Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Kudos to TRP

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Kudos to TRP

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-14, 09:47 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Kudos to TRP

Or how to correspond with customer service. I've had TRP Hy/Rd brakes on my Volagi for a year or so having put them on shortly after their introduction. I really like the brakes, big improvement over BB7s, etc., etc., but brake choices are highly individual.

I found myself having to replace the pads on the rear brake. I do a good deal of work on my bike(s) and have a very supportive LBS. I followed all the directions and verified my approach through a conversation with my LBS, but I could not get the pistons to retract far enough to eliminate rubbing on the new pads.

I e-mailed TRP expressing my how much I liked their product and explained my issue. I received a response the following morning indicating that I likely had an early configuration and they would be sending replacement brakes. That same day I received confirmation of shipment.

I'm confident I could have worked out what I considered to be a minor issue and recognized at the time of purchase that I was an early adopter. TRP's response exceeded my expectations. It's possible a different tone in my e-mail might have led to a less satisfactory outcome.
Old 11-23-14, 07:07 AM
dave5339

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 700C, Rans Seavo tandem, Giant OCR-2 & a Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I just put a TRP Hy/Rd on the back of our tandem. Now if the weather would cooperate we could ride it and see how they work.

Semper Fi
Old 11-23-14, 08:07 AM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dave5339
My wife and I just put a TRP Hy/Rd on the back of our tandem. Now if the weather would cooperate we could ride it and see how they work.

Semper Fi
If my wife and I return to riding our tandem I'd try the TRP's on the back. The BB7s have been very reliable (on Volagi and daVinci), but the TRP Hy/Rd have superior modulation and no change in apparent braking effort over a long descent. I don't hesitate with the TRPs to use a smidge of braking when corner, something I wouldn't do with the BB7s.
Old 11-23-14, 09:16 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I've used TRP CX9 brakes on my various commuters the last five years. I love them. I lost on of the small adjustment screws and TRP and my LBS didn't have one that would fit. They contacted TRP and had one for me within the week. That was above what most companies would do IMO. They make quality products and appear to have above average customer service.
Old 11-23-14, 12:00 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Good customer support. There were several issues with customers and mechanics adjusting the early HyRd brakes incorrectly leading to complete failure of the brakes. The new version made that adjustment impossible, thus eliminating the possibility of the failure. Sounds like they are doing a soft recall.
Old 11-23-14, 05:27 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I got a Spyre for my NoCom last spring. When I had a minor issue with it, I wrote the customer service and got a very quick response. I've been very happy with the unit AND the customer service.
Old 06-26-15, 09:10 AM
EDawg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings! I would like some feedback from those of you with experience using TRP HYRD brakes. About three months ago I purchased a new bike (2015 Jamis Bossanova) that came stock with these brakes. I had high expectations for the brakes, but have been very disappointed in their performance thus far. After a couple hundred miles both brakes started to chatter and vibrate significantly, even at low speeds (actually especially at low speeds). I simply could not bring the bike to a stop without the front wheel shaking and the rear brake making some unnerving sounds and vibration. I brought the bike to the store where I purchased it, and TRP promptly sent replacement pads for both brakes, and an upgraded rotor for the front. After that, braking improved, but not to the performance I expected. Now, after a few hundred more miles, the problems are returning. Both brakes make a high-pitched squeal under light braking, and they shudder and vibrate before bringing the bike to a stop. I've read many reviews saying the HYRDs are a step up from BB7, etc., but so far for me, they have been no better than the old Weinmanns on my old bike. My bike is back in the shop now for an unrelated repair, and I asked them to check the brakes again. Hopefully they can come up with something. Does anyone have any similar experience or suggestions? Thanks!
Old 06-26-15, 10:12 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Sight unseen , and generic to disc brakes

the bedding in of the New pads is user not manufacturer controlled..
then there is the pad glazing and general dirt/grime on the disc to need maintenance, perhaps under done?

Need low maintenance? I found S-A drum brakes to offer that ..
Old 06-26-15, 10:29 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
My old BB7 squealed in the wet, but that's the worst problem I've had with any disc brakes.

I have Spyres, not HyRds. Still some things are universal with discs. First, it might not be the disc brakes. It might be the hub or the fork/headset. Make sure there's no play anywhere, including where the caliper mounts to the fork. Discs put a lot of stress on the fork, because all braking force is transmitted through the caliper/mount, which would accentuate anything loose. If it is the calipers, it will likely be because the pads are loose. I'm not sure what might cause that. Make sure the return springs have enough tension and that the pads fit in the caliper reasonably tightly.

From what I've seen, TRP is very pro-active to keep customers happy, but don't mistake their willingness to throw parts at your problem as a validation that that's the problem. I think you and/or the shop need to determine exactly what's going on before proceeding.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 06-28-15 at 07:06 PM.