Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cold feet...

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Cold feet...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-08, 11:40 AM
schu777

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold feet...

I'm enjoying finding warm clothes to wear for the 4.1 miles of commute (one way) to work - so far I've done well and rather cheaply too. Right now my feet are the issue and hands/fingers next. The hand/fingers might get taken care of with ATV mitts on the Christmas list. The feet are different - I'm currently wearing SPD biking shoes with one pair of wool socks. I don't think I have any more room in the shoe for another layer of wool without compressing the foot cutting the circulation. While Christmas shopping I noticed that Wally World had some boots that were rated to go to -40F...I'm wondering if anyone had used these types of boots.

Another idea that I've had and somewhat have tried is using duct tape, plastic bag and "create" an outer bootie to keep the wind from getting into the shoe, which might keep the foot warmer, but not for sure if it's better or not, as I haven't tried it completly yet - did it on one foot and that was in warmer temps.

This morning it was 24F with wind chill getting down to 5F, temps are going to be colder tomorrow morning!

Any suggestions?

PS: I'm using platform pedals with the "flip the freaking pedal over for the straps"...
Old 12-09-08, 12:28 PM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use some pretty cheap waterproof hiking boots + warm socks + Outdoor Research gaiters ... fit right into my clips/cages. When it is really, really cold, I toss on platforms and wear my ice climbing boots.
Old 12-09-08, 06:37 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a 4 mile commute a standard cycling overboot should keep you warm. If you are strapped for cash you can buy a remnant of some thick polar fleece and make a large sock to go over the outside of the shoe. Cut a little slot for the SPD cleat and add a ripstop nylon cover on the top part if you wish it to be warmer.

For a ride as short as you have you might even be able to get by with some rubber dress shoe type galoshes/overboot. And of course cut a whole for the cleat to go through. These type are thinner and meant to be more form fitting.

https://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-70589/Detail
Old 12-09-08, 07:16 PM
neil0502
My bike's better than me!

Bikes: (2) Moots Vamoots, (1) Cannondale T2000 tourer, (1) Diamondback Response Comp mtb

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hezz
For a ride as short as you have you might even be able to get by with some rubber dress shoe type galoshes/overboot. And of course cut a whole for the cleat to go through. These type are thinner and meant to be more form fitting.

https://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-70589/Detail
Hm.

Interesting.

For those of you who have played with DIY efforts, at shoes, what would you think of this sort of galosh -- bought a size or two big, and lined with polar fleece/?? -- as a rather low-budget winter bootie??

For that matter, maybe something in a larger boot:

https://www.idealtruevalue.com/servle...ear/Categories

What say ye??
Old 12-10-08, 09:31 AM
schu777

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This morning it was 8F or a few degrees less - I took some bags and put over the single pair of wool socks - it was better, but the toes were still cold...might have to look at Sams Club in the next few nights - co-worker mentioned some type of boots that are warm. Might even check out Toasty Feet bit too...

Michael
Old 12-10-08, 10:55 AM
Hezz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
schu777,

You might try something like this 2-3 sizes large. Making room for some heavy wool socks and still retain the SPD usefulness. They should be warmer than regular cycling shoes.

https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/154...l-II-Shoes.htm
Old 12-10-08, 04:49 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
In cold temps I wear Snow sneakers from LLBean. Check out a good winter boot or invest in a good shoe cover.
Old 12-10-08, 05:10 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's another thread on this topic going right now. I posted what works for me...

Inside a roomy cycling specific shoe, a thin wool sock with baggies over them and another pair of heavier wool socks over that. That's good to the teens.

For colder temps add toe covers and colder still bring on the chemical warmers.
Old 12-10-08, 08:41 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=242591
Old 12-10-08, 08:50 PM
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour III

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Socks and sandals are working so far for me. My feet don't sweat with the open shoes, so it doesn't get too cold. I double up with 2 pairs of Icebreaker socks. Today was around 32-34, raining. Wool kept my feet pretty toasty. I would like to pick up a pair or two of neoprene/waterproof socks and a pair of shoe covers/booties to make things a bit more comfortable.
Old 12-10-08, 10:49 PM
jwa
moron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a big fan of chemical warmers for temps below ~30 F - but your shoe/boot has to be bulky enough to allow some air circulation inside. The toe warmers are more convenient (sticky-backed & thinner), hand warmers are a bit cheaper but bulkier. Neither works well when damp - so you gotta account for breathability / sweating in the socks + plastic bag arrangement.

I don't often ride in the *cold* - teens F routinely, not much lower - and cheap "hiking" boots a size or 2 bigger than usual, with duct tape on the outside covering the fabric areas (rather than using plastic bags) work fine for me, along with a single layer of socks + chem. warmer.
Old 12-11-08, 09:04 AM
UprightJoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was 24F here this morning when I left the house. I wore 1 pair of thick merino wool socks and nashbar cycling sandals. My feet were plenty warm. When it's wet, I add a pair of sealskinz over the wool socks.

The only time I've had cold toes so far this year is when I've overtightened the sandal straps and restricted my circulation a bit. Otherwise, the socks+sandals thing has been a great success.
Old 12-11-08, 09:16 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
For me:

- Real winter boots. A roomy, sturdy hiking boot that extends up to cover your ankle is a reasonable substitute, if good winter footware isn't available to you locally.
- Proper insoles in said boots.
- No cleats. It's a heat sink in winter.
- Add good (wool) socks in layers as required.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 12-12-08, 09:56 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by scoatw
In cold temps I wear Snow sneakers from LLBean. Check out a good winter boot or invest in a good shoe cover.
I have these too and they work pretty well. They are relatively light. There is a small ventilation area on top of the boot, which might cause some chilling in really cold (< 0F) temps.

The one big problem I have with them is that in walking on icy streets, they seem less stable than any boot I have owned. Not sure if it is a recent weather pattern here or just the material in the sole. (Guess I''ll have to stay on the bike )

I'm guessing any boot with thermolite insulation would afford the same warmth, just that most of them are a bit heavier.
Old 12-12-08, 10:00 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Juha
For me:

- Real winter boots. A roomy, sturdy hiking boot that extends up to cover your ankle is a reasonable substitute, if good winter footware isn't available to you locally.
--J
Around here, most hiking boots would not have enough insulation. I've gone last 3 winters with hiking boots and they have a little too much ventilation too. However, if you could find a real light-weight, unvented hiking shoe with some thermolite or other insulation, it might work.
Old 12-13-08, 11:16 AM
vger285

Bikes: Van Dessel CRB, Giant ATX 880,Footbike track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toe warmers,hand warmers,put in strategic places work very well,feet,hands, pockets etc.we road 46miles this morning and when we left it was 9degrees F,i don't know what the wind chill was,but the first down hill we came to says it was cold! A great ride and there were 8 that showed up,But the chem warmers work for all of us!