Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Flat Paddle Pedals on a Road Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Flat Paddle Pedals on a Road Bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-23, 12:22 AM
danallen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
I ride with VP Vice on all my bikes, including my road bike, without reservation or restriction. I currently wear Altra Lone Peak trail shoes whose soft rubber cleated soles allow for permanent indentations from the pins of the pedals. (My feet are size 14, I ride 150mm cranks and place my feet nearer midfoot than ball of the foot.) My feet are effectively "in place" where I want them without being restricted/attached and without slipping, and yes I can spin out as fast as possible without ever losing my feet. I've never had my feet slip regardless of the effort. What I like the best is the Altra shoes are so much more anatomic and comfortable for my feet. Nobody makes a cleated shoes like that. I cringe at all the cramped feet I experienced with cleated shoes dating back when I bought the original Look and then Time shoes and pedals in the mid/late 80's. But still, the shoes and their ill fit were constricting, and feet should never be that. While they are better designed shoes today from the likes of Bont and all, they're still rock hard road shoes. A stiff sole isn't necessarily a best one. Wearing comfortable shoes on the bike and being able to walk around normally is the best thing ever.

I'd say your experience with unattached compared to attached ones is all about the technique/ability of the rider in conjunction with selecting a suitable pedal for that rider and shoes that will offer the proper grip. Having ridden rollers for a long time I became familiar with every nuance of bodily movement on the bike, especially the lower half. There isn't anything a clipless pedal can offer me now that I don't already have with the setup I have. One thing for sure, clipless pedals allow for any technique. That's a good thing for some, not so good for others.
Interesting comments. I am hung up on your crank arms. 150 mm sounds short. Do you have short legs. My legs are short and all my crank arms are around 172mm
Old 10-07-23, 12:25 AM
danallen

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
What problem did you imagine? Pedals are pedals, until you find that they don't provide you something you need or desire.

Then you might need to figure out what other type pedal will solve that need or desire.
The main risk I foresaw was its large perimeter making likely to scrap the road when peddling around a turn
Old 10-07-23, 04:46 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
I use these, made out of Magnesium, with a titanium spindle
Likes For ussprinceton:
Old 10-07-23, 05:55 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by danallen
Interesting comments. I am hung up on your crank arms. 150 mm sounds short. Do you have short legs. My legs are short and all my crank arms are around 172mm
My legs measure 36.5" inside floor or the crotch bone, about average for my height of 74.5". I didn't come to ride my setup overnight but is a refinement of lots of trials. Neither conventional crank length or foot placement theories added up for me, so I decided to venture out and explore what would work for me. Long story short, I found the key to riding shorts cranks with long legs and large feet is in foot placement on the pedal, (more towards the mid foot), and the key to riding more midfoot is in riding shorter cranks. A complimentary match made in heaven ! This I found, offers me the best of both worlds, of both long and short cranks. I have optimal usable leverage, plus optimal ease and speed of rotation. If I ride with short cranks on the balls of my feet then yes it feels awkward, as does riding long 185mm cranks with my feet placed midfoot.

All of that has nothing to do with riding flat pedals on a road bike of course ! Regardless of where you place your feet as long as you select shoes that the pedals can grip and pedals that can grip the shoes, you're good to go.
Old 10-07-23, 06:09 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Don't be an expletive? Yes, the product is designed for a specific purpose (often) but ... the engineers who design the product are, in most companies, not the ones who make the decisions on anything written associated with that product. That's often marketing and the legal team. The engineers often have input but rarely the final say. And more than occasional, those labels leave the engineers shaking their heads.
Have you ever been a product design engineer? Have you ever seen a road pedal marketed as an mtb pedal or vice-versa?
Old 10-07-23, 07:01 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
I thought its been found that the foot clips do not increase efficiency, contrary to what has been common belief.

