Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Using stripped cranks?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Using stripped cranks?

Old 03-31-20, 09:55 PM
disco_kevin30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Using stripped cranks?

I have drilled Stronglight cranks that have a fairly stripped bolt area. The threads are semi present, but they definitely dont look good and I plan to order the proper remover so I can ascertain if they are completely ruined or moderately functional. I think I have decided to use them anyway on an upcoming build (Peugeot PKN 10) because they are otherwise in perfect shape. My logic is, I may as well use them and just count on having to destroy them at a point in the future vs not using them at all and just recycling them. I dont mind having to resort to worst case scenario removal if I can get some more life out of them. Has anyone else here knowingly used a part that was damaged and resigned themselves to dealing with a potential hassle down the road?
Old 03-31-20, 10:01 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 142 Posts
Yup, and it was a BB on a 20 year old kid's bike. Since it will get handed down to another kid I might end up having to deal with it but I suspect it'll be someone else's problem in 20 years. The bike is only for them to ride to school and loan to friends for joining us on rides and its not like those threads do anything to hold the crank on.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 04-01-20, 04:35 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 263 Posts
You can always get the cranks off with a pair of Jacobs chuck wedges.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 04-01-20, 07:04 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr View Post
You can always get the cranks off with a pair of Jacobs chuck wedges.
Or with a pickle fork.

Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 04-01-20, 08:25 AM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 17508 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 980 Posts

Can I rethread a crankarm?

https://www.bikeforums.net/13293342-post15.html

https://www.steintool.com/portfolio-...ractor-system/

...it took me years to find someone selling of these, and I can't remember who it was. I have had trouble ordering the replacement adapters that refit your crank to standard. But as long as I have the oversized puller, I can just use it to pull those crank arms that have been rethreaded oversized. It is expensive, and you need more than one Stronglight stripped crank to justify purchase. It's a great tool, but it's too bad they are so difficult to come by.

Anyway, there are some other solutions in the linked old thread above.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 04-01-20, 08:40 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 147 Posts
Used with some caution, Jacobs chuck wedges are a non-destructive, non-damaging way to remove a square taper crank. The wedges are relatively inexpensive and available from any industrial supply house or even on Amazon. I believe the #6 taper is the recommended size.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 04-01-20, 09:07 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post

Can I rethread a crankarm?

https://www.bikeforums.net/13293342-post15.html

https://www.steintool.com/portfolio-...ractor-system/

...it took me years to find someone selling of these, and I can't remember who it was. I have had trouble ordering the replacement adapters that refit your crank to standard. But as long as I have the oversized puller, I can just use it to pull those crank arms that have been rethreaded oversized. It is expensive, and you need more than one Stronglight stripped crank to justify purchase. It's a great tool, but it's too bad they are so difficult to come by.

Anyway, there are some other solutions in the linked old thread above.
It can be purchased directly from Jim Stein. The guy is a real gentleman. Answers the phone himself and always willing to help.
I have one and it works great.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 04-02-20, 10:43 AM
Laingod

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can always ride it as it is, eventually the crank arm will simply fall off, that will be the time to change it
Likes For Laingod:
Old 04-03-20, 11:32 PM
disco_kevin30

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the advice. The wedges look like a good way to take care of this particular situation. I may pick them up instead of the Stronglight puller due to the cost difference, anyway. Good call on those! I have heard of gear pullers and riding with the crank bolt removed which is why i just assumed there would be destruction/major hassle involved. I am getting pretty pumped about this build! I have Swiss bb and I wasnt sure if it was the right spindle width but I did a test fit and it looks like its going to work; they sit a little inboard but no rubbing or anything so i am just going with it. Thanks again for the replies!