Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Colnago Master Vs Gunnar Sport

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Colnago Master Vs Gunnar Sport

Old 03-29-20, 10:11 PM
Slowridr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Colnago Master Vs Gunnar roadie

Sorry I meant Gunnar roadie vs colnago master. Don't know how to change the title.

If you had to choose between these 2 which one would you build? What advantages would one have over the other. Looking to build a full steel bike (including fork). Looking for good performance, a good Sunday rider.

Any other full steel bike I should look at?

Last edited by Slowridr; 03-29-20 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-29-20, 11:07 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Gunner also has a Sport Disc.
Old 03-30-20, 02:23 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 104 Posts
If it has Decor or a team paint scheme than always the Colnago. The Colnago is a work of art the other is a bike. The Colnago will have a higher return if you sell it. I am biased though.
Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 03-30-20, 06:52 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
This is an odd pair of bikes to compare. Suggests that you might want to do some more homework.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-30-20, 07:31 AM
sultanofsuede

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
i recently went with a steel frame and have been really happy with it!

just my opinion, but between those two, i'd go with the colnago. its just 'cooler' to me. now, if you put that up against a waterford, i might go with that because it can be built to your size. the history and charm of the waterford brand might be a little 'cooler' to me. i'm just riffing here - ideally you'd get to ride both/all frames before you buy and then decide from there.

some other steel frames i considered were ritchie, ralaigh was making a vintage steel frame (i think they stopped though), bianchi, & seven. many custom bike builders around the US though, so you can spend a ton of time looking at those also.
Old 03-30-20, 08:47 AM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
I used to race with Gunnar Shogren and he was a very cool individual. I'd go with the Gunnar just because he's Gunnar Shogren. He does build good bikes. Colnago has the whole mystique and cachet factor, but Gunnar is a homegrown racer and business. I'll drool over your Colnago, but I'll be green with envy over your Gunnar.
Old 03-30-20, 09:37 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
2 very capable framesets with 2 different personalities

This comparison makes me think of Mario Cipollini vs Cadel Evans. , Tom Brady vs Drew Brees, Joe Namath vs Johnny Unitas, on and on

One is a brash Italian showman, the other is a strong and understated workhorse

They are also in 2 different pricepoints, unless you need the custom geometry of the Gunnar - then the prices are similar though -- plus Gunnar being available in a disc brake version if that matters at all

While I love the idea of the Colnago and I like most aspects of the bike better -- (the flash and flair ) - the lack of a disc brake option in 2020 is the deal killer for me. Personally i'd go for a carbon Colnago offering with disc brakes -- but this is not about me

If you are starting out with either of these 2 framesets, you are likely embarking on what would be a dream build for a lot of us, so why not go with the latest technology that is out there like discs and Di2 (or Record Electronic, Etap, etc) so as much as I love everything about the Colnago, Gunnar has stayed in step with the times a little better ---

Other steel bikes? -- Waterford comes immediately to mind - they have disc versions, - are beautiful (still more understated than the Colnago, but what isn't?) are All American, and I believe Waterford welds up the framesets for Gunnar to boot

There is also the option of having a full custom made if you have the time and patience --- I like the Vanilla Speedvagen a lot personally
Old 03-30-20, 10:10 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
Originally Posted by tgenec86
I used to race with Gunnar Shogren and he was a very cool individual. I'd go with the Gunnar just because he's Gunnar Shogren. He does build good bikes. Colnago has the whole mystique and cachet factor, but Gunnar is a homegrown racer and business. I'll drool over your Colnago, but I'll be green with envy over your Gunnar.
I hope this post was tongue-in-cheek, because Gunnar Shogren has absolutely nothing to do with Gunnar Cycles.

I do agree that Gunnar Shogren is a very cool individual, though.
Old 03-30-20, 10:29 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
For me, there is no comparison (I own two Colnagos, both made prior to the outsourcing of Gilco tubing). That said, how they compare is only a question you can answer.
Old 03-30-20, 08:23 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
For me, made in USA was very compelling. Also, the air hardening steel Waterford uses . . . My Gunnar is a total delight to ride. Slightly oversize down tube, plenty stiff but plenty comfy
Old 03-31-20, 06:10 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
both bikes are very nice. But a Colnago has street cred that a Gunnar doesn't. If that doesn't matter then get what speaks to you. If Guru was still in business I'd suggest looking at a Sidero but alas.....

