Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What are you doing today(C&V bicycle related)?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What are you doing today(C&V bicycle related)?

Old 01-29-15, 04:16 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Planning the fix-ups to my daughter-in-law's 1987 Centurion LeMans RS,to improve her comfort and performance for this summer's 200-mile STP and all the fun training rides leading up to it.
Old 01-29-15, 05:35 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Working on converting a post WW II lower auxillary pack M-1945 into a saddle bag for a forum member. Lots of leather cutting, edging, punching stitching holes and mental design gymnastics and planning. And more work than I figured, as is usual. But rewarding, creatively.
Old 01-29-15, 06:08 PM
72Paramount
I'm a Classic Man.

Bikes: Anything with a full record group.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Still playing the waiting game.....I have a c-record wheelset coming from italy(taking forever) a cobalto brake set coming from a couple hundred miles away and taking far too long to get here.... Driving me nuts. I did get my 6 speed regina cx and I must say it is buttery... Building nice stuff takes LOTS of patience. Rrrgh!
Old 01-29-15, 06:24 PM
Mtbnomore

Bikes: Trek Domane, Soma Smoothie, Surly Big Dummy/Pacer/KM/Ogre, and a revolving collection of vintage stuff

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, in the stand right now is an '83 Trek 520 that I picked up the other week. I'm in the process of converting it to 700c, and upgrading a few parts with period-correct Shimano stuff (Deore LX, mostly). I've also got an '89 Specialized Rockhopper Comp that I've just about turned into a Rockcombo clone. I need to replace the rear derailleur and get a longer seatpost, but otherwise, it's pretty much finished.
Old 01-29-15, 06:53 PM
acoffin 

Bikes: 72 Lygie (SS conv), 87 Ironman Expert, 94 Allez Sport, 16 Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Today I finally got the stubborn fixed cup off of my Zullo frame. I've been fighting it since September. Of course now I remember that I never ordered a new headset and clamp adapter for the front derailleur. Once those are here I can finish installing the 7700 group and find out if I like the frame well enough to keep.
Old 01-29-15, 09:58 PM
Ed.

Bikes: 1938 Raleigh Record Ace (2), 1938 Schwinn Paramount, 1961 Torpado, 1964? Frejus, 1980 Raleigh 753 Team Pro, Moulton, other stuff...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I had a visit from Archimedes today, and together we rendered this fixed cup not.

Old 01-29-15, 10:50 PM
street_sweeper

Bikes: ones with two wheels

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not doing it today, but tomorrow afternoon im going to be putting a sealed cartridge bottom bracket, 2x7 speed sti levers and recabling my 1987 specialized sirrus.

Wish NOS uniglide cassettes werent so expensive to source these days.
Old 01-30-15, 07:17 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
I helped a friend strip a nice Carlton Corsa down to the frameset. Before you bellar at me - it was half there already: seat and drivetrain gone and a few other bits and bobs gone. We still have the Nicklin cranks and the W centerpulls and the levers with original white Carlton hoods that cleaned up quite nicely. The fameset is from '69 or '70 with the lamp mount on the front fork leg. Purple (lilac??) with chrome fork socks. I enjoyed cleaning it up. He's going to sell it.

This is NOT it but its the same sort of thing: https://www.universalcyclecentre.co.u...mes/fr014s.gif
Old 01-30-15, 07:25 AM
Prowler 

Originally Posted by Ed.
I had a visit from Archimedes today, and together we rendered this fixed cup not.
Great bike Ed. I didn't realize you had a Mk V. Looks like is was made less than a year after my Mk IV. I can't wait to see it live. Maybe when I come north in the spring.

Please start a separate thread on this rebuild. We want more, more.
Old 01-30-15, 08:31 AM
Ed.

Bikes: 1938 Raleigh Record Ace (2), 1938 Schwinn Paramount, 1961 Torpado, 1964? Frejus, 1980 Raleigh 753 Team Pro, Moulton, other stuff...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Sir, like all, well at least many of my bikes, this started from my junk box of 30+ years ago. I really don't recollect how I managed to come by the frame set. The crank is a Stronglight that had lived for a bit in my Torpado. The front wheel is in my Team bike, the rear, I think also a Yellow Label Fiamme, is hanging by a flat spot in the floor joists, somewhere. The brakes and derailleurs are Campagnolo, tho the front, as you can see, has had some work done to it.

I was curious how things (principally grease) would look after ~35 years of just hanging out. The bottom bracket was a bit stiff, certainly not free-spinning. I can post a photo of one of the cups and the grease (presumably Campagnolo, but certainly a white lithium grease of some sort). It's incredibly gooey, but still appears to be 'greasey', meaning I think it could be put back together and ridden with no harm done.
Old 01-30-15, 08:45 AM
Prowler 

Originally Posted by Ed.
Sir, like all, well at least many of my bikes, this started from my junk box of 30+ years ago.

