Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Unable to remove Freehub from Vision Team 35 Disc

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-24, 01:35 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts

I have a Vision Team 35 disc and want to remove the freehub but have no idea how to do it.

I removed the cassette and the rotor, then I removed the end caps without issues and there's a bearing exposed at both sides, but there's no place to fit an allen key to free the freehub body, and I'm not able to remove it by pulling.

I'm also unable to remove the axle. I suppose I may have to tap it out with a hammer, but I think I'm going to damage the bearings if I do this.

Am I missing something? Here are a couple of pictures from both sides of the wheel after disassembly. The red bearing is the freehub body bearing.

Old 01-16-24, 06:01 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
​​​​​​https://www.visiontechusa.com/en/sup...tomer-services
Old 01-16-24, 10:15 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Just did an older one of these so not certain how similar they are. After pulling the end caps it was a matter of putting a screwdriver in the axle and tapping on the screwdriver to use the axle to push the bearing out. The screwdriver handle, being wider allows the blow to be distributed across all edges of the axle and being plastic doesn't cause damage. i started tapping from the drive side and it quickly popped out, for the one i worked on the bolt to hold the freehub body on was accessed from the non-drive side and used a 14mm allen wrench. To reinstall the bearings it was a matter of greasing the bearing, pushing it in gently as much as possible, then putting the end cap on and using a screwdrive to and a small mallet to tap the cap back into place and seating the bearing at the same time.
Old 01-16-24, 11:51 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Just did an older one of these so not certain how similar they are. After pulling the end caps it was a matter of putting a screwdriver in the axle and tapping on the screwdriver to use the axle to push the bearing out. The screwdriver handle, being wider allows the blow to be distributed across all edges of the axle and being plastic doesn't cause damage. i started tapping from the drive side and it quickly popped out, for the one i worked on the bolt to hold the freehub body on was accessed from the non-drive side and used a 14mm allen wrench. To reinstall the bearings it was a matter of greasing the bearing, pushing it in gently as much as possible, then putting the end cap on and using a screwdrive to and a small mallet to tap the cap back into place and seating the bearing at the same time.
Didn't you damage the bearings by doing this?
Old 01-17-24, 02:30 AM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by dedhed
Really helpful. Just to let you know, I'm asking here because I've been waiting for more than a week for their answer.
Old 01-17-24, 06:50 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
There is a chance if the bearings have been in there a long time they can be corroded in place but I didn't cause any damage. The design of many of these hubs is that this is the only way to do it. Unless, like a king, i9, dt240 or 350 the hub can be pulled apart as a whole and the axle removes that way, any cartridge hub relies on the axle to tap the bearings out.

When I did it I cupped the hub in my left hand so my fingers were on the spokes and the bearing would drop into my palm, and made sure the screwdriver wasn't long enough to stab me in the hand. Just takes a few sharp taps, nothing really hard, and out it comes. If you need to overhaul the freehub you might want to have backup bearings because my experience is that they get contaminated and wear out first.
Old 01-17-24, 07:06 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Really helpful. Just to let you know, I'm asking here because I've been waiting for more than a week for their answer.
We knew that how?
Old 01-17-24, 10:23 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I had the non-disc version of this wheel. The axle was screwed together in the middle. Doesn't look like this is the same but I just thought it worth mentioning. I have to say, it wasn't a great design as the thread stripped, which meant that the axle was only being held together by the quick release.
Old 01-19-24, 01:14 AM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by jgwilliams
I had the non-disc version of this wheel. The axle was screwed together in the middle. Doesn't look like this is the same but I just thought it worth mentioning. I have to say, it wasn't a great design as the thread stripped, which meant that the axle was only being held together by the quick release.
I'll check if this is the case. It doesn't seem to be though. Looking through the hole the axle seems to be made of one piece and there's nowhere to grip to unscrew it.
Old 01-21-24, 09:19 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
I expect you could use appropriate sized sockets and a length of all-thread, nuts, washers to improvise a bearing puller. That should improve the bearing's chance of survival, by minimising shock loads, although if it's tight you might want to give it a little tappy tap tap for encouragement.
Old 01-29-24, 08:10 AM
Amt0571

Finally the tech support answered me. Once the endcap is removed, It should come out by pulling the FH with the bare hand... the problem is: it doesn't budge. I pulled as hard as I could without success. It doesn't move even a mm.

I have a couple of wheels that use the same system and they're really easy to remove... but not this one.

I'm thinking of using an old lockring, thread it into the freehub and clamp the lockring in a vice, but I'm worried that I may damage the freehub. Any better idea?