Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bruised Elbow, Can’t Bike - What to Do?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-24, 05:35 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 34 Posts

First time in recent memory where I’ve had an injury that keeps me off the bike. Bone bruise on my elbow. I fell down a flight of stairs. Fortunately, nothing broken.

Pretty much any position on a road or MTB aggravates (and prolongs) the injury.

And right in the middle of training for a race in September.

Anyone had something similar happen? What did you do to maintain fitness?

Last edited by justonwo; 04-14-24 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-14-24, 05:47 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 275 Posts
Get into home landscaping full time.

And you get paid for it too.
Old 04-14-24, 05:48 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked 1,635 Times in 1,049 Posts
Elbows are tough. Exactly where is the bruise. Did you get an X-Ray. You could have a fat pad injury or a tendon separation. Either one is treated as a fracture. Of course the old rule is if you must use it then splint, and immobilize during operation.

I did once see a kid doing BMX with a Fat Pad injury to the elbow. He had a cast from armpit to wrist...
Old 04-14-24, 05:49 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Originally Posted by zandoval
Elbows are tough. Exactly where is the bruise. Did you get an X-Ray. You could have a fat pad injury or a tendon separation. Either one is treated as a fracture. Of course the old rule is if you must use it then splint, and immobilize during operation.

I did once see a kid doing BMX with a Fat Pad injury to the elbow. He had a cast from armpit to wrist...
It was x-rayed. Doc thought it was a bone bruise. No break. Going again on Tuesday to look for a hairline fracture but most likely just a bruised bone. Very tip or my elbow.
Old 04-14-24, 05:54 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3959 Post(s)
Liked 7,314 Times in 2,951 Posts
Originally Posted by justonwo
Rode a trainer ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-14-24, 06:01 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,833 Times in 1,545 Posts
walk, lift weights, bone bruises are pain....literally and in just having to let them have the time they need to heal

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 04-14-24, 07:41 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 874 Times in 492 Posts
I once rode about a hundred miles in the mountains next to a guy with one arm.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 04-14-24, 08:10 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8288 Post(s)
Liked 9,067 Times in 4,484 Posts
Last time I was off the bike I did some hiking in steep hills.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-14-24, 08:13 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,386 Times in 7,212 Posts
First time in recent memory where I’ve had an injury that keeps me off the bike. Bone bruise on my elbow. Pretty much any position on a road or MTB aggravates (and prolongs) the injury.

And right in the middle of training for a race in September.

...it's not hard to make an injury like this into a chronic injury. Given similar circumstances, I would thank the fates that I was not racing a bike for a living, and find some other form of exercise for a few months. People maintain a reasonable level of fitness jogging or swimming. Your physician will probably express a similar sentiment. I guess you could ride a trainer, but bike trainer sessions make me depressed, so the therapeutic value, for me, just isn't there.

Yes, I have had injuries that prevented cycling for a period of some months...even years once. It happens sometimes.
Old 04-14-24, 08:32 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked 1,635 Times in 1,049 Posts
...Very tip or my elbow.
You may be in the early stages of developing and olecranon bursitis. You really need to protect that elbow during your rides. Around my AO its a common injury fro Bull and Bronc competitors and takes months to heal. Quite possibly because those Cowboys continue to re-injure themselves. Get yourself a good heavy duty elbow immobilizer and treat that elbow as if its fractured wither you have a fracture or not. Steroid injections and Physical Therapy are also on the menu. Dont blow this off...
Old 04-14-24, 10:07 PM
justonwo

Originally Posted by zandoval
You may be in the early stages of developing and olecranon bursitis. You really need to protect that elbow during your rides. Around my AO its a common injury fro Bull and Bronc competitors and takes months to heal. Quite possibly because those Cowboys continue to re-injure themselves. Get yourself a good heavy duty elbow immobilizer and treat that elbow as if its fractured wither you have a fracture or not. Steroid injections and Physical Therapy are also on the menu. Dont blow this off...
It’s an acute injury from a fall. Not a chronic condition.
Likes For justonwo:
Old 04-14-24, 10:28 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Read a book.
Tim
Old 04-14-24, 11:04 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4394 Post(s)
Liked 3,018 Times in 1,867 Posts
It’s an acute injury from a fall. Not a chronic condition.
Though he might be exaggerating, acute injuries can into chronic conditions if they do not heal right. Follow doc's orders.

