Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Presta Valve Problem

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Presta Valve Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-23, 07:42 AM
jonb5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Presta Valve Problem

I have a real problem pumping up tires with a Presta valve, I just can't get the hang of it.

I've tried using a vertical pump with an opening for both Presta and Schrader valves, when I use the Presta opening the first time I push down on the pump, air seems to go into the tire but then the pump seems to block itself as if the tire is fully pumped even though it's not.

I've tried using the vertical pump with a Presta valve adapter and it just deflates before I can get any air into the tire.

I've tried using a small hand pump with the Presta valve adapter, which works to a point, but still doesn't get enough air into the tire for me to ride the bike.

I've had the problem on different bikes with Presta valves, the vertical pump also works absolutely fine on bikes with Schrader valves.

I just don't know where I'm going wrong, I always open up the valve and touch the top to let out a bit of air, I've watched YouTube videos and they don't seem to do anything different.

The tires on my bike are Continental Grand Prix Season 700 X 23, would they be compatible with Schrader valves? Would I get enough air into them to avoid pinch flats?

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Old 06-24-23, 07:47 AM
saulgoldie

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
The technique can be a little tricky until it finally "clicks" in your mind, and suddenly it is easier for the duration. Get some help from someone who knows how to do it. Perhaps Youtube has some videos.

Saul
Old 06-24-23, 07:53 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by jonb5
I have a real problem pumping up tires with a Presta valve, I just can't get the hang of it.

I've tried using a vertical pump with an opening for both Presta and Schrader valves, when I use the Presta opening the first time I push down on the pump, air seems to go into the tire but then the pump seems to block itself as if the tire is fully pumped even though it's not.

I've tried using the vertical pump with a Presta valve adapter and it just deflates before I can get any air into the tire.

I've tried using a small hand pump with the Presta valve adapter, which works to a point, but still doesn't get enough air into the tire for me to ride the bike.

I've had the problem on different bikes with Presta valves, the vertical pump also works absolutely fine on bikes with Schrader valves.

I just don't know where I'm going wrong, I always open up the valve and touch the top to let out a bit of air, I've watched YouTube videos and they don't seem to do anything different.

The tires on my bike are Continental Grand Prix Season 700 X 23, would they be compatible with Schrader valves? Would I get enough air into them to avoid pinch flats?

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Make sure that the Presta valve is unscrewed all the way out, not just loosened a couple of turns. I've experienced the symptoms you describe when I was in a hurry and didn't open the valve fully. Just an idea.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 06-24-23, 07:58 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Typically, just in case this could be the issue, with most pump heads, you are not supposed to actually install it so far down on the valve stem that you're pushing down on the top of the valve at all. You just put the pump down far enough where the seal will mate with the side of the valve stem.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 06-24-23, 08:25 AM
Jimriides
NotaNewbie

Bikes: Cannondale FSI - Cannondale R1000 - Firestone Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Pressa troubles

Sometimes my valves stick. Use your finger to give it a quick push down, then it will take air easily.
Likes For Jimriides:
Old 06-24-23, 10:29 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 5,652 Times in 2,924 Posts
Like what Jim has stated, after I fully unscrew the ‘nut’, then I give the valve a quick push to release a tiny bit of air to make sure the valve isn’t stuck. If you try pumping and no air seems to enter the tube/valve, give the valve a little shake and sometimes that’s enough to loosen the valve so you can get air in. you may hear a subtle click.

Old 06-24-23, 10:49 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimriides
Sometimes my valves stick. Use your finger to give it a quick push down, then it will take air easily.
Though OP indicated he already does this:

"I just don't know where I'm going wrong, I always open up the valve and touch the top to let out a bit of air, I've watched YouTube videos and they don't seem to do anything different."
Old 06-24-23, 11:12 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts

Thanks
Tires don't care about what valve you have but the hole in a rim for a presta valve is too small for a Schrader valve
Old 06-24-23, 11:18 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,777 Posts
Absent a video of the OP using the valve, or someone on-site who can accurately describe what’s happening, I doubt we can give the OP any meaningful advice.
Old 06-24-23, 11:39 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 5,447 Times in 2,769 Posts
I push down on the pump, air seems to go into the tire but then the pump seems to block itself as if the tire is fully pumped even though it's not.
This is just the pump and hose being pressurized and indicates the valve is not open. Probably you just need the release more air than a tap once you've unscrewed the valve. Try releasing air until the tire is flat or almost flat, then try your floor pump. That will give you an idea of how it should operate. You'll get the hang of it.
Old 06-24-23, 12:23 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Almost sounds like the air chuck on the pump isn't installed correctly on the valve and is blocking the air flow when trying to use the pump. Get a pump that has an air hose and an air chuck with a lever that locks and holds it in place while pumping or even better get a pump with an air hose that screws on the valve.
Old 06-24-23, 01:08 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Here are my mistakes and their remedies.

1) the handpump had a direct solid connection with the chuck. I would break a lot of valve stems that way. Get a pump, hand pump or floor pump with a flexible hose and let it flex as you pump.

2) I used to thread the adapter onto only the top set of threads. Those threads are actually for the dust cap. So when I pumped, some of the air would go in but most would leak out. Thread the adapter to the bottom set of threads but not too far. You want the internal stem to reach its fully extended position when you're drawing back or releasing the chuck. When you're unscrewing the adapter, be careful not to have anything touch the valve core or you'll be releasing air. It's very sensitive to lateral movement.

