Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

rouvy's challenges

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-23, 04:07 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
rouvy's challenges

rouvy has challenges, one of the things l like about it. i came across this one:

Conquer Climbs in France | EPIC

i rode Col du Granon | France ride yesterday, pretty intense. averaged over 400 feet per mile. i was planning on doing the Alpe d'Huez | France, the second easiest ride today but got my butt kicked shoveling about a ton of snow from my driveway. (we had quite a lot of snow in reno yesterday. for the water year (beginning oct 1) we are almost done with precipitation, with more in the forecast!)

i think this ride is going to kill me: https://my.rouvy.com/virtual-routes/detail/93502

do any of you do the challenges? do you find them challenging?
Old 01-02-23, 07:15 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by spelger
rouvy has challenges, one of the things l like about it. i came across this one:<br /><br /><a href="https://my.rouvy.com/challenges/detail/298">Conquer Climbs in France | EPIC</a><br /><br />i rode Col du Granon | France ride yesterday, pretty intense. averaged over 400 feet per mile. i was planning on doing the Alpe d'Huez | France, the second easiest ride today but got my butt kicked shoveling about a ton of snow from my driveway. (we had quite a lot of snow in reno yesterday. for the water year (beginning oct 1) we are almost done with precipitation, with more in the forecast!)<br /><br />i think this ride is going to kill me: <a href="https://my.rouvy.com/virtual-routes/detail/93502">https://my.rouvy.com/virtual-routes/detail/93502</a><br /><br />do any of you do the challenges? do you find them challenging?
<br /><br />Looks epic. My aging knees won't allow that one! My next "challenge" is to ride Alp d'Huez on Rouvy and then Zwift to compare the results. For no good reason, obviously. But YES, they are challeiging!<br /><br />;-)

Last edited by dmanthree; 01-02-23 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 01-02-23, 07:51 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I finished that challenge a few days back. Took a break during the descent on the double climb but there were parts that kicked back uphill so couldn't coast all the way down, which was annoying.
Old 01-02-23, 10:13 PM
spelger

i just did the alpe today. it has been a while since i did the zwift version but it seemed very similar sans monster. i think zwift did a good job replicating this ride. i did not know the top of the climb featured a town called alpe d'huez, thought that was just the name of the climb. would love to do this in real life.
Old 01-14-23, 07:45 PM
spelger

Just finished this today. wow was that last ride one hell of a ride. as i was going through the telegraph ride i keep thinking that the fastest rider had done it in about 2:35 hours. i was pretty upbeat about my performance, id come in only a few minutes behind. then reality sunk in when i finished and saw that he had done it in 1:35 hours, i was only an hour behind! that last hill at the end was a doozy after all that.
that first place rider has almost 3 hours on me .

Old 12-03-23, 03:20 PM
Ella Per

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those who did Alpe de Huez/Zwift on both Rouvy and Zwift - which was harder for you? did the real-world video footage make any difference or any other points you would make about the comparison? I want to do the challenge and I am hesitant on which platform I should start.
Old 12-03-23, 04:27 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Ella Per
Those who did Alpe de Huez/Zwift on both Rouvy and Zwift - which was harder for you? did the real-world video footage make any difference or any other points you would make about the comparison? I want to do the challenge and I am hesitant on which platform I should start.
What challenge are you referring to in Rouvy? There is no active challenge involving Alpe du Huez that I'm aware of. Challenges are found at https://rouvy.com/me/challenges or https://riders.rouvy.com/challenges/status/actual .

Climbing on Rouvy is harder. The bikes weigh more and I suspect the rolling resistance/aero drag of the physics model is higher compared to Zwift as well. To ride a route that counts toward a Rouvy challenge, you must ride at 100% difficulty, whereas Zwift defaults to 50% (meaning upward slopes are halved) and can be changed to whatever you want to make it easier if you aren't riding a training setup with virtual gears.
Old 12-03-23, 05:17 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Ella Per
The climb feels the same for me on both Zwift and Rouvy. I’ve ridden it for real too and it felt comparable. But it depends what trainer you are using in how well it can simulate the steeper gradients. I was using a Wahoo Kickr Bike.

Note that the scenery on Alpe du Zwift is totally different to the real climb. But the gradient profile is accurate. That’s the only obvious difference to me.
Old 12-03-23, 05:21 PM
PeteHski

i just did the alpe today. it has been a while since i did the zwift version but it seemed very similar sans monster. i think zwift did a good job replicating this ride. i did not know the top of the climb featured a town called alpe d'huez, thought that was just the name of the climb. would love to do this in real life.
Yep, Alpe d’Huez is a purpose built ski resort.
Old 12-03-23, 05:29 PM
PeteHski

Just finished this today. wow was that last ride one hell of a ride. as i was going through the telegraph ride i keep thinking that the fastest rider had done it in about 2:35 hours. i was pretty upbeat about my performance, id come in only a few minutes behind. then reality sunk in when i finished and saw that he had done it in 1:35 hours, i was only an hour behind! that last hill at the end was a doozy after all that.
that first place rider has almost 3 hours on me .

Nice one! This is very similar to the 2022 L’Etape du Tour route. That went up the Galibier, Croix de Fer and finished on Alpe d’Huez. It was a hard day!
Old 12-03-23, 05:47 PM
spelger

thanks. that was done back in January. i've only just restarted Rouvy again for the season. haven't started any challenges since i'm leaving for Korea next week for a while but looking forward to the challenges again. they have some nice ones lined up.