Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What saddle to use for the Bad Weather Rider

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 01:32 PM
jebensch

Bikes: Bob Jackson Super Tourer, '83 Trek 700, Gazelle Champ Mondial, Nishiki Comp II, Moto Grand Record, Peugeot UO-10 SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I have a 50 dollar barely-used Brooks Pro available to me, and I'm going to be building up an early 70's Bottecchia Professional to use as my errand runner/wet weather rider.

Do you guys avoid using the Brooks in the rain? Do you just cover it up and ride and make sure to dry it when you're done? Or should I look at a different saddle altogether for such use. Are the Regals leather also?
Old 12-17-08, 01:59 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Personally, I'd avoid using a good brooks on a bike that will get choosen over others on rainy days. I had a brooks on my commuter, but never got caught in the rain on it as I was more of a fair weather commuter when I was one at all. Even then I did carry a cover. The Regal's cover is likely leather, but since it doesn't supply the support as with the Brooks, it is a better choice in my opinion.
Old 12-17-08, 02:24 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
I'd toss a pleather Avocet on a rain bike.
Old 12-17-08, 02:41 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
I have Brooks saddles on most of my wet weather commuters. I figure that my bum is covering the saddle most of the time and am able to park in a sheltered spot otherwise, so no big deal. A little bit of water every now and then hasn't seemed to create a crisis.

Neal
Old 12-17-08, 03:09 PM
mparker326

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount P15, Fisher Montare, Proteus, Rivendell Quickbeam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I run Brooks in bad weather and have no problems.

Since Brooks were standard equipment on all those Raleigh Sports manufactured and ridden in soggy old England, I wouldn't worry about a little rain every now and again provided you use a little proofide.

I also keep a grocery store bag under my seat to cover it up if I need to leave it out in the rain.
Old 12-17-08, 03:33 PM
phillyrider
peddling fool

Bikes: Mid 50's Frejus, Late 50's Frejus, Early 1960s Frejus Professional, Mid 1960's Frejus Professional, Early 70's Gloria (branded), 76 Blue Pogliaghi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use Ideale saddles on all my commuter bikes and often ride in the rain. When it's wet, I ride philly style and just tie two plastic bags completely around the seat (protects the top and bottom). I use two in case one rips. This works fine and seats always stay dry. I just toss the bags when I'm done.

Most bikes parked on the street have grocery bags tied around the seats. They do sell plastic seat covers for Ideale and Brooks. However, in my opinion they look cheesey - so why not just use grocery bags.
Old 12-17-08, 03:44 PM
prettyshady

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on plastic bags
If I (shock horror) have leave the bike parked in the rain I used plastic bags on the seat. I come back and rip a bag off then its all dry good to go. Plus it makes the bike look terrible so helps keep the bike safe.
Old 12-17-08, 03:55 PM
UprightJoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride my Brooks saddles in all weather. I rarely have to leave my bike outside when I'm not riding it, but when I do, I toss my helmet cover over the saddle. I suppose technically, I should use a plastic bag because somebody could steal my helmet cover but nobody has ever messed with it.
Old 12-17-08, 03:58 PM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Tons of people use Brooks saddles on their touring and randonneuring bikes precisely because they provide long distance comfort in all conditions. Cover and ride.
Old 12-17-08, 04:00 PM
phillyrider
peddling fool

Bikes: Mid 50's Frejus, Late 50's Frejus, Early 1960s Frejus Professional, Mid 1960's Frejus Professional, Early 70's Gloria (branded), 76 Blue Pogliaghi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you want to go all out (fred fashion), I have forgotten shoe covers on days where the weather changes. I've done plastic bags on the seat, around the shoes, and even around the helmet (if it's raining hard enough). I arrived home happy and dry - but my family was somewhat embarassed by the get-up.
Old 12-17-08, 04:08 PM
Wino Ryder
"Purgatory Central"

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jebensch

Do you guys avoid using the Brooks in the rain?

Congrats, sounds like a real sweet bike you're building up.

The Brooks Pro can handle most anything you give it. (Remember, they're made out of 2,000,000 year old 'triceratops' skin, and is the saddle of choice during a nuclear fallout)

Just kidding, but they are pretty tough and mine has survived scores of rain storms in the 10,000 miles I have on it. Just keep it 'proofhided' real good and love it like it'll love you. The plastic bag ideas are good ones, and is a good safety measure, but I never used one on mine. Of course I keep mine 'proofhided' good too, and the only thing thats happened to it was it got darker in color.

Keep it proofhided and ride it.
Old 12-17-08, 04:54 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
Originally Posted by phillyrider
If you want to go all out (fred fashion), I have forgotten shoe covers on days where the weather changes. I've done plastic bags on the seat, around the shoes, and even around the helmet (if it's raining hard enough). I arrived home happy and dry - but my family was somewhat embarassed by the get-up.
Nice! Back in the day, I owned one of those Skid Lid helmets and would outfit it with a clear plastic shower cap for rainy days. Boy, did I get some looks with that fashion.

Neal
Old 12-17-08, 05:33 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I ride my multiple Brooks/Wrights/Ideal leather saddles in all weather conditions. I do a heavy proofide coat at least once a year, paying special attention to the underside. I also have fenders on most of my bikes. I carry a shower cap or two in the saddle bag, they get used if I have to park the bike outside in the rain. Riding is a non issue, my rear covers the saddle.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 12-17-08, 07:05 PM
graywolf

Bikes: Bianchi hybrid. Dunelt 3-sp. Raleigh basket case. Wanting a Roadster.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do not ride much in weather anymore, but back when I was commuting I used to pull the saddle and seatpost stuff a grocery bag into the tube so rain would not get in. But that was because I figure that someone would get themselfs a nice brooks simply by flipping the quick release. On the three speed where you need a wrench I cover it with a plastic grocery bag and wire tie it in place when I park the bike. Not much need to worry about riding it in the rain especially if you have fenders. I did not see it mentioned but the critical place to proofhide the saddle is the edge of the leather moisture getting in there is what causes the curl you sometimes see on the edges of the saddles. Actually in my opinion worst than moisture is the leather getting too dry, or being dried too quickly.
Old 12-17-08, 07:13 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I ride an Ideale just about everywhere, although after one good rainstorm I started taking precautions. It now lives underneath a (aardvark saddle cover) all the time, and I keep a plastic bag on hand, just to be sure.
Old 12-18-08, 09:51 AM
jebensch

Bikes: Bob Jackson Super Tourer, '83 Trek 700, Gazelle Champ Mondial, Nishiki Comp II, Moto Grand Record, Peugeot UO-10 SS

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks guys. I use the bag move too. In New York you don't even have to have the bag with you - just walk 50 feet in either direction and you can come up with one. Works for cleaning up after your dogs too!

I'll try and snag that Brooks for the Bottecchia and start building after New Years.