Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Weatherproof bike seat?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Weatherproof bike seat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 03:38 AM
curlyred

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weatherproof bike seat?

hi, i'm a college student and i rely on my bike to get me to class when i wake up 5 minutes before it. i also ride it religiously everywhere else, and it's gotten to the point that i can't stand a 5 minute walk when it could be a 1 minute ride. however, since i live in a dorm, i have to keep my bike outside. for about a year now, this hasn't really been a problem, but the vinyl covering over the padding on my bike seat has developed some cracks in it due to being exposed to the elements all the time. now whenever it rains, the padding soaks up water through these cracks, and then when i sit on it, it squeezes the water out into the butt of my pants. it also takes forever to dry, especially during these cold months, so even in the week after it rains, i have to walk instead of ride. i tried using a bicycle seat cover for a while, but the added hassle of carrying a wet cover around really doesn't appeal to me. i'd like to just get a seat that is made of hard plastic, so there isn't any danger of it soaking up water, and the water that lands on it can be easily wiped off. however, i can't seem to find any like this (without the padding). this is the only one that i found that might be okay. i also was concerned that a seat without padding would be really uncomfortable for long rides. does anyone know of any good seats that are able to withstand being kept outside in all types of weather, and if a seat without padding would be unbearably uncomfortable?
Old 12-17-08, 04:02 AM
Scheherezade 
12mph+ commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plastic bags that you get at the supermarket are perfect for this. Just tie it over the saddle and replace when it's full of holes. All they need is a quick brush off before you ride and you are good to go (or replace the bag if you are rich like that.) Plus, they are a natural ugly-fing factor, so it's also a natural theft deterrent, =)
Old 12-17-08, 04:21 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
plastic bags are the quick and dirty answer. FWIW I have seen plenty of bikes on the campuses with the seats split and ripped and people riding them anyway.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 12-17-08, 05:59 AM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hmmm they can't teach resourcefulness I guess.

Bet you are already riding a plain plastic saddle if you would cut that ratty cover off. If it is covered with glue you can polish off then go to the local cloth store get some naugahyde and spray glue and cover it.
Old 12-17-08, 06:41 AM
david33610

Bikes: Trek 7100, Secialized Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If have a quick release just take the saddle and seat post with you and keep it in your dorm room. If you dont have a quick release keep a wrench in your back pocket.
Old 12-17-08, 09:35 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by david33610
If have a quick release just take the saddle and seat post with you and keep it in your dorm room. If you dont have a quick release keep a wrench in your back pocket.
If you do pop the QR and take it with you, remember to put a plug or cover over the seat tube to keep it from getting rained/snowed in while there's no seatpost in there.
Old 12-17-08, 10:19 AM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Brooks saddle plus plastic grocery bag = all weather saddle . In winter I don't even need to take off the bag. It does wear through after about a month and I have to invest in a new plastic shopping bag.
Old 12-17-08, 02:29 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
On an other forum, someone suggested a shower cap.
Old 12-17-08, 02:33 PM
bckpck2rev

Bikes: Raleigh Technium(SS), Jamis Diablo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say a good, treated leather seat that you wiped off after it got wet. You probably only live a few flights upstairs, run your lazy a** down and wipe it off.
Old 12-17-08, 02:41 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can get a decent saddle on ebay for $12-$15 shipped. I say just buy a new one as needed.

https://cgi.ebay.com/Bontrager-RACE-s...3A1|240%3A1318

https://cgi.ebay.com/Bontrager-Race-L...3A1|240%3A1318

https://cgi.ebay.com/SAN-MARCO-BONTRA...3A1|240%3A1318

https://cgi.ebay.com/Bontrager-Race-L...3A1|240%3A1318
Old 12-17-08, 03:06 PM
UprightJoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was growing up, BMX saddles were always hard plastic. This might fit the bill...

https://shop.vendio.com/benscycle/ite.../?s=1229427375
Old 12-17-08, 04:36 PM
BA Commuter
Comfortably Numb!

Bikes: Jamis Commuter 3.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a shower cap as well. Store in your bag or wedge it under the seat. It works and it's cheap!
Old 12-17-08, 04:53 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I use shower caps on my nicer Brooks saddles, but on my beater bikes plastic grocery bags fill the bill...I am running out of shower caps (durned cheap hotels )

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 12-18-08, 05:42 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I use shower caps on my nicer Brooks saddles, but on my beater bikes plastic grocery bags fill the bill...I am running out of shower caps (durned cheap hotels )

Aaron
Just bought this for my Brooks Flyer Monday. Hope it shows up tomorrow or Saturday. https://www.velo-orange.com/aasaco.html
Old 12-18-08, 06:17 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Water Proofer

Apply a shoe water proofer generously every half year to your existing saddle. It works like magic. Sure, a little bit of wetness will stay on, but such that will evaporate off your clothes in no time. As more and more of padding gets exposed, you can prolong the life of your saddle using Gorilla tape.

I'd suggest not to invite trouble by following any of the leather advice given here. The leather saddles represent a religious cult, as far as I am concerned.
Old 12-18-08, 08:07 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Grim
Just bought this for my Brooks Flyer Monday. Hope it shows up tomorrow or Saturday. https://www.velo-orange.com/aasaco.html
I'm really paranoid, I have a plastic bag under my aardvark cover on my leather saddle (Ideale, not brooks. I'm a non-conformist)
Old 12-19-08, 05:18 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
https://www.fizik.com/catalog.aspx?subid=Arione_K1

Duh.