In college, I had a road bike with cages wrapping my feet. I was sure I was getting extra power out of those pedals, because I would pull up on the pedals during the backside portion of the pedal stroke. In those days, I did not have trouble getting my foot out quickly enough. That was 40 years ago. When I got the bike I have now, I started out with similar pedal cages but found when the bike is going down, it goes down FAST, so I had to adjust.
By whom? Flat earthers?
Likes For eduskator:
Old 10-07-23, 07:12 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
My wife has big Deity platform mountain pedals on her road bike (despite being an Atheist).

The one situation where they become problematic is off-road, where she gets pedal strikes. She has 165mm crank arms, but that isn't enough.

I was thinking of getting some smaller child-sized platforms, or small Spank Spoons, to see if that might help.

FWIW, I find it is easier to release from 2-bolt cleats than it is to pull my 5-10s free of the spikes on flat pedals. Also, spikes on flat pedals restrict float.
If she's used to clipping in, she should spend a lot of time getting used to platform pedals before riding off-road with them. It's all too easy to scar the front of the shins with a pedal in a panic stop. Shin guards might be worth thinking about.

Not sure how platform pedals would mitigate the problem of pedal strikes, though
Old 10-07-23, 09:41 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I sure hope there's no problem!! Flats with pins is what I've been using for over a decade on my road (and mtn) bike.
If after 10 years you found no problem, most likely there is no problem!
Old 10-07-23, 09:53 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Pinned flat pedals are definitely not for me on a road bike. Always have to hunt around for the right foot placement, need to be careful not to come off and get shin or calf gouged out. I use them begrudgingly when I dabble in actual mountain biking, where the trade-off for me is between those downsides vs. breaking an ankle. The worst part is my muscle memory is to twist before taking my foot off the pedal, which doesn't work with grippy pins and soles.

OP must be running some crap tires at way too high pressure if they are frequently sliding out. Having to put a foot down to avoid crashing is the territory of high speed cornering in CX and gravel, not typical road/commuting situations.
Likes For surak:
Old 10-07-23, 05:59 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I like pinned flats exactly because I can change foot position. I often have knee pain due to arthritis; usually I can find a pain-free position bu moving my foot around.
Old 10-07-23, 07:15 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
By whom? Flat earthers?
Outside of sprint situations, clipless performance advantages are negligible. GCN did a couple of videos on the subject. Some trainers say to not consciously pull up and push down on the pedals, rather push forward at the top and pull back at the bottom, you can easily do that with some flats with pins.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 10-08-23, 05:21 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
While it's true that you only get a real improvement in sprint performance and very short efforts like a minute anaerobic full up effort up a short hill... "just sprint power"

Good luck racing without that, even at the level of smashing it on a group ride for bragging rights. The sub 1 minute stuff is a significant part of your performance envelope and it's silly to ignore it. Lose the group on a sharp short climb, your FTP isn't important, you are finishing after them with the next group or stragglers.

​​​​​Sure, got flats on my commuter / gravel bike, also have a power meter on it, can confirm FTP is the same but sub 1 min and especially sprint isn't). Road pedals will assist you get the maximum performance from your road bike and it has been thoroughly proven.

"Only" sprint power, it isn't insignificant 😉

Last edited by Branko D; 10-08-23 at 05:31 AM.
Old 10-08-23, 07:45 AM
Point

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Outside of sprint situations, clipless performance advantages are negligible. GCN did a couple of videos on the subject. Some trainers say to not consciously pull up and push down on the pedals, rather push forward at the top and pull back at the bottom, you can easily do that with some flats with pins.
The “pulling up on the pedals” belief will never go away, despite evidence to the contrary. In addition to the GCN videos that are easily accessed, people should read thei actual scientific papers on the subject.
Old 10-08-23, 07:45 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
While it's true that you only get a real improvement in sprint performance and very short efforts like a minute anaerobic full up effort up a short hill... "just sprint power"

Good luck racing without that, even at the level of smashing it on a group ride for bragging rights. The sub 1 minute stuff is a significant part of your performance envelope and it's silly to ignore it. Lose the group on a sharp short climb, your FTP isn't important, you are finishing after them with the next group or stragglers.