Old 04-01-20, 09:06 AM
laxpatrick

Bikes: Canyon, Gunnar, Speshes mtb and phat

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
You may have Gunnar Shogren confused with Waterford's Gunnar line of bikes, FYI
Old 04-01-20, 09:24 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Made in the same factory as Gunnar, has more color options and nice looking are Milwaukee bikes. Almost went with their cross bike and in hindsight maybe it would be what I wanted, but they've got a nice center selection.
i also haven't seen colnagos new for the price of a Gunnar, so if I only had Gunnar money I'd be proud to ride it, if I had colnago money I'd buy a DeRosa primato
Old 04-01-20, 11:07 AM
imakecircles

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Nuovo Racing, 2012 Cervelo RS Rival, 20xx Redline Conquest (Commuter/Rain Bike)

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 30 Posts
"You don't have to get Italian, but it is the best." - The Pope

On advice of the Pope, I'd go with the Colnago.
Likes For imakecircles:
Old 04-01-20, 10:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10898 Post(s)
Liked 7,386 Times in 4,145 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
both bikes are very nice. But a Colnago has street cred that a Gunnar doesn't. If that doesn't matter then get what speaks to you. If Guru was still in business I'd suggest looking at a Sidero but alas.....

You give indy a run for his money in how often you force this picture into conversation.
Let it happen naturally, man. Dont force it

Last edited by mstateglfr; 04-01-20 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-01-20, 10:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10898 Post(s)
Liked 7,386 Times in 4,145 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowridr
the master frameset is $3100 on coloradocyclist. Assuming that is on par with what it costs elsewhere, the list of options I would give you is too long at this point.
it would start and end with builders in the US(assume you live here). Fyi- the middle would also all be US builders.

A few of dozens in that pricd range- anderson, breadwinner, Rodriguez, Chris Kvale, Kirk frameworks, jeff bock. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1585801342164
seriously, there is no shortage of incredibly talented builders and $3k can get you a hell of a steel frame and fork.
...and if you go with a carbon cark, the options triple in numbers.

Cicli barco in italy would be an option I would consider thats not in the US. They make bikes for other brands.

Basically, colnago has a cool paint job going for it. There is nothing magical about the tubing or construction. It's nice tubes with what looks like neutral geometry(in my size) and a wild paint job.

There istno wrong answer in all this. Just look around and google some custom builders if you want other options to consider.
Old 04-02-20, 08:01 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You give indy a run for his money in how often you force this picture into conversation.
Let it happen naturally, man. Dont force it
Thank you for your contribution to the site.
Old 04-02-20, 08:19 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
This is a very apples and oranges comparison, with a modestly priced steel frame, compared to a very expensive one. It's hard to take seriously.

https://www.bicycleroots.com/gunnar-cycles-roadie-frame
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Col...-Frameset/25TH
Old 04-02-20, 06:27 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Have been riding a Gunnar Roadie for several years now. Had it built with custom geometry and the Waterford fork. I am an odd shape/size with long torso and short legs, Working with Gunnar/Waterford and my LBS to get an optimal fit was one of the best cycle decisions I have ever made. They asked a number of questions about my riding style and preferences. Plus I selected the components I wanted. Can ride the bike for hours in complete comfort. Not sure that is available for the Colango ?
Likes For martianone:
Old 04-03-20, 01:52 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I wouldn't even give it any thought, the Colnago wins.
Old 04-03-20, 02:06 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 147 Posts
"Colnago is the Ferrari of bicycles"

Not my quote, but read it in a magazine

Also have a 1976 Super

VERY SMOOTH !!!!!
Old 04-03-20, 05:26 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
There is also the option of having a full custom made if you have the time and patience --- I like the Vanilla Speedvagen a lot personally
​​​​​...or a Scissortail. Just sayin'.
Old 04-03-20, 09:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Well Colnago has made excellent steel bikes for a long time but so has Waterford (they used to be Schwinn Paramount back when that meant something).

Certainly for looks and more well known prestige Colnago is tough to beat. It has Glico style tubing and lugs which is always nice and desirable.

However the Gunnar has a more modern build with a little more modern geometry. It also gives you more custom options to make the bike work better for you and is made in the US.

