Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling and hand signals

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling and hand signals

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-21, 12:54 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You really like to make things harder. I don’t ride in groups all that often but pointing at something on the left…pothole, rock, dead body, etc…with the right hand seems a good way to confuse people. I’m not completely ignorant about group riding and I’ve never seen anyone use their right hand to point out problems on the left. Talk about confusion!
No, that was a typo…serious stuff on the left will be called out with the left hand. I’ll edit my post to correct.
Old 08-02-21, 12:54 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I live a few blocks from a system of interlinked MUPs that could easily be strung together for 60+ mile rides, too. Doing such a ride would be absolute torture to me. *shudder*
Different stroke for different folks. Why do you dislike MUPs so much .... not being judgy or anything just genuinely curious. I hate idiots in cars. I had one lock up his brakes years ago when bearing down on me just to scare me ....thought I was dead as his high beams spotlit me before he nailed the brakes ..... was laughing his hillbilly ass off, also had a couple of chuckle heads follow me for a few miles revving thier engine and yelling at me ....both several years ago. Sticking to the paths has been enjoyable the last few years when I returned to cycling for exercise.
Old 08-02-21, 01:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
Our pedestrians are oblivious and would be as bad as drives. One section I ride on is crushed packed limestone ..... lightly trafficked. Our major rail trail has some little villages on it that have lots of foot traffic to be aware of. Half the time a bike bell attracts them into your path. I just use abundant caution. Little kids and inattentive pet owners worry me the most. I do ride the rural roads around where I live but the state of todays distracted drivers as well as country bumpkins who think messing with cyclists is good sport deters me somewhat.
I stopped riding on MUPs completely after encountering a young couple coming toward me, who were obviously out on their new Rollerblades for the first time and doing that thing where you almost fall on your backside, while walking their dog on an extendo-leash. The dog was happily wandering in the bushes ON MY SIDE OF THE PATH, and they were unable to control themselves, let alone him. I had to go all the way around him to get past.

Where I live now, the roads are really the only way to get anywhere. Drivers are what drivers are, but fortunately there are so many cyclists here that it keeps the drivers more on their toes. Drivers are far more likely to overdo giving space when passing than cutting too close. Just go halfway into the opposing lane and gun it so you pass quickly and in less space - how hard is that?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-02-21, 01:04 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Different stroke for different folks. Why do you dislike MUPs so much .... not being judgy or anything just genuinely curious.
Because of walkers, runners, errant kids, dogs on zippy leashes, inline skaters and casual cyclists, all traveling much more slowly than me. There are often poor sightlines and the width can be inadequate at speed. While there may be fewer street crossings, I find that they're more dangerous. If I'm with my kids and/or wife, traveling at 12mph, sure - MUP. At 20+? Not a chance.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-02-21, 01:06 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by genejockey
Drivers are what drivers are, but fortunately there are so many cyclists here that it keeps the drivers more on their toes. Drivers are far more likely to overdo giving space when passing than cutting too close. Just go halfway into the opposing lane and gun it so you pass quickly and in less space - how hard is that?
Driver's are not that way around here ....however MUPs are a big draw and I would say a solid majority of people are good about their manners on the trails I frequent. I probably will get to the point (after I get a new bike, some new legs and a new set of lungs !!!) where I need the open road to get what I need out of a ride. For now I am a courteous steward of the trails and do my best to be careful and watch for others. On low traffic days they are an absolute joy to me.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 08-02-21, 01:14 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

There are a couple MUP/trails nearby that are pretty beautiful - 4 miles through the Crystal Springs Lake watershed, not a house or car to be seen! But there are SO MANY WALKERS on it that it's just miserable on a bike.

There's another part of the same trail that bypasses part of a climb, but I like the climb, so I stick to the road.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-02-21, 01:18 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Because of walkers, runners, errant kids, dogs on zippy leashes, inline skaters and casual cyclists, all traveling much more slowly than me. There are often poor sightlines and the width can be inadequate at speed. While there may be fewer street crossings, I find that they're more dangerous. If I'm with my kids and/or wife, traveling at 12mph, sure - MUP. At 20+? Not a chance.

