Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Handlebar Tape Suggestions for People Who Don't Wear Gloves?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-23, 02:18 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts

I just bought a low end Raleigh Capri for riding around town. It's actually pretty decent but my expectations for $70 weren't high.

​​​​​​The neon green handlebar tape has got to go though. Plus it is very thin. Feels like I'm riding bare bar.

I had great tape on a Motobecane Giro that I just sold but I can't find where it came from.

Its nice and thick and had like gel "dots" on it for lack of a better word. It was very comfortable so if I could find it I'd be thrilled. If my description makes no sense then I'll take suggestions as well.
Old 10-15-23, 02:24 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Ergon gravel. Or ergon allroad.

The gravel tape is thicker than the allroad tape.

This is the allroad tape, I love it ! Grippy but not to tacky.

Likes For Metieval:
Old 10-15-23, 06:58 PM
RoadWearier

I like it! Looks good.
Old 10-15-23, 07:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Any used handlebar tape has to go right away on a used bike. You have no idea what could be lurking underneath. I have a horror story bike in my shop that has more white powder than Rick James' house and tons of holes from corrosion luckily he didn't get hurt but it is disgusting and dangerous luckily we are replacing the bars and everything but bar tape soaks in sweat and holds it next to your bar and I don't know about anyone else but the idea of gripping someone else's sweat for long periods of time is just wrong.

Ergon is the way to go for just about everything. I love their grips, the saddle I am testing out has been great and their bar tape looks and feels good (though I haven't had a chance to ride it yet but will probably end up swapping to it for my next wrap job). If not that my hands have loved the Lizard Skins DSP 3.2 tape but they have a thicker version now as well.

Wear gloves though even if thin gloves without padding. The reason is not for comfort but in case you crash you will likely use your hands to cushion the fall and could easily end up scraping the up badly I would rather destroy a $20 pair of gloves (or even higher priced pair) then my hands which I use for a lot of different things and couldn't imagine them being torn up and cut up and having to heal for weeks and weeks.
Old 10-15-23, 07:12 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
I'll change out bar tape in a heart beat. It's no biggy to me. Lately I have needed more padding. Here is my favorite...

Amazon
Old 10-15-23, 09:06 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by zandoval
I'll change out bar tape in a heart beat. It's no biggy to me. Lately I have needed more padding. Here is my favorite...

Amazon
Wow that's a great price! Does it have thick padding?
Old 10-15-23, 10:44 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
...Does it have thick padding?
Fairly thick and durable too, but I also wear gloves. I am fighting osteoarthritis in my thumbs and wrists. If I need more padding I will run a base layer of "Wire Loom Harness Cloth Tape", also cheap on Amazon. Note that lately I have been gluing down the ends of my bar tape.

When I got back to the world in the late 70's I used colorful Foam Handle Bar Grips. They provide about as much padding as you can get. Sunlite still makes um...

Amazon

There are allot of people who don't wear Gloves or Helmets. But I am no longer one of them... Ha
Old 10-16-23, 09:49 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
I like Zipp's Service Course CX tape. It has some padding, but isn't super thick and bulky. Works well without gloves.
Old 10-16-23, 10:26 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Wear gloves though even if thin gloves without padding. The reason is not for comfort but in case you crash you will likely use your hands to cushion the fall and could easily end up scraping the up badly I would rather destroy a $20 pair of gloves (or even higher priced pair) then my hands which I use for a lot of different things and couldn't imagine them being torn up and cut up and having to heal for weeks and weeks.
Yep, wear gloves. I wouldn't have knuckles if it weren't for gloves.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 10-16-23, 11:10 AM
RoadWearier

Fairly thick and durable too, but I also wear gloves. I am fighting osteoarthritis in my thumbs and wrists. If I need more padding I will run a base layer of "Wire Loom Harness Cloth Tape", also cheap on Amazon. Note that lately I have been gluing down the ends of my bar tape.

When I got back to the world in the late 70's I used colorful Foam Handle Bar Grips. They provide about as much padding as you can get. Sunlite still makes um...

Amazon

There are allot of people who don't wear Gloves or Helmets. But I am no longer one of them... Ha
Actually I may get those. Fits in with the turkey levers! Totally would remind me of the Huffy Santa Fe and Raleigh Record I had as a kid!

Now if I can just find a rattrap luggage rack that mounts to the brake plate or brake bolt!
Likes For RoadWearier:
Old 10-16-23, 11:10 AM
RoadWearier

Amazon

Are these a pain to put on?
Old 10-16-23, 11:17 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I have used Grab On Grips on several bikes. It's a sturdy closed cell foam with enough thickness to successfully dampen the worst shocks. Spread a little liquid dish detergent on the inside of the tube and it will slide on easily. When it dries, it stays in place.
Old 10-16-23, 01:00 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Any used handlebar tape has to go right away on a used bike. You have no idea what could be lurking underneath. I have a horror story bike in my shop that has more white powder than Rick James' house and tons of holes from corrosion luckily he didn't get hurt but it is disgusting and dangerous luckily we are replacing the bars and everything but bar tape soaks in sweat and holds it next to your bar and I don't know about anyone else but the idea of gripping someone else's sweat for long periods of time is just wrong.

Ergon is the way to go for just about everything. I love their grips, the saddle I am testing out has been great and their bar tape looks and feels good (though I haven't had a chance to ride it yet but will probably end up swapping to it for my next wrap job). If not that my hands have loved the Lizard Skins DSP 3.2 tape but they have a thicker version now as well.

+1 pm wear gloves

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 10-16-23, 01:35 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts

I have noticed the past few years fewer pro riders are wearing gloves which I find odd because skin is not that aero and is definitely not that protective in a crash.

I remember a bike crash in high school where I pealed/scufffed off a good amount of skin from my hands. Since it was on asphalt it did a real number. Then I learned about cycling gloves, you know the ones with the woven backs and leather palms, and have never ridden again without. Experience is the greatest teacher.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-16-23, 02:13 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I just bought a low end Raleigh Capri for riding around town. It's actually pretty decent but my expectations for $70 weren't high.

​​​​​​The neon green handlebar tape has got to go though. Plus it is very thin. Feels like I'm riding bare bar.

I had great tape on a Motobecane Giro that I just sold but I can't find where it came from.

Its nice and thick and had like gel "dots" on it for lack of a better word. It was very comfortable so if I could find it I'd be thrilled. If my description makes no sense then I'll take suggestions as well.
You'll pardon me if I think your question is incomplete. It seems you're expecting something from bars that gloves would provide, if you were only wearing gloves. Without knowing what you miss, the most logical solution is, of course, wearing gloves.

And I'm sorry, but "comfort" doesn't cut it. If some other bike was comfortable, it's quite possible the fit was responsible rather than the material on the bars. Height, drop, reach, width, etc. might make a big difference in your perceived "comfort." Not to mention, if you're significantly older now that back in those halcyon days, it could be you rather than the bar wrap -- you might have been more flexible, had better core strength or were pedaling harder to minimize weight on the bars, etc. The answer might be you're missing the fountain of youth!
Old 10-16-23, 02:49 PM
macattack71

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3, 1987 Raleigh Technium 440

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
Lizard Skins DSP 2.5. Always wear gloves.
Old 10-16-23, 03:13 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
Red Products Pro Racetape. Have it on most of my touring bikes these days. Comes in brown and black.

Old 10-16-23, 05:24 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts

Might be this. I'm very happy with it. Various colors. Not "gel dots," but it's described as having a "silicone textured surface."

MARQUE Hex Bike Handlebar Tape - Bar Tape for Road Cycling Bicycles, Drop Bar Wraps for Better Grip - 2 Rolls Per Set

Old 10-16-23, 06:23 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by pdlamb
You'll pardon me if I think your question is incomplete. It seems you're expecting something from bars that gloves would provide, if you were only wearing gloves. Without knowing what you miss, the most logical solution is, of course, wearing gloves.

And I'm sorry, but "comfort" doesn't cut it. If some other bike was comfortable, it's quite possible the fit was responsible rather than the material on the bars. Height, drop, reach, width, etc. might make a big difference in your perceived "comfort." Not to mention, if you're significantly older now that back in those halcyon days, it could be you rather than the bar wrap -- you might have been more flexible, had better core strength or were pedaling harder to minimize weight on the bars, etc. The answer might be you're missing the fountain of youth!
Interesting perspective. I guess I like the old days when riding a bike jut meant hopping on and going. I don't want to make it an event where I have to put on a lot of special gear and gloves and shoes and kit. Especially if I'm just riding down the street for a loaf of bread. I guess all I have to say is, "You ride your ride, I'll ride mine." And I'd like to do it with some comfort. I know it's possible because my last road bike had comfortable padded bars. The tape on the current ride is very thin. And yes, I agree that bike fit is important, too. I think the foam grips are a hoot! They might actually do the job and I like the idea of reconstructing the bike into one of my cheaper bikes of yesteryear. That's not everyone's cup of tea, but today it's mine!
Old 10-16-23, 08:17 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
I've been using the Bontrager Grippytack as of late and I really like it and seems to have some long life. Last a lot longer than the Lizard Skins that I was using. I loved the Lizard Skins 1.8mm, but found the more recent versions just did not last.

Old 10-16-23, 09:32 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
After trying a bunch of different handlebar tapes after Fizik discontinued their Endurance Tacky I finally settled on Arundel Synthetic Gecko. Good cushion, grippy, retains it grip when wet/sweaty, and is durable. And I only wear gloves when I need to keep my hands warm.
Old 10-16-23, 11:34 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Putting your hands out to cushion a fall is a bad idea. Tuck-n-roll.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 10-17-23, 07:33 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I like Zipp's Service Course CX tape. It has some padding, but isn't super thick and bulky. Works well without gloves.
That's my new favorite handlebar tape.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-17-23, 07:42 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Are these a pain to put on?
Easy. Just put a little bit of isopropyl alcohol on the bar and the inside of the foam and it slides right on. Give it a little time for the alcohol to evaporate and it will stay in place and not squirm on the bar. I use this stuff on my touring bars.

Otto
Old 10-17-23, 08:05 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
just recently i started going gloveless on longer rides and have to say for me unless it is cold out ie below 50F I will be sans gloves on all my 60-100 mile rides. below 50F long fingered gloves. I have fingerless gloves from Giro and Pearl Izumi and never had an issue with them but during a 100 miler I was switching from long fingered gloves once it warmed up and realized I had forgot to bring my fingerless gloves and finished the last 50 in bare hands and afterwards my hands had never felt better. first few rides it felt a little uneasy thinking if I crash but now I figure the risk is worth the reward. I am about half tempted to leave the helmet at home but have not quite got there yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.