Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

The Old Putnam Trail

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-15, 08:13 AM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The Old Putnam Trail

How many of you use the "Old Putnam Trail"? It runs from Van Cortlandt Park north to the head of the South County Trailway. Presently it's a packed dirt trail that follows the old train line that was there. There is still evidence of the old tracks as you pass portions where the railroad ties stick into the trail. The trail also has its share of roots, small ditches, and other hazards. There was one massive ditch behind the lake that was impassable on a rainy day that was recently filled in with large gravel, that you can't ride on but can walk over. Sometimes there's enough room on the side to ride when it hasn't rained.

The trail is about a mile long and when dry I always felt it was a fun adventurous portion of my ride that made me glad I have a hybrid but have always felt the path need some fixing. There are some narrow section where passing opposite direction traffic is dangerous.

While having my morning coffee and playing on the internet I came across some info that not only is there a plan to fix the path there is a major fight over it.

It seems the Parks Department has a plan in place (with funding) to pave it. They want a paved bike lane and an earthen jogging lane and a two foot buffer. A real all the way fix it job. They don't want to be the weak link in a bigger plan. That trail leaves the park at the south end along the route of the Major Deagan Highway down the whole length of the Bronx. Using the Willis Ave Bridge and it's bike path you could hook up to the eastside greenways.

There are people who are opposed to this plan who don't want to see it paved they feel it would be bad for the wetlands in the park. They don't total oppose fixing the trail they just want a lot less done.

There will be a public meeting about this on Wednesday Nov. 18 at the YMHA in Riverdale.

Putnam Rail Trail, Van Cortlandt Park : NYC Parks

https://www.facebook.com/PutnamTrail?fref=nf

Save The Putnam Trail

https://www.riverdalenature.org/putnam-line-trail/

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/27/ny...fans.html?_r=0

https://nycc.org/message-board/advoc...le-ymwha/77384
Old 11-12-15, 02:53 PM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
I have ridden it. Even after many days without rain it is very muddy with slowly rotting railroad ties protruding from the soil around the edges (where you have to ride to avoid the puddles). I was on my touring bike running 32s and it was a mess by the end.

It looks like all parties are interested in some sort of resurfacing, whether asphalt, loose gravel, or a combination of both. Anything would be better than what is there now.

The photo from the last message board link says it all.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
puttrail_13june-1.jpg (100.1 KB, 57 views)
Old 11-12-15, 03:08 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I've used a few times to get to the South County Trailway. Hope they do some(any) improvement(s).
I think some runners and hikers are against any modifications; fearing it might get very crowded with
cyclists; commuters and weekend warriors.

Van Cortland Park, da Bronx by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 11-12-15, 07:33 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Ridden it twice but have never see standing water as in Truebloods photo, thus it wasn't terrible, even with mud in sections requiring riding on the sides of the trail. That just makes the problem (and trail)worse and wider.

Wouldn't mind seeing it paved, as well as a gravel hiking/running half. If they could dirt/gravel it so roadies could use it, that would be the best idea, as it would be a great extension of the SCT.
Old 11-12-15, 09:31 PM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Paved would be the easiest and least costly to maintain. Makes for easy access to the SCT much better then Broadway and McLean Ave
Old 11-14-15, 04:43 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I've done that trail at least 20 times now, on my road bike with 23c tires. It gets messy but I don't mind. I'm of the opinion they should leave it as is, or at most fill in the holes. Paving it would ruin the sense of isolation you have while riding it. Gravel tends to cut tires. I will say though that after starting in Brewster and riding the entire length of the N/S County Trail, it isn't what I want to be doing to go that last mile, although there are about 25 more miles for me to go to get home in Brooklyn.
Old 11-17-15, 01:39 PM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Not that this thread has shown much interest but I found out the meeting on the issue scheduled for tomorrow has been postponed. Very interestingly I ran into the borough Parks Commissioner on the trail today and had a nice conversation about it.
Old 11-17-15, 03:01 PM
wilfried

Bikes: Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20, Citi Bike

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrettsin
Not that this thread has shown much interest but I found out the meeting on the issue scheduled for tomorrow has been postponed. Very interestingly I ran into the borough Parks Commissioner on the trail today and had a nice conversation about it.
So, what did the Parks Commissioner have to say?
Old 11-17-15, 06:28 PM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Basically they were out there polling people on they're use of the trail. She took my name and number and gave me her business card. When I looked at it later it said she was borough Park Commis. Could have picked a better day! Cold Tuesday afternoon not many users out.

