Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living Wage or LCF Wage plus Qualifying Driving Credit?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-16, 05:20 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

What if minimum wage was set as an LCF wage and driving expenses were subsidized for those who could demonstrate need? That would mean employers could save money on wages and this would incentivize job-creation in areas/locations that are positioned to attract more LCF applicants, e.g. because they are near residential areas and/or transit lines.

Driving expenses could be reimbursed with a tax credit and/or required to be paid by employers in areas deemed LCF-untenable. This would be acceptable because of the money employers would be saving by setting minimum wage at a car-free level.

For 'us LCFers,' it would mean giving up the extra pay we get by saving on driving expenses while being paid equally to everyone who drives. But in return, an incentive would be created for employers to create jobs where more LCF applicants will apply.

Sorry that this topic is political, but I think it's worth considering how LCF-oriented wage laws could benefit both LCFers and businesses, while also ultimately costing us a little in lost wages. Would it be a worthwhile investment in winning over job-creators to LCF or would you prefer to keep living car-free at income levels set to pay employees to drive? (not that everyone is paid at a level that affords driving)
Old 08-18-16, 05:51 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Around here there already IS a thing similar to that... If a company wants/needs you to be at a certain place at a certain time, it the company vehicle that people drive. Doesn't matter if you have a vehicle or not, everyone gets to use the company vehicle...
Old 08-19-16, 12:12 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
A) I haven't had a minimum wage job since ... um ... let me think ... have I ever had a minimum wage job? Oh, I must have ... maybe when I was a teenager.

B) When I was "Living Car Free", which I did for a number of years when I lived in Manitoba, one of the incentives for me to be car free then was that I was getting paid a decent wage, and saving the money I might have spent on a motor vehicle so that I could travel. I would NOT have been happy if my employer had informed me that they were going to lower my wage because I didn't have motor vehicle expenses!!

C) This ...

Originally Posted by 350htrr
Around here there already IS a thing similar to that... If a company wants/needs you to be at a certain place at a certain time, it the company vehicle that people drive. Doesn't matter if you have a vehicle or not, everyone gets to use the company vehicle...
Plus if there isn't a company vehicle, and for some reason you have to use your own vehicle to get to the symposium in the next town, or to meet with a client across town, or to do a site visit, the company will reimburse your vehicle expenses for those trips. You submit your fuel slips etc., you get reimbursed. Happens all the time. Companies prefer that you use the company vehicle, of course, because it is just simpler.
Old 08-19-16, 03:01 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
B) When I was "Living Car Free", which I did for a number of years when I lived in Manitoba, one of the incentives for me to be car free then was that I was getting paid a decent wage, and saving the money I might have spent on a motor vehicle so that I could travel. I would NOT have been happy if my employer had informed me that they were going to lower my wage because I didn't have motor vehicle expenses!!
I haven't said anything about employers not paying people to save up money for the future, for vacations and/or otherwise. What I am talking about is the fact that many people are pushing for a 'living wage' these days, and the argument against it is that it raises business costs for employers, provokes inflation, etc. My point is that it would be a good compromise to having an LCF-wage instead of a 'living wage' and then employees and/or tax credits can subsidize driving for those who can demonstrate a need to drive. That way the people who really need to drive don't have to suffer in other areas, i.e. they get a 'living wage,' while employers are stimulated to create more jobs in LCF-friendly areas because they don't have to pay driving-subsidies there.

This says nothing about higher-than-minimum wages, except maybe that where there are more minimum-wage jobs, there are more higher paying jobs as well, typically, because managers are paid more and incentive pay is used to attract and retain employees who are valued more than their minimum wage counterparts.
Old 08-19-16, 06:54 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
you know, there is a clause in the FAQ about politics going in the P&R forum, and this thread is purely about politics in the sense that it's talking about government policy, laws, and regulations. I'm sorry, but this forum is about living car free and there is another forum for threads like this. I'm closing it, and if there are more threads or posts about this subject we can revoke the poster's privilege to post in this forum. Thanks for your consideration