As to activities, can you run? Join a gym and ride a recumbent stationary bike?
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 04-15-24, 09:25 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Recently I dealt with plantar fasciitis several weeks back. The treatment was/is certain exercises and ice packs. Improved considerably.
Old 04-15-24, 09:39 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Pretty much any position on a road or MTB aggravates (and prolongs) the injury. And right in the middle of training for a race in September. Anyone had something similar happen? What did you do to maintain fitness?
If it truly is a bone bruise, it is easy to imagine that it hurts a lot but hard to imagine that riding a bike would prolong healing. September is 5 months away. Exactly what kind of race is this that doing something other than cycling would hurt your training? Consider going to a gym and riding an exercise bike no-handed. When I have been off the bike due to injury, I have walked.
Old 04-15-24, 09:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6203 Post(s)
Liked 4,817 Times in 3,323 Posts
If you are going to be off the bike long, consider a trainer or stationary bike. You can put a comfy saddle on it and sit very upright keeping without needing your arms on the bars. All the while spinning the cranks to maintain your cadence and keep your heart pumping the higher HR that it needs to keep your aerobic training. If you use your road bike in the trainer, you might need to slide the saddle all the way back to be able to sit comfortably upright and pedal with no hands.

For the few times I'll get on a trainer or stationary bike, I find that watching cyclocross races or other cycling races on youTube seem to keep my mind off the monotony of going nowhere.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-15-24 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-15-24, 11:42 AM
justonwo

Originally Posted by Iride01
If you are going to be off the bike long, consider a trainer or stationary bike. You can put a comfy saddle on it and sit very upright keeping without needing your arms on the bars. All the while spinning the cranks to maintain your cadence and keep your heart pumping the higher HR that it needs to keep your aerobic training. If you use your road bike in the trainer, you might need to slide the saddle all the way back to be able to sit comfortably upright and pedal with no hands.

For the few times I'll get on a trainer or stationary bike, I find that watching cyclocross races or other cycling races on youTube seem to keep my mind off the monotony of going nowhere.
What I may do is get some aero bars for my road bike/stationary bike, which I want for my gravel bike anyway. I'll use a very tall spacer stack so that the position is comfortable. I think that'll take all the pressure off my elbow. Sitting upright on my road bike may be too much of a challenge.
Old 04-15-24, 01:16 PM
apdogtown

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
trainer or at least some jogging?
Old 04-15-24, 02:18 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2498 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 523 Posts
What I may do is get some aero bars for my road bike/stationary bike, which I want for my gravel bike anyway. I'll use a very tall spacer stack so that the position is comfortable. I think that'll take all the pressure off my elbow. Sitting upright on my road bike may be too much of a challenge.
I'm not seeing how that helps, but, you do you. Not sure why you brought this to us if you are so determined to do it your way.
Old 04-15-24, 03:26 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 380 Posts
Put it in a sling and do trainer workouts to maintain fitness, just make sure you aren't aggravating the injury or prolonging recovery. The aim is to keep the fitness you got, hard to improve with an injury, I like to say patience or patient, you decide.

Last edited by wheelreason; 04-15-24 at 04:40 PM.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 04-15-24, 03:33 PM
justonwo

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I'm not seeing how that helps, but, you do you. Not sure why you brought this to us if you are so determined to do it your way.
Thanks for comments so far. Leisesturm , not sure I understand what you are getting at. I don't think I've expressed a strong opinion about what to do. Just looking for input from others who've been in a similar situation.

There are certain types of pressure that hurt my elbow. Resting my upper body weight on my forearms doesn't hurt the affected area. So yes, looking for advice, but also throwing out my own ideas.

I can't do regular trainer workouts on my road bike setup because the pressure on my elbow irritates the area. Not as much as being on an actual road, but enough to hurt. In terms of equipment available to me, my only other option may be a recumbent bike at the gym. Running is fine, but I can't run that far. Maybe a good time to cross-train though!

Last edited by justonwo; 04-15-24 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-15-24, 04:44 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 380 Posts
I would not recommend aero bars for someone with an elbow injury, but the Holiday Inn Express had no vacancies last night...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 04-15-24, 04:44 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Race walk. It's not riding but you can go impressively hard. Include hills. Just do the walk keeping your arms and upper body quiet, sorta like you can on a bike. (I spent a winter with my hand in a cast after breaking my thumb)

I didn't do any research on how to do it properly. (1978. Al Gore hadn't invented that internet thing yet.) Just concentrated on walking fast, under control and at a level of deep breathing. Worked. (I was taught to keep my upper body quiet when I started bike racing. Used the same philosophy walking. Thumb had no complaints at all.)
Old 04-15-24, 07:28 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 1,018 Posts
I've had both my hands operated on, and broke my shoulder and needed 5 ops to get it all sorted out, but while I could not ride on the road, I did setup aerobars and put my bike on the trainer. It was much easier to put the pressure on my forearms and I was able to ride, and also riding upright a little, I was able to keep riding pretty quickly, although, the shoulder issue, took more time to heal and allow me to get back on the bike. You might need to adjust your saddle position to account for the different position as I assume you are not riding a time trial bike.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-15-24, 09:26 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 412 Posts
I was lucky I bought a recumbent when the back osteoarthritis came big time and used it again with a wrist issue followed. It is still weird but still enjoyable good exercise.
Likes For easyupbug:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.