​​​​​Sure, got flats on my commuter / gravel bike, also have a power meter on it, can confirm FTP is the same but sub 1 min and especially sprint isn't). Road pedals will assist you get the maximum performance from your road bike and it has been thoroughly proven.

"Only" sprint power, it isn't insignificant 😉
Outside of competitive racing, there isn’t much advantage to clipless pedals. I still prefer them on my road bike, but I don’t have any issues producing sufficient anaerobic efforts on my mountain bike with pinned flat pedals and grippy mtb shoes. I find that having the right gear range for the slope is more important. When I went from clipless to flat pedals on my mountain bike I didn’t see any loss of performance. I made the change initially out of curiosity, but never felt the need to go back.

Few people are regularly making full bore sprint efforts out on the road where they might exceed the limits of a good flat pedal. Crit racing is probably the exception and all those racers will be clipped in as a matter of course. If your racing events are more endurance based then losing the very top end of your sprint power is not going to be a big deal. But I still prefer clipless road pedals and shoes and don’t find it difficult to unclip. Walking in cleats is less than ideal, but I don’t walk far when I’m road biking.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-08-23, 08:11 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
There were granfondos I was in - the definition of endurance group racing (you pin a number, it's timed, and even if you aren't going to be on the podium, you'll compare your time to your mates, which makes it a "competitive" race) - where hanging with the group for a single sharp climb or not was the determining factor which group you're going to end with. Whatever your sprint and anaerobic power is, you will improve it on the road where grip and so on isn't an issue with clipless. My point is, there's a good reason why a certain type of pedal is sold as a road pedal and people who try to justify their perfectly valid choice to use flat pedals by saying it doesn't matter are simply wrong.
​​​​​​
​​​​​

Last edited by Branko D; 10-08-23 at 08:15 AM.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 10-08-23, 11:00 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Thank you for letting me know that certain clis do not hinder foot release.

The occasions where I use my feet usually is where a tire is sliding across the road, and the bike will go down if I don't save it with my leg. This sliding happens in web spots i don't notice or an odd shape in the surface of the road, like a little cliff of pavement were works has been going on.
If your tires are sliding across slick spots so frequently that you have to plan your pedal decision around the issue, then yeah I get it.
...at the same time, perhaps you should look into riding routes that aren't so slick you are afraid you will crash?
...or buy some better tires?
...or don't ride thru perpetually slick spots?

I can't imagine road riding conditions where I am constantly concerned I will lose traction on my tires. That has to be really unnerving.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-08-23, 01:07 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Only drawback of them is you can't pedal through corners as much but that's no big deal.
​​​​​​
This would be the critical bit for me, and warrants checking out when first mounting a pair to find that limit. Touching down in mid-corner is a special treat (wonder how many plastic Campy pedal caps I went through back in the day?).

Also, I wonder how much they savage the shin when accidentally spun back into the leg? I occasionally do this and certain pedals have me bleeding impressively.
Old 10-13-23, 07:11 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Read The Midlife Cyclist, or, at the very least read this review of the book.

Book Review: The MidLife Cyclist by Phil Cavell – The Cycling Independent

Since I bought it I read it constantly. Mr. Cavell knows bikes and people and how they interface and can explain that clearly. Since reading this I ride flat pedals on my off road bikes, my single speeds and on my road bikes.

I feel this has improved my cycling performance and my enjoyment of riding.

Knee pain I had is gone, I can get off the bike and do a hike or walk down to see the view when cycling the mountains..

His detailed explanation of why the theory of peddle lift using clips is anatomically impossible.is very interesting, His writings on cycling have the ring of truth to them.

Last edited by bykemike; 10-13-23 at 07:17 PM.
Likes For bykemike:
Old 10-14-23, 02:49 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by bykemike
Read The Midlife Cyclist, or, at the very least read this review of the book.