Makes sense to me .....If I am ever in good enough shape to average 20+ MPH I may feel the same way. The main one I ride (at least 2 days a week) has tons of foot traffic etc in certain areas but is pretty open in others. Good sight lines too since it is a converted rail bed.....mostly straight. The new sections are very wide and rural .....very little traffic ....had a good tail wind Friday and averaged about 20 MPH for a few miles lol.

At this point being on the bike and putting in miles is all that matters to me. 8 months ago I was in the ER with a broken neck and leg and at significant risk of being permanently disabled. I actually am in some respects but I've adapted. With the help of a few brilliant surgeons we managed to avoid the worst of it and honestly .....that lit a fire under me like you wouldn't believe. I'm probably in the best shape of my life right now. I was in decent shape before my accident but in all seriousness ...... All I know is that I was staring right at it and that changed my perspective on life ..... Between the bike and the gym I had 25 workouts in July and have been that way since I could start weight bearing again in March.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 08-02-21, 01:19 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by Biketiger
I appreciate his use of signals ?
His use of a signal seems to be unnecessary, and even confusing in this case. If he had pointed in the direction he was going to turn, what would you have done differently?
Old 08-02-21, 01:21 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

You speak of MUPs as if they are all the same. Not all MUPs are created equally. Some are very good.
Old 08-02-21, 01:24 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
and the relative flatness is really quite boring.
Old 08-02-21, 01:25 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Makes sense to me .....If I am ever in good enough shape to average 20+ MPH I may feel the same way. The main one I ride (at least 2 days a week) has tons of foot traffic etc in certain areas but is pretty open in others. Good sight lines too since it is a converted rail bed.....mostly straight. The new sections are very wide and rural .....very little traffic ....had a good tail wind Friday and averaged about 20 MPH for a few miles lol.

At this point being on the bike and putting in miles is all that matters to me. 8 months ago I was in the ER with a broken neck and leg and at significant risk of being permanently disabled. I actually am in some respects but I've adapted. With the help of a few brilliant surgeons we managed to avoid the worst of it and honestly .....that lit a fire under me like you wouldn't believe. I'm probably in the best shape of my life right now. I was in decent shape before my accident but in all seriousness ...... All I know is that I was staring right at it and that changed my perspective on life ..... Between the bike and the gym I had 25 workouts in July and have been that way since I could start weight bearing again in March.
Props for your battle back to fitness.
Old 08-02-21, 01:26 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by spelger
He lives in Minnesota, so I think the relative flatness is darn near inescapable.

Old 08-02-21, 01:28 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by livedarklions
So, let's get back to my question. Does anybody on this thread actually use turn signals on a MUP? Right turn signals in particular?
I was getting ready to type "nope" then I remembered. There are times I am southwest bound on the MS River Trail and need to make that hard right onto the exit ramp. If someone is close behind, I'll signal to let them know that I am going t be slowing way down and drifting toward the center. That turn is way too tight to take with any speed.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Je...!4d-90.1673448

In the scenario the OP laid out, a hand signal doesn't seem like it would benefit anyone.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 08-02-21, 01:29 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
Relative flatness of the MUP or the roads? Here, many of the regular cyclist actually avoid the MUP because it's constantly rolling 4% to 6% grades. Not long climbs though 80 feet vertical at the most.