I did tell her I favored the plan to not only pave that part of the trail but also to expand south.

Last edited by Jarrettsin; 11-17-15 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-08-15, 02:21 PM
Chriscc63

Bikes: Schwinn World circa 1980. 2011 Cannondale Synapse 3 Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jarretsdon:
I have done this full trail several times and have a similar post;
Bronx To Brewster Century Rail Trail Ride

Its good to enlighten others about this great trail.
Old 12-08-15, 02:42 PM
Chriscc63

Bikes: Schwinn World circa 1980. 2011 Cannondale Synapse 3 Ultegra

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how could they even consider anything other than paving it?

Basically they were out there polling people on they're use of the trail. She took my name and number and gave me her business card. When I looked at it later it said she was borough Park Commis. Could have picked a better day! Cold Tuesday afternoon not many users out.

I did tell her I favored the plan to not only pave that part of the trail but also to expand south.
What? how could they even consider anything other than paving it? There is 45 miles of this trail north of Van C.P. that is paved and no one is complaining. Can you push a stroller thru gravel? can you jog in ankle deep mud and wood chips?

I was un aware of this meeting and would liked to have voiced my concern.

The parks currently maintaining of this section of the trail is terrible. For several years they have poured wood chips into the puddles, and now we have rotten bogs to walk thru. Leaving in the Rail road ties has been dangerous just to walk on let alone bike.

This trail should be a continuation of the South County Trail, both in style and substance.

Kudos Jarrettison for keeping us apprised.
Old 12-08-15, 09:15 PM
Lightingguy

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chriscc63
What? how could they even consider anything other than paving it? There is 45 miles of this trail north of Van C.P. that is paved and no one is complaining. Can you push a stroller thru gravel? can you jog in ankle deep mud and wood chips?

I was un aware of this meeting and would liked to have voiced my concern.

The parks currently maintaining of this section of the trail is terrible. For several years they have poured wood chips into the puddles, and now we have rotten bogs to walk thru. Leaving in the Rail road ties has been dangerous just to walk on let alone bike.

This trail should be a continuation of the South County Trail, both in style and substance.

Kudos Jarrettison for keeping us apprised.
i think the hikers and runners are OK with a general cleanup but preferred a surface other then asphalt. But that's just one user group and in general, cyclists prefer asphalt.

I agree it should be widened a bit and paved.
Old 12-09-15, 06:42 PM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Paved and extended south they already have the land up to where it meets active rail

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
putnam_rail_trail_map_lg.jpg (59.1 KB, 49 views)
Old 12-09-15, 08:47 PM
richard4993

Bikes: '80 Trek 710, '81 Trek 613, '82 Trek 613, '86 Trek 500, '87 Bridgestone MB2, '87 Specialized Rockhopper, '87 Schwinn Circuit, '88 Miyata 712, '89 Trek 400, '97 Trek 6000, '11 Trek Utopia, '13 Specialized Allez Race, '15 All City Macho Man

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So if they wanted to they may be able to send the trail almost as far as the Broadway Bridge.
Old 12-10-15, 08:24 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by richard4993
So if they wanted to they may be able to send the trail almost as far as the Broadway Bridge.
That was indeed the plan I had seen somewhere.

Conrail or MetroNorth or somebody, still uses the tracks south of W255th St.
Old 12-11-15, 07:19 AM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Yes that's the plan for now, and they have started the work of clearing that area south of the park. Even after 225th St you might meet active rail but there is still space you could run a trail all the way down.
Old 12-12-15, 07:10 PM
zacster

Maybe they should pave a piece of the golf course instead. The trail should stay as it is. With all the pavement in the city why can't one small section remain wild?
Old 12-12-15, 10:22 PM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Because that one small section is need to connect much larger sections it's in the corridor of the old trains. It not wild it's used to be a train track and now it's just a dirt path. As you said it cuts through a golf course and then alongside and under a highway. It far from being wild, stopped being wild when they built the railroad over a 100 years ago.
Old 02-16-16, 08:16 AM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
An update on the old Putnam Trail from a facebook page called Connect the Putnam Trail

Connect the Putnam Trail
February 10 at 10:33pm ·
Holy Cow . . . how have we not updated you with good news? Sorry, our fail. But thanks for your support.
Bronx Community Board 8 Parks Committee voted (a couple weeks ago) 7-1 to approve the Parks plan to . . . you know complete the Putnam Trail.
Tuesday night the CB8 full board voted 25-7 to approve the plan.
Tonight . . . the Bronx community board 7 (not adjacent to the trail, but adjacent to Van Cortlandt) voted 5-0 to approve the plan.
The opposition has showed up to all these meetings and have spouted the same contradictory lies. And they are getting absolutely hammered in the votes.
More later on this.