The bottom bracket was a bit stiff, certainly not free-spinning. I can post a photo of one of the cups and the grease (presumably Campagnolo, but certainly a white lithium grease of some sort). It's incredibly gooey, but still appears to be 'greasey', meaning I think it could be put back together and ridden with no harm done.
First of all: "Sir" was my Dad, gone under the ground now. And I understand about that grease. I'm pretty sure that the BB on mine had never been touched and "stiff" and "gooey" were compliments. Mine was so stiff the I could not turn the cranks. I could revive it with a bit of WD-40 but that would only last a day then glued to stop again. When I did open the BB I had to dig the old grease out with a knife blade. I could have glued the car to the driveway with the stuff. I wonder if G.O.D.s Worksop boys used tallow from the sheep farm out back there on Eastgate Road?
Old 01-30-15, 08:49 AM
triathloner

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
putting back together a 1984 specialized stump jumper after a full overhaul. Was planning on selling it because I'm not into vintage mountain bikes, but it seems it's going to be tough to let go, we will see.
Old 01-30-15, 09:19 AM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
Shipping a Bridgestone CB-1 frame.

Trip to the city last night to unload about 20 bikes/frames and some misc.

Old 01-30-15, 09:22 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
Some 27 x 1 1/8 Vittoria Zaffiro tires arrived yesterday for an '83 Raleigh Super Course bike I am fully rehabbing.
The plan is to toss those on, run cables, and wrap the bars tonight.

Take some pictures tomorrow and up on CL she will go!
Old 01-30-15, 09:53 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed.
I can post a photo of one of the cups and the grease (presumably Campagnolo, but certainly a white lithium grease of some sort). It's incredibly gooey, but still appears to be 'greasey', meaning I think it could be put back together and ridden with no harm done.
A few decades ago I picked up a small tub of Rampar grease of a light tan color. I have no idea what was in it but it stayed gooey and greasy until I finally used it up two years ago. Any bearings I have ever opened up which I had packed with that stuff were still light and gooey and greasy. I have no doubt that the rest are all still as I last saw them.
Old 01-30-15, 10:01 AM
mattk42

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 19 Posts
I've got a late 80s Specialized Rockhopper Comp in my stand right now. Almost completely disassembled. The rusty chain has been soaking in a Bar Keeper's Friend solution and the rust is coming off. Yay! The brass pipe cleaning brushes I ordered should arrive today and I'll get to see if they can tackle the minor inner rust present in a couple spots.

End result will be a drop-bar mtb, but right now I'm just cleaning.
Old 01-30-15, 10:05 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
I'm selling bikes, finally..... Hopefully a couple more tomorrow.

On chains (above), when you can buy brand new chain for around $5, unless it is a very special chain, I don't bother with rust removal.
Old 01-30-15, 10:10 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
New tires, new tubes. Anyone that uses Krylion 23's knows what the "new tubes" thing means.
Old 01-30-15, 10:15 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
My new to me Witcomb was giving me fits last night. But I think I have everything sorted now. Its a 1969 frame. Its been around a while. The guy I bought it from used a modern group on it. And over the years the BB shell shrunk to 65mm. So the driveline was kinda messed up for my classic build. Shimmed out the BB and that was an improvement. This morning I realigned the rear triangle. Man those 531 tubes are tough to bend. I think I have it all sorted. Gears shift well, wheel sits square in theframe. Now its time to work on the front of the bike. Intall headset and see how the fork lines up. Old bikes need a bit of fettling.
Old 01-30-15, 10:19 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mattk42
I've got a late 80s Specialized Rockhopper Comp in my stand right now. Almost completely disassembled. The rusty chain has been soaking in a Bar Keeper's Friend solution and the rust is coming off. Yay! The brass pipe cleaning brushes I ordered should arrive today and I'll get to see if they can tackle the minor inner rust present in a couple spots.

End result will be a drop-bar mtb, but right now I'm just cleaning.
I can't wait to see your Rockhopper Comp!

Nothing exciting for me. I originally put Kool Stop Continental pads on the '55 Phillips and they were quiet on the steel rims. Now that I've built a new front wheel the brake pads squeal loudly. Really isn't any way to toe in, except maybe bend the calipers, so I'm going to buy the Cane Creek "Grey Matter" pads. A whole bikes worth for less than $10!
Old 01-30-15, 03:30 PM
JAG410

Bikes: A few ;)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Filing the holes I drilled last night and then running some wires.
Old 01-30-15, 03:58 PM
justin10054

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 72Paramount
Still playing the waiting game.....I have a c-record wheelset coming from italy(taking forever) a cobalto brake set coming from a couple hundred miles away and taking far too long to get here.... Driving me nuts. I did get my 6 speed regina cx and I must say it is buttery... Building nice stuff takes LOTS of patience. Rrrgh!

Sounds like you have a nice project in the works. What frame are you putting those parts on?
Old 01-30-15, 04:44 PM
72Paramount
I'm a Classic Man.

Bikes: Anything with a full record group.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by justin10054
Sounds like you have a nice project in the works. What frame are you putting those parts on?
1984 Masi Gran Crit
Old 01-30-15, 04:52 PM
justin10054

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 72Paramount
1984 Masi Gran Crit

Oh man, Masis are my weakness. I'm pretty sure my next vintage bike will be a Gran Criterium.
Old 01-30-15, 05:51 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
I just finished separating my extra stuff into three piles of goodies: BOC, Ebay and next Sunday's Seattle Bike Swap.

I'll be down to the bare bones as regards spare stuff. I'm keeping all my spare small parts (fasteners and whatnot) and a few pieces that are projects (brake levers/crankarm set/a couple seatposts and derailleurs) either to be used or sold.

Gonna see if I can't pass along the Masi Special and a wheelset or two as well. Pretty close now to having my collection at a level I feel is manageable for me

DD

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.