Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Going 'supple' on a tandem

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-20, 07:05 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts

Hi there,

seems like 'supple' is a new buzzword that I come across lately. Soft, compliant tires that enhance the riding experience are all the rage. I have enjoyed riding Rene Herse Antelope Hill Tires on my bikepacking rig and was wondering if anyone is riding tires like these?

We are currently running Schwalbe Marathons
Old 03-25-20, 07:24 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Supple is just being recognized. I've had a liking for challenge tires from when I was first introduced to them as supple but fast back in 2000, did a road race that summer with a pair that had a very off camber curve on a large steep downhill. Lots of wipeouts there, but I was clocked at 50mph through it on each lap while trying to re-catch the pack after the climb, could always make up some distance but really wasn't enough of a climber for the course and at least in 5 laps I didn't get lapped. Really think the tires were it, not only did they have grip but the tires really meshed to the pavement and had a smooth ride. I know the rolling resistance website doesn't give them the best reviews but their Paris-Roubaix 27c tire still really comfortable to ride and fast.
Can't imagine riding a 55c tire though, I find 35mm tends to be quite comfortable enough and bigger just feels slower and not more comfortable.
Old 03-25-20, 07:30 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
this past weekend I did a tour on my single bike on the 55c tire - it was amazing. The tire just swallowed any bumps and frost heaved ripples... for example when one is bombing downhill on a road and midway hits some minor potholes or distressed pavement ... on regular tires one is holding on to the handlebars trying to sail over it ... with the 55c tire it just absorbed it all...very comfortable and enjoyable.
Old 04-01-20, 09:50 AM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
I recently put 38mm Maxxis Ramblers on my commuter gravel bike and moved the 37mm WTB Riddlers from the commuter to our travel tandem (replacing 28mm gatorskins). Huge difference between the ramblers tubeless on the commuter and huge difference with the riddlers tubed on the tandem. The riddlers are not known for being supple. I really like the ramblers and am thinking to put a set on the tandem but I am going to see how the wear before investing in them.
Old 04-01-20, 03:18 PM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
Hi there,

seems like 'supple' is a new buzzword that I come across lately. Soft, compliant tires that enhance the riding experience are all the rage. I have enjoyed riding Rene Herse Antelope Hill Tires on my bikepacking rig and was wondering if anyone is riding tires like these?

We are currently running Schwalbe Marathons

That's one advantage when we opted for 26c tires on our da Vinci Designs Tandem. I usually run the tires at 75 psi. You can really feel the increase in ride comfort over my old Tandem which we ran a 100+ psi.
Old 04-02-20, 07:22 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Wide, supple tires are definitely awesome on tandems. Just be sure that you respect their pressure limits. Panaracer Pari Moto 650b x 42mm tires were an absolute game changer for us -- even compared to the 35 to 37mm Paselas and Voyagers we'd been using prior to them. The Pari Moto construction is comparable with the extralight tire casings from Rene Herse. Our everyday wheels and tires are i35 rims with either the Pari Moto or Gravelking 42mm, so the tires measure about 48mm wide inflated. Those are fast on pavement, packed dirt, and most maintained gravel roads. For truly rough terrain, we've run a handful of wider setups measuring 50 to 64mm inflated with Gravelking 48mm, Schwalbe G-One Speed, WTB Byway, and an assortment of MTB tires. If we're going for flatout speed on pavement, sometimes we use 38mm Gravelking tires on those i35 rims for a nice aero tire-rim profile.
Old 04-02-20, 08:44 PM
gracehowler
Rod & Judy

Bikes: Specialized S-works E-5, Davinci joint venture , CoMotion Pangea

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
tires

Originally Posted by Ludkeh
That's one advantage when we opted for 26c tires on our da Vinci Designs Tandem. I usually run the tires at 75 psi. You can really feel the increase in ride comfort over my old Tandem which we ran a 100+ psi.
What width tire do you run on the daVinci?
Rod
Old 04-10-20, 11:45 AM
jethro00

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
On our daVinci Grand Junction, we have Schwalbe Marathon Mondial folding tire Evolution 26x2.00 (50-559) Double Defense TravelStar-Compound pumped to the max rating of 70 psi. Our terrain ranges from smooth asphalt to pothole filled roads (pothole filled roads being considered redundant in New Orleans). We do get to feel the road and sometimes probably look like bobble head dolls on city streets. That said, the same is true riding in a car on New Orleans city streets.
Old 04-11-20, 04:18 AM
rocknrollin

Bikes: PlanetX Tempest, Santana Fusion, Santana Arriva

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We have been running Schwalbe Marathon Supreme, 26x 2 ". They roll extremely fast for their size and are very comfortable.
On our last tour, the rear tire gave up after only 1500 km. The tube blew up descending on a tight curve, and it turned out that the side wall had 2cm long patch that was chewed through.
That was the foldable, non-wired version, and we had been riding heavily loaded over fields, roots and gravel. So I don't blame the tire and it might just not be suited for that type of riding.