Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2019 S-Works Roubaix

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2019 S-Works Roubaix

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-20, 04:42 PM
scottmarshall

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2019 S-Works Roubaix

My local dealer has one of these that I can buy for half price. It is new, although it has some "rubs" in the frame's matte finish that distract me a bit. They aren't scratches, just a streaky look in two spots. I can also get a 2018 for the same price. It has a gloss finish so there aren't those rub marks.

Does anyone have any experience with this bike? Would you recommend the 2019 over the 2018? Common sense would say yes, but common sense isn't always the right answer!

I appreciate any help.
Old 02-06-20, 05:32 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
I can't say anything about the bike, but I can say that I own a 2020 Trek with a matte finish and it's a pain to keep clean. Streaks and other oils show up pretty easily and cleaning it is a pain as you could damage the matte finish. As an example, here are some spots on my bike that remained after I wiped it down with a wet cloth. There are ways to clean matte finishes; I just haven't had the time to spend on it besides just wiping the bike down every now and then.
Likes For Metallifan33:
Old 02-06-20, 05:40 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by scottmarshall
My local dealer has one of these that I can buy for half price. It is new, although it has some "rubs" in the frame's matte finish that distract me a bit. They aren't scratches, just a streaky look in two spots. I can also get a 2018 for the same price. It has a gloss finish so there aren't those rub marks.

Does anyone have any experience with this bike? Would you recommend the 2019 over the 2018? Common sense would say yes, but common sense isn't always the right answer!

I appreciate any help.
When you ask about model years you have to take a couple of things into account: First, were there any significant changes in the frame. Second, were there any changes in the component specifications? Answer these questions first. A couple of rub marks are inconsequential if you are getting a 50% discount.
Old 02-06-20, 05:47 PM
scottmarshall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
When you ask about model years you have to take a couple of things into account: First, were there any significant changes in the frame. Second, were there any changes in the component specifications? Answer these questions first. A couple of rub marks are inconsequential if you are getting a 50% discount.
The frame is the same and the majority of the parts are as well. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-06-20, 05:48 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Yup. I've got a matte finish Domane, too, and it shows those kinds of smudges - if you're going to get a matte finish bike, you either need to figure out how to clean it to your satisfaction or learn to live with it.

As far as the 2018 vs 2019, see if the frame changed over that model year and then check over the specs and see if there are any differences in groupset, wheels or finishing kit (bars, stem, saddle, seatpost, etc). You would think that the newer bike would be the same or better, but that's not always the case; manufacturers have been known to save some pennies with swaps to cheaper componentry on occasion.

edit: damn slow typing - got beaten to the punch!
Old 02-06-20, 05:56 PM
scottmarshall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yup. I've got a matte finish Domane, too, and it shows those kinds of smudges - if you're going to get a matte finish bike, you either need to figure out how to clean it to your satisfaction or learn to live with it.

As far as the 2018 vs 2019, see if the frame changed over that model year and then check over the specs and see if there are any differences in groupset, wheels or finishing kit (bars, stem, saddle, seatpost, etc). You would think that the newer bike would be the same or better, but that's not always the case; manufacturers have been known to save some pennies with swaps to cheaper componentry on occasion.

edit: damn slow typing - got beaten to the punch!
I having some trouble finding all of the specs from both models. The 2019 is very close to the current model. I saw something about a significant improvement in aerodynamic design but can’t remember if it was in 2019 or 2020. If it was 2019 then that makes it easy to decide between the two.
Old 02-06-20, 05:56 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by scottmarshall
The frame is the same and the majority of the parts are as well. Thanks for the reply.
[
Which parts were changed? This is important. Subsequent year models often change part specifications not to improve the bike but rather to meet a price point. It is not unusual for a bike company to downgrade certain components in order to keep price increases down
Old 02-06-20, 06:17 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
I believe the crank is the only difference? S-works on the '18 vs. DA on the '19. Not a big enough difference to make me chose one year over the other.
Gloss vs. Matte finish, on the other hand...definitely a major factor, to me at least. Matte paint is a nightmare.
Old 02-07-20, 12:07 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
This is going to sound more reverse-snobbish than I mean, but I was worried about my Roubaix's matte finish until I got it and found that I only had the energy to ride it, and none to bother worrying about it looking brand new. Also, there's this:

There’s not even any point in keeping your bike scrupulously clean as only a proper bikie knows how to do it — it just makes it look as if you only bought it yesterday.

MY 2020 is when the Roubaix got the more aero frame plus the newer Future Shock 2.0.
Old 02-09-20, 05:34 PM
OUGrad05

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
My Roubaix is a matte finish and I don't like the finish at all.