Book Review: The MidLife Cyclist by Phil Cavell – The Cycling Independent

Since I bought it I read it constantly. Mr. Cavell knows bikes and people and how they interface and can explain that clearly. Since reading this I ride flat pedals on my off road bikes, my single speeds and on my road bikes.

I feel this has improved my cycling performance and my enjoyment of riding.

Knee pain I had is gone, I can get off the bike and do a hike or walk down to see the view when cycling the mountains..

His detailed explanation of why the theory of peddle lift using clips is anatomically impossible.is very interesting, His writings on cycling have the ring of truth to them.
What you can do is remove any inefficient weighting from your rising foot without losing its position on the pedal.

I have no problem with someone using flats on a road bike, but can’t imagine riding properly without cleats myself. I use spd/flat flippers on my commuting bike and Looks on my gravel and road bikes. As the OP managed to deal with the horror show of foot clips, I’d expect he’d easily handle clipping out quickly when needed. But as above, that frequency of tyres sliding out sounds very alarming. I’ve fallen 5 times (in total and also that were too fast to unclip and flats would not have helped) in 12 years. 2 of those were my fault from handling / awareness mistakes, 2 were on ice (yeah I shouldn’t have gone out so really falls into category one) and once was a driver’s fault.

Last edited by choddo; 10-14-23 at 03:09 PM.
Likes For choddo:
Old 10-14-23, 07:46 PM
88ss

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts
I did a couple thousand miles this year on road-bikes with flat pedals. It is a popular belief that clipless pedals/shoes are a big advantage over flat pedals, but that is all it is, a belief. Also, the only time I hit the ground this year was when my clipless equipment did not release when I needed it to at very low speeds and I fell over on pavement, gravel etc.. Next season I may use flats exclusively. It is really nice to just jump on a bike and go and not have to mess with clipless equipment, and then there is it's cost which like everything else is getting ridiculous.
Likes For 88ss:
Old 10-14-23, 11:42 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Having ridden clipless (SPD-SL) for almost a year now, another advantage is less energy wasted compressing the soles of my shoes per pedal stroke.

I am now so used to clipless that I am about to install clipless (SPD) on my gravel bike too. I do not ride on really gnarly terrain.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 10-15-23, 05:48 PM
andydallas

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I just spent over a month on flat pedals because of a broken big toe (not broken on bike but I keep re-breaking it on the bike), my podiatrist and i agreed that I could use flat pedals after the bone starting growing back, having the pressure on the balls of your feet and unclipping were what was causing the re=breaking.

I have never been so happy to get back to clipless. Yes, for me there was a big difference, your foot felt more secure and locked in, and yes my speed did increase back some after going back to cllipless (I was off the bike totally for nearly a month, so I was a little slower in general, but when I went back to clipless my speed increased nearly .5 mph compared to tennis shoes and flat pedals.

Of course part of it is the much stiffer soul of my bike shoes compared to tennis shoes, but all I know is a MUCH better connection to the bike with clipless compared to flat pedals
Old 10-15-23, 08:13 PM
cweb99

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts
Would you put 35 inch tires on a Lamborghini?
Old 10-16-23, 07:08 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Is there any problem running a pedal like this one on a road bike?

A problem? No not at all. Retention is good enough for mtb and its very comfortable if the pins are not too tall (most are imo, but options are available). They are great for urban riding with the occasional red light etc. and you can wear almost any shoe you like, on and off the bike. Of course ppl will flame you and claim you be slow, slip off the pedal and die, or what ever, but it really isnt true. Been riding flats for a looong time and see no real benefit to clipless in a casual/exercise application. The downsides are real tho. ppl do fall over and hurt themselves. I like the shimano xt flat with short pins.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 10-16-23, 08:08 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 453 Posts
I just use lightweight nylon pedals on my Litespeed Tuscany & Vortex. they work fine for my casual riding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.