As much as I love Colnago and would love to own one especially with a Campagnolo 50th Anniversary groupset, I might say modernity might win out for a more practical ride.

Now for other steel I would say Chris Bishop who does lovely steel bikes with really great paint and lovely lugs that will just make you feel all warm and fuzzy. However there are a ton of other great steel builders from, Brian Chapman, Co-Motion, Don Walker, Winter Independent Fabrications, Vanilla/Speedvagen, Breadwinner, Yamaguchi, Stonier and plenty of others including a bunch outside of the U.S. There are many who build more specialized bikes say if you are looking for a touring bike or randonneur or racing bike. There are also plenty of companies building more basic stock builds like Surly, All City, Soma as well as a lot of bigger names many of which got their start in steel.

You really need to figure out what you plan on doing with the bike and let people here know and we can help better. If you can go custom, I highly recommend it. Getting a bike built for your specifications and your unique fit is quite nice. Being able to talk to a frame builder and have them use their expert knowledge to build you something tailor made for you is beyond compare. However there are plenty of great stock frames out there that can do well.
Old 04-04-20, 11:20 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike

Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike

faceslap - how could i forget? 😳 Everything Dewayne does is a work of practical art!

Home

not sure his backlog but i am fighting the urge hard to give him a deposit to start work on my next one --- wanting to jump on the gravel bandwagon, but realistically, i can do everything i want to do in that area with a skinny tire mtb -

they are keeping the lights on with curbside service over there now thankfullyu
​​​​​​​
Old 04-15-20, 11:25 AM
Johnk3

Bikes: Simoncini, Wilier (2), Cinelli Supercorsa, Cicli Barco XCr

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Cicli Barco XCr custom stainless steel

Originally Posted by Slowridr
Sorry I meant Gunnar roadie vs colnago master. Don't know how to change the title.

If you had to choose between these 2 which one would you build? What advantages would one have over the other. Looking to build a full steel bike (including fork). Looking for good performance, a good Sunday rider.

Take a very serious look at Cicli Barco https://www.ciclibarco.it

My new custom Cicli Barco XCR custom with brushed stainless steel, a Barco Viva stainless fork with a carbon steering tube, Campy Super Record 12 sp. and WR Compositi carbon parts. HED Belgium wheels and White Industries T11 hubs and Vittoria Corsa Control tires. If you look closely you will note the Campy direct mount brakes, lighter and far more beautiful than discs, but better working than regular rim brakes.

Gianluca Barco (info@ciclibarco.it)is quite fluent in English and very responsive and helpful in the design, fitting, options and production. They have a huge number of choices and options in both TIG and lugged stainless steel with stainless forks and lugs of all types. He works carefully with you on measurements. He also got me a good price on many of the carbon and Campy parts.

My custom frame cost 3,320 Euros ( $3,600) including shipping. But, it has a lot of options like name plate, Italian shield, nickel head badge, direct mount brakes, multi-color paint, the Viva fork, the carbon steering tube and Chris King headset. The base price for a XCr TIG welded frame with a curved stainless fork is 2,620 Euros ($2,900) including brushed or polished finish, one paint color, interior or exterior brake cables, and a number of other no-cost options. A stainless steel XCr lugged frame is 100 Euros more.

The bike weighs 18 lbs. 14 oz. with pedals for a size 58.5 frame. It rides very smoothly and feels alive. Also the production quality and paint is flawless. Cicli Barco won the "Best of Italy" and other awards last year at Bespoked, the British version of NAHBS. https://bespoked.cc/awards.html.

For an independent review of the Barco XCr frame look at this: https://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/66...rco-xcr-review

And, most importantly, Barco makes handmade steel frames for about 20 other Italian bike companies to put their own name on. The odds are extremely high that any brand name Italian steel frame is probably made by Barco, although not to the quality control levels of bikes with their own name on it. Of course, there is a huge mark up by the other bike company. The Cinelli XCr stainless frame is made by Barco but has none of the options and quality finish that mine has but it costs $4,800.

Just so you know, XCr refers to Columbus XCr stainless steel tubing. It is a relatively new product, only about 10 years old, that features very high-tech metallurgy and is triple butted. The tubes are almost paper thin but quite strong. It also happens to be the most expensive tube set in the world, currently over $800 just for the raw tubes.

Last edited by Johnk3; 04-15-20 at 11:57 AM.
Likes For Johnk3:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.