about 5,6, and 7 speed friction systems here. The gearing you want is out there, and outside of occasional QC issues, it all works.

Hope you have a blast when you grind that gravel!
Likes For BFisher: