Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I wtb Assioma Duo. Amazon is $100 more than vendor's site?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-20, 12:54 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts

I wanted to purchase some power meters. When I go to
the vendors website they are sold out and $100
cheaper than amazon. Is there a good reason
why they are $100 more on amazon? shipping
and import/customs tax from england? Just
trying to determine if it's worth waiting
for the pedals to be back in stock from
the vendor vs just buying from amazon now.

$631 ( sold out )
ASSIOMA DUO
https://cycling.favero.com/shop/dual...er-assioma-duo

$739
FAVERO Assioma Duo Side Pedal Based Power Meter
https://www.amazon.com/Favero-Assiom...5593850&sr=8-8
Old 03-30-20, 01:20 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The difference in price might be due to old model vs new model years. When the shop gets more in, is there a guarantee that the price won't change?
Old 03-30-20, 04:08 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Scroll down to "Product Details" on the Amazon page and you'll find a little button that asks "Would you like to tell us about a lower price?" Click that and follow the instructions.
Likes For rollagain:
Old 03-30-20, 04:13 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
You can put any price you want when you don't have the item.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-30-20, 04:22 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Could it be that the Amazon site knows the vendor has sold old, and are looking to make a profit on that? Sort of like scalpers and tickets?

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 03-30-20, 04:47 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Being that Favero is located in northern Italy it is not surprising they are sold out. I'd be surprised if there is even anybody at their facility currently with the catastrophic situation they are going through.

You could order from Clever Training. About the same price but ships from the USA and worth the little bit extra even in normal times IMHO. That's where I got mine earlier this year.

https://www.clevertraining.com/assio...ng-power-meter
Likes For August West:
Old 03-30-20, 04:59 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
On the Amazon page you'll see that the product is sold by an independent seller, Natural Green Products. They probably know the OEM is out of stock and have jacked up the price hoping to find someone that doesn't want to wait. Personally I would want to work with the OEM or at least a company in the bike business.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 03-31-20, 05:52 PM
sean.hwy

I have a back order purchase with no time frame from from

https://www.clevertraining.com
Old 03-31-20, 07:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If an item you're interested in is available only on Amazon (or you just prefer Amazon), but the price is high, put it in your cart, then move it to "save for later".

This will often trigger an algorithm that lowers the price to tempt buyers into completing a transaction.

Check your cart often and look for the notifications of price reductions. I'm not sure whether there's a way to get email or text notifications of price changes, but that could be handy too.

I've done that often and it'll sometimes trigger incredible discounts. Recently I snagged a couple of aero race fit jerseys for less than $30, well under the MSRP of $150 or so. That's due in part to choosing unsold old stock jerseys from two or three years ago. Some bike kit makers revamp their entire catalog every year or so and don't want unsold old stock distracting customers. There's a huge markup in most apparel of all kinds, so manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers plan on a very slim profit margin or losing money on unsold old stock (especially in women's fashion) while making up for it with big markups on brand spankin' new stock.

You'll see less dramatic discounts on bike hardware, unless electronics are involved. Electronics tend to be regarded as obsolete every couple of years, so an older power meter might follow that pattern.
Old 03-31-20, 09:18 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by canklecat
If an item you're interested in is available only on Amazon (or you just prefer Amazon), but the price is high, put it in your cart, then move it to "save for later".

This will often trigger an algorithm that lowers the price to tempt buyers into completing a transaction.

Check your cart often and look for the notifications of price reductions. I'm not sure whether there's a way to get email or text notifications of price changes, but that could be handy too.

I've done that often and it'll sometimes trigger incredible discounts. Recently I snagged a couple of aero race fit jerseys for less than $30, well under the MSRP of $150 or so. That's due in part to choosing unsold old stock jerseys from two or three years ago. Some bike kit makers revamp their entire catalog every year or so and don't want unsold old stock distracting customers. There's a huge markup in most apparel of all kinds, so manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers plan on a very slim profit margin or losing money on unsold old stock (especially in women's fashion) while making up for it with big markups on brand spankin' new stock.

You'll see less dramatic discounts on bike hardware, unless electronics are involved. Electronics tend to be regarded as obsolete every couple of years, so an older power meter might follow that pattern.
thats a great idea. I will try that next time.

thanks
Old 04-01-20, 04:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat

I've done that often and it'll sometimes trigger incredible discounts.
I always thought Avis car rental does something similar. An employee told me rates rise the closer you get to the date you want to rent so book early. But one fall I priced a one-way rental to the start of my favorite localish long weekend tour. Looked very early and kept checking back because the rate was outrageous. Checked one more time less than a week before I wanted to rent and the price had dropped by a little over 50%. I was so shocked I double checked to make sure I had entered the correct dates, etc. I have an account with them so they must know when I visit the site.
Old 04-01-20, 07:02 AM
AndrewJB

Bikes: FUJI Transonic 2.3; Motobecane LeChampion TI SL; Trek 2.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
The price difference was similar a couple month ago when I got my Assioma Duo. I bought mine directly from the factory for less than Amazon or anywhere else.
One reason to consider might be that they base their price on the euro, and convert to dollars based on the current exchange rate. My email receipt was in euros.
The amazon seller may have bought their stock at a different price/exchange rate.

Last edited by AndrewJB; 04-01-20 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-01-20, 12:08 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
I ordered my Assioma Duo pedals from Clever Training back in mid February. Got 2nd day delivery for around $400 including shipping. I was lucky to get them before Italy was essentially shut down by covid-19
Old 05-07-20, 04:42 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I have a back order purchase with no time frame from from

https://www.clevertraining.com
My order from 3/31 came today.

The pedals where torn off the zip ties. Can't really tell if it used pedals are just bad shipping.

Old 05-07-20, 08:22 PM
Jimmy Wisdom
-__-

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 8 Posts
Careful ordering from Amazon. I ordered these through Amazon in December and the order arrived quickly, but the product received was a bogus set of Peloton pedals. Took about four phone calls and a month for Amazon to finally refund the $750+ I paid. Ended up ordering through Clever Training and saved $100 and received the real deal. Great pedals and a really nice, reliable dual sided power meter. I couldn't be happier with them. I love that I can switch them easily between any of my bikes. Good stuff.
Old 05-08-20, 04:04 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
I got my Assioma Duo about a month ago. Local vendor here was just in talks with Favero about a shipment from them when I wrote him. Guess I got lucky.
Old 05-09-20, 05:26 PM
waters60

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Hopefully newer ones have lower release tension. It is the only thing I would fault mine for is too tight release tension. Does anybody use the supplied cleats? I had read some complaints about them so stuck with my Looks.
Old 05-09-20, 06:18 PM
Osprey 1
Old Newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Almost a year, lots of miles on the included cleats, zero issues with peddles or cleats!

Last edited by Osprey 1; 05-09-20 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-10-20, 11:44 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
Hopefully newer ones have lower release tension. It is the only thing I would fault mine for is too tight release tension. Does anybody use the supplied cleats? I had read some complaints about them so stuck with my Looks.
Got mine a month ago, I do not know about the release tension being better or not. Mine are good, especially considering that I had never used these type of cleats before, only ever SPD MTB ones. But I did put the screw to the lowest possible setting on both sides. I have never accidentally unclipped during a ride.