Last edited by Daniel4; 06-26-23 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-24-23, 02:24 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
sounds like the air chuck on the pump isn't installed correctly on the valve and is blocking the air flow when trying to use the pump.
My guess as well. One other possibility (if this is just one valve causing problems) is that the valve is sticking. A little bit of silicone oil down the valve stem will fix this. Note not to use petroleum oil as that can rot the inner tube.
Old 06-24-23, 03:04 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,682 Posts
Go to your favorite local bike shop. (Might be best to call ahead to ask when they're likely to be less busy. Or just go on soon after they open.) Almost anyone who works there will be able to show you proper Presta valve technique.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-26-23, 06:36 AM
jonb5

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I'm still struggling to get the hang of pumping up the tires.

I'll have to take the bike to a bike shop and see if they can give me a demonstration.
Likes For jonb5:
Old 06-27-23, 06:33 AM
beng1
Banned

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
I just drilled a bikes rims out and put the nice fat Schrader tubes in it, problem solved. I have done this to every bike I possible could for years. The easier cycling is and the more BS free it is the more fun it is and the more you want to ride. That is the reason I built my single-speed coaster-braked Schrader-valved, flat-pedaled road bike. I am free......

Likes For beng1:
Old 06-27-23, 06:44 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
I just drilled a bikes rims out and put the nice fat Schrader tubes in it, problem solved. I have done this to every bike I possible could for years. The easier cycling is and the more BS free it is the more fun it is and the more you want to ride. That is the reason I built my single-speed coaster-braked Schrader-valved, flat-pedaled road bike. I am free......
This is still a “you” problem. An overwhelming number of people don’t have issues with Presta valves.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-27-23, 08:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Hard to tell you what you might be doing wrong trying to inflate your tires. I think that's probably because few of us have ever really had any issues inflating them.

Presta and Schrader don't work the same. You don't need to push the air chuck down very far at all on the valve stem with presta's. But even if you were doing that, I can't think why they'd act like you describe.

Perhaps you'd be better off demonstrating it in front of someone at a bike shop and then seeing if they experience the same thing when they try to pump up your tires or if they do something just a tad differently than you.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-27-23 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-27-23, 08:18 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
You said you are using a Presta "adapter". This might be the problem. Use a pump head designed for Presta valves. If it is worn out it won't stay on. Don't drill your rims.
Old 06-27-23, 08:24 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Always fill PV's directly with a PV specific chuck.

No crappy "adapters". This is a hack that always never works.

No crappy Walmart pumps that claim to be PV/SV compatible. Most of them try to grip on by ballooning rubber around the PV.

Do things half-arsed and improper, don't expect things to work.
Old 06-27-23, 08:25 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
People have already given him the standard advice.

He should go to a shop (like he said) or have some one knowledgeable look at what he is doing.
Old 06-27-23, 09:05 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
The tires on my bike are Continental Grand Prix Season 700 X 23, would they be compatible with Schrader valves?
some ppl drill out the hole to fit a schrader valve. the size difference is insignificant. easy enough, but it's not for everyone. got pics of your wheel, at the valve?

these are mine

like I said, the conversion isn't for everyone, but if you lose your patience, even w/ personal guidance at a shop, ask them what they think about converting yours
Old 06-27-23, 09:07 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,777 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
No crappy "adapters". This is a hack that always never works.
I agree with most all of your other thoughts, but adapters work just fine--even the cheapie screw-on ones.
Old 06-27-23, 09:35 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3152 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
As someone else mentioned earlier, in this situation, it may be the pump head is not functioning properly, and the valve which switches between the schrader nozzle and the presta nozzle is sticking. Given this pump is probably the best inflation solution of the three you mention, I’d take the advice to try a squirt of silicone lube in the pump head to see if you can’t get it working properly.

By “vertical pump” I think you’re referring to what’s most commonly called a “floor pump.” Assuming this is the same floor pump you were trying to use the presta nozzle on, it seems like an adapter on the presta valve to use the schrader nozzle would work. I frankly don’t understand how the tire deflating “before you can get any air in” explains at all whether the pump can inflate the tire, let’s assume here that it does but then deflates after you remove the pump head. In this case, I’d look at the valve pin and make sure it’s straight and not bent, because if bent, it could be that when screwing on the adapter, you’re also depressing the pin, opening the valve. You can straighten it with your fingers, or gently with pliers.[/QUOTE]

First, it basically sounds like you’re giving up because the hand pump is hard to work. Get a better hand pump, but know they all take some strength and endurance to use. Second, if the adapter works with the hand pump but not the floor pump, it may be that the check valve in the floor pump has failed; does the pump work on anything else? If yes, it’s most likely the switching valve in the pump head which is inop as described in my first reply.

Ah, well this strongly suggests you’re simply doing something wrong. It could be that both the switching valve on the pump is fouled *and* you’re improperly screwing on the adapter (perhaps due to a bent pin), but it seems a bit unlikely that those things are happening simultaneously given you generally have presta problems.

I think the best thing you can do is to take your wheel and your pump to someone who knows what they’re doing and have them show you. Ideally it’s your local bike shop, but maybe it’s an experienced friend. There’s really no special skills or tricks which need employed to inflate a presta tube, so it may be your pumps are rubbish, so it will be best if the person you go to is a pro or at least an experienced amateur tech with specific experience with bicycles and presta valves.
Old 06-27-23, 11:18 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 667 Posts
what I'm thinking is that the rubber grommet in the pump head is worn or not gripping the valve stem.

so you're always going to have air leaking out of the pump head.

on quality pumps this part is replaceable, on cheap ones, forget it

Sometimes you can tighten the collar on the pump head to give the pump head a little more "bite"

/markp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.