Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Jamis Coda Sport

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Jamis Coda Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-17, 07:31 AM
yeoldebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jamis Coda Sport

I plan on buying a new Jamis Coda Sport. The usual problem, cant find one to try for size. I am 5'9'' tall with a 30 inch inseam on my pants. I am thinking a 17 inch would be right cause of the standover. On the other hand I think a 19 might be better. Standover would be no clearance but I would not want a bike that was too small. Anyone my size have a Coda? Also I want to be as upright as possible. Not sure if the 17 or 19 would give me that.
Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 12-30-17, 10:44 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
My adult son has the Coda Sport. he is 5'10-11" He tried both the 21 and 19 inch models and went with the 19 inch. He felt the slightly smaller size was more maneuverable in traffic and the slightly shorter reach put him more upright without changing out the stem. YMMV. His pant inseam is 30" in dress pants and 32" in jeans if that helps.

Edited: I talked to him today and he actually bought the 19" initially but it was stolen. He replaced it with the 21" as he felt a little cramped on the 19".

Last edited by linberl; 01-01-18 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-30-17, 11:14 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by yeoldebiker
I plan on buying a new Jamis Coda Sport. The usual problem, cant find one to try for size. I am 5'9'' tall with a 30 inch inseam on my pants. I am thinking a 17 inch would be right cause of the standover. On the other hand I think a 19 might be better. Standover would be no clearance but I would not want a bike that was too small. Anyone my size have a Coda? Also I want to be as upright as possible. Not sure if the 17 or 19 would give me that.
Thanks in advance for any input!
Standover is not the most important thing when sizing a bike. Reach is more important. You don't want to feel scrunched up or too stretched out when riding. A lot depends on how you are proportioned. If you have short legs and a long torso, or relatively longer legs. If your legs are short, you might actually need a somewhat larger bike for your height. I am a little over 5'8" and used to ride an 18" frame. When I switched to a larger frame at first it felt big, but a lot of the problems I had before like sore knees, neck and shoulders went away after I got fitted to my new bike.
Old 12-30-17, 12:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
buying a bike you cannot test ride because you have no jamis dealer?

is the dealer shipping it to you or are you looking to buy used?

Old 12-30-17, 02:45 PM
yeoldebiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 2 Jamis dealers near me. Neither stocks any Jamis bikes other than the plain Coda. Need to pay upfront for them to order it. Looking to buy new.
Old 12-30-17, 07:42 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I have 2 Jamis dealers near me. Neither stocks any Jamis bikes other than the plain Coda. Need to pay upfront for them to order it. Looking to buy new.
That is irritating. Not sure why they wouldn't stock the Coda Sport, which should be their most popular model, in 17 and 19" sizes, which are the most popular sizes. Frankly, though I often recommend the Jamis Coda Sport, in this case, a big advantage of buying locally; the ability to test ride before buying doesn't exist here. So unless the shop can find a way for you to test ride the Coda Sport in the sizes you are looking for, look elsewhere at other brands.

I would look for a bike shop that either has what you are looking for in stock, or one that will order without making you pay full price up front.
Old 12-30-17, 08:25 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
The geometry for the Coda vs Coda Sport looks similar, so you should still be able to take the Coda for a spin, and see how the two different sizes feel.

The effective top tube lengths look a bit short to me for a flat bar bike.
Size 17, ETT: 560
Size 19, ETT: 570
Size 23 (largest), ETT: 593

So, I'd probably go for the longer frame myself, but you also wanted an "upright" bike. The taller head tube helps a little bit to be "upright", but it will also stretch you out just a bit more.

The best bet would be to just go and try out the Codas, then decide if you like them well enough to special order the Coda Sport.

It is common to change the stem to whatever you prefer on a new bike, as well as adjusting the stem height.
Old 12-30-17, 08:56 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I am the same size as the OP and bought the Coda Comp 21 inch.
So I will tell OP to go with the larger of the 2 frames. 19 inch.
Old 01-03-18, 07:18 PM
yeoldebiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback guys!