Yes I agree with Paul Barnard MUPs are not created equal.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-02-21, 01:34 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
You speak of MUPs as if they are all the same. Not all MUPs are created equally. Some are very good.
No, I speak of my MUPs, specifically. If yours are wonderful and you're content to be a pathlete, by all means.
Old 08-02-21, 01:39 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by genejockey
He lives in Minnesota, so I think the relative flatness is darn near inescapable.
Sustained climbs are non-existent, but I wouldn't call it flat. It's certainly not FL, coastal VA, or the great plains states (well, unless I go really far to the west of the metro). NYC was much, much flatter, too.
Old 08-02-21, 01:50 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
So, let's get back to my question. Does anybody on this thread actually use turn signals on a MUP? Right turn signals in particular?
I do when I feel it's necessary. The MUP closest to me is a network of paths that is well used, so if anyone is around where I think they need to know my intentions, I will signal.
Old 08-02-21, 01:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Sustained climbs are non-existent, but I wouldn't call it flat. It's certainly not FL, coastal VA, or the great plains states (well, unless I go really far to the west of the metro). NYC was much, much flatter, too.
My nephew, who grew up and still lives in the Tidewater part of Virginia, came out to SF for a conference. He told me he found our hills 'intimidating', and was in awe of me for riding a bike up them.

Old 08-02-21, 02:02 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

No, I speak of my MUPs, specifically. If yours are wonderful and you're content to be a pathlete, by all means.
There is an MUP loop that a lot of roadies in the area use pretty frequently. Nowhere else in the area can you get an 20+ mile segment of uninterrupted pedaling. It's not something I want to do all the time, but it's nice to mix it in. That loop could be extended into the 60+ mile range, if one wanted to do such a thing.
Old 08-02-21, 02:06 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Pathlete !!! That's awesome !!!

There is a MUP in my state I want to try ......It is about 65 miles one way and goes through several counties .... I may have to do a thread just on it if it's awesome !! I will update here if hand signals are required !!
Old 08-02-21, 02:15 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Gotta tell you, in 50+ years of riding a bicycle, I could probably count on one finger the number of times I've seen anyone use the left-arm right turn signal on a bicycle. It's counter-intuitive and awkward. I see people throw their right arm signals from time to time.
I see it fairly often around here, generally older, inexperienced women.
Old 08-02-21, 02:23 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Eric F
There is an MUP loop that a lot of roadies in the area use pretty frequently. Nowhere else in the area can you get an 20+ mile segment of uninterrupted pedaling. It's not something I want to do all the time, but it's nice to mix it in. That loop could be extended into the 60+ mile range, if one wanted to do such a thing.
There is a MUP in my state I want to try ......It is about 65 miles one way and goes through several counties .... I may have to do a thread just on it if it's awesome !! I will update here if hand signals are required !!
Oh, I get it. Like I said, they're sometimes a lesser evil. Most of them, though, are going to be in areas that are more densely populated and those are to be avoided if you're looking for a workout... but then there are going to be the odd ducks. When I'm in VA, I'll do the Cap Trail sometimes - it's long (~100 miles out and back), relatively uninterrupted, runs through (mostly) sparsely populated areas and isn't heavily trafficked. It's also uninspiring as hell. But the infrastructure isn't all that great for cycling, otherwise, so I'll throw that in every once in a while.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-02-21, 02:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Yeah, this is one of those things where people have very different images of paths in their heads. I just rode on paths in Virginia, PA and MA where going 20+ was not a problem at all, and actually easier to do than on the nearby roads. These things are a lot more fun between cities and towns than in them.
Old 08-02-21, 02:37 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Oh, I get it. Like I said, they're sometimes a lesser evil. Most of them, though, are going to be in areas that are more densely populated and those are to be avoided if you're looking for a workout... but then there are going to be the odd ducks. When I'm in VA, I'll do the Cap Trail sometimes - it's long (~100 miles out and back), relatively uninterrupted, runs through (mostly) sparsely populated areas and isn't heavily trafficked. It's also uninspiring as hell. But the infrastructure isn't all that great for cycling, otherwise, so I'll throw that in every once in a while.
Valid. The MUP in I'm talking about isn't very interesting, but also doesn't have a tone of people wandering randomly. It's indicated as a "bike path", which probably helps, as well. It's at its best when you can roll side-by-side with a friend who is good at conversation.
Old 08-02-21, 02:43 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

When I was growing up there, I'd ride up the big hill from the Walker Art Center to Mount Curve repeatedly just to get some climbing practice. I haven't been there in about 25 years, but it looks on Google maps like that hill has become victim to landscaping, that street whose name I no longer remember is gone.
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.