Also here is 2 articles about them spend money to also improve the Bronx River Greenway

Bronx River Greenway Gets a $10 Million Boost From TIGER | Streetsblog New York City

Score! Final Link of 23 Mile Bronx River Greenway to Receive $10 Million for Completion | Welcome2TheBronx?

And also one on them connecting the last small stretch of the South & North County Trailway

Astorino proposes $2.3M to complete 36-mile trailway

I would like to see all this done, these are trail I use often and I'm not alone. Any time I'm out there I see others so this has to be a interest to others.
Old 02-16-16, 12:42 PM
Steve B.

Thanks Jarrett

All good news. Having that completed section in Elmsford and not having to take Rt 9A will be really sweet.

SB
Old 02-19-16, 02:44 PM
zacster

I'll probably appreciate it when it is open, but I still liked it the way it was, even on my road bike.
Old 03-19-16, 09:16 AM
jodphoto

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Grand Prix fixie,85 League Fuji w/ flat bars, 87 Cannondale ST400, League Fuji Fixie, Raleigh Pursuit Fixie, 93 Cannondale M500, Kabuki Submariner 12, 90 Fuji Suncrest, Peugeot Mixte project

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I treasure the Van Cortland Park section of the Old Putnam rail trail. It is a link between the rail trails north of NY City and the Greenways of NY City itself. I ride this path on fixed gear road bikes all the time. I have 700c x 28/25 or 27 x 1 1/8 tires.

It is a challenge at times, when wet, but it is a pleasant short segment that I savor. It's narrow and one has to be careful and respectful of nature walking groups, children and occasional park rangers on horseback. Not to mention cyclists coming toward you or passing. This path is an acquired taste and I would miss it if it were turned into yet another featureless bike path that enabled tedious, self-entitled road Freds to ride too fast, screaming "on your left". There are enough of those paths, already.

If there were a way to widen the path, improve the drainage and keep it consistent with the railroad bed that is it's character now, I would welcome that solution.

But the plan which is on the board is an excellent one. There will be two lanes, one for pedestrians and another, paved, for bikes. There will be many trees planted and only a few removed. I guess it's a good compromise. But, I'll still miss the "Ol' Puddle."

Peace.

Last edited by jodphoto; 03-20-16 at 06:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-19-16, 04:26 PM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Made the mistake of cutting through there the day after a rain last week what a mess! Any improvement would be welcome. It's looking good for the plan to pave it. It keeps getting approved but there always seem like the another approval to get! Round and round it goes.

I'm starting to think it will take them forever to build it too.

I rode the Mosholu/Pelham Greenway out to Orchard Beach the other day. The part that cuts through Bronx Park is closed off for repair and the part out by the beach is still closed for repair. What takes so long?
Old 03-22-16, 07:17 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Made the mistake of cutting through there the day after a rain last week what a mess! Any improvement would be welcome. It's looking good for the plan to pave it. It keeps getting approved but there always seem like the another approval to get! Round and round it goes.

I'm starting to think it will take them forever to build it too.

I rode the Mosholu/Pelham Greenway out to Orchard Beach the other day. The part that cuts through Bronx Park is closed off for repair and the part out by the beach is still closed for repair. What takes so long?
I rode that trail with the Five Borough Bike Club years ago and it kicked my rear end! I had to end the ride early and take Metro North back home because of the pain.

I hope they put lights on the trail so you can ride at night. I would not be on the trail after dark.
Old 03-23-16, 08:32 AM
jodphoto

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Grand Prix fixie,85 League Fuji w/ flat bars, 87 Cannondale ST400, League Fuji Fixie, Raleigh Pursuit Fixie, 93 Cannondale M500, Kabuki Submariner 12, 90 Fuji Suncrest, Peugeot Mixte project

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steve,

Was it the Van Cortland Park path that you are referring to? What type of bike and what caused you pain? Just curious.

I agree that riding it in the dark is a bad idea. Paved, it should be way better at night with lights on your bike. I wonder if lighting the path itself will affect any nature which the opponents to the paving are trying to preserve. Also curiosity.

Last edited by jodphoto; 03-23-16 